Nebraska on the Selection Committee Board

hhctony

14 minutes ago, royalfan said:

I would think it would be listed as USC in that instance.  Similar to how the University of California at Los Angeles will not be listed California Los Angeles.  It is an interesting point for sure.  

Yeah, but it's the NCAA so who knows? What they'll probably do is list all of the big public state schools as "University of _______"  so there's 40 teams that start with "U" and make this list a piece of garbage. 

Edited by throwback

SOS within the Big Ten (a stat on the team sheet) is as follows, along with the corresponding total season SOR and how that ranks in the Big Ten:

1: Michigan - SOR: 5 (2nd)

2: Wisconsin - SOR: 79 (9th)

3: Rutgers - SOR: 141 (14th)

4: Maryland - SOR: 57 (6th)

5: Penn State - SOR: 59 (7th)

6: Iowa - SOR: 112 (12th)

7: Purdue - SOR: 7 (3rd)

8: Northwestern - SOR: 92 (10th)

9: Indiana - SOR: 74 (8th)

10: Ohio State - SOR: 15 (4th)

11: Illinois - SOR: 122 (13th)

12: Nebraska - SOR: 34 (5th)

13: Michigan State - SOR: 4 (1st)

14: Minnesota - SOR: 106 (11th)

What I find interesting is that if the Big Ten is down, then why would Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue, Ohio State, and Nebraska outperform 90.2% of the rest of the NCAA had those teams played our schedules?

Good point - it's not like there's no evidence, NU has some metrics in its favor. Not as many as others, but it's not a slam dunk that we're out either.

But does the committee have the stones to put in a team like NU and then absorb all of the criticism from guys like Lunardi & Mandel? They'd have to also stand up to this idea that has been repeated over and over nationally until people just accept it that the Big Ten is basically the Mountain West this year.

It's a lot easier for them to put in sub-500 Big XII and ACC teams from a PR standpoint.  After all, no one wants the wrath of the Lunardi.

Here's what I know after watching a bunch of these bubble teams this week -- I'm not sure any of them do better than 13-5 playing NU's B1G schedule, and most do worse. None of them would've won at Purdue/MSU/OSU, especially as well as Purdue & MSU were playing when we played them. And as up and down as these other bubble teams are, they don't likely go 13-2 against the rest of the schedule, especially with Minny at full strength the first time we played them. But, unfortunately, it's probably not going to matter.

Edited by throwback

17 minutes ago, throwback said:

But does the committee have the stones to put in a team like NU and then absorb all of the criticism from guys like Lunardi & Mandel in the Big Ten where a team with 20+ overall wins and fewer than 7 conference losses has never missed the tournament? They'd have to also stand up to this idea that has been repeated over and over nationally until people just accept it that the Big Ten is basically the Mountain West this year.

Fixed that for you.

Honestly, no bubble team (including NU) has a beef if they get left out. Don't go under .500 in conference, don't finish below .500 in your last 10-15 games, don't lose to 200+ RPI teams, don't blow games in your biggest games against Creighton, KU, Ohio St., Penn St., or Illinois. 

Edited by TomEadesSucks

So heading into the last day, here's what I've got. The following 19 teams are fighting for 10 spots (nine if Davidson beats Rhode Island tomorrow):

Group 1: I'd be surprised if any of these teams gets left out. Obviously USC is an auto-bid if they win tonight.

Alabama, UCLA, NC State, USC, Florida State 

Group 2: I see these 11 teams vying for the final five spots (four if URI loses) - I predict the bolded get in

Texas, Louisville, Syracuse, Arizona State, Nebraska, St. Mary's, St. Bonaventure, Penn State, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Baylor

Group 3: I'd be surprised if any of these get in, but maybe it could happen

Oklahoma State, Marquette, Middle Tennessee

Edited by Cookie Miller Wasn't Dirty

13 minutes ago, Cookie Miller Wasn't Dirty said:

So heading into the last day, here's what I've got. The following 19 teams are fighting for 10 spots (nine if Davidson beats Rhode Island tomorrow):

Group 1: I'd be surprised if any of these teams gets left out. Obviously USC is an auto-bid if they win tonight.

Alabama, UCLA, NC State, USC, Florida State 

Group 2: I see these 11 teams vying for the final five spots (four if URI loses) - I predict the bolded get in

Texas, Louisville, Syracuse, Arizona State, Nebraska, St. Mary's, St. Bonaventure, Penn State, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Baylor

Group 3: I'd be surprised if any of these get in, but maybe it could happen

Oklahoma State, Marquette, Middle Tennessee

Wow. You know your stuff, Cookie. I put a lot of stock in the fact that you think Nebraska will get in. I don't agree right now, but hope I'm wrong.

2 minutes ago, HuskerActuary said:

Wow. You know your stuff, Cookie. I put a lot of stock in the fact that you think Nebraska will get in. I don't agree right now, but hope I'm wrong.

Theres so much true bubble teams this year.  You have eye test winners and losers.  You have metric winner and losers.  You have lots of win winners and losers.  You have less but better wins winners and losers.  Was surprised to hear the committee has 35 teams in field.  That becomes 34, 33, 32, and 31, and 30 if Rhody, Arizona, ACC, and SEC, and Big 12 winners get done.  

They also said said they have 14 teams under consideration.  So it’ll probably be 14 teams for 5-6 spots.

3 minutes ago, HuskerActuary said:

Thanks, I appreciate that. Maybe we can chalk it up to bias, but I just have a good feeling about it. It's pretty hard for me to justify getting in over the other four I bolded, but I believe we have a strong case against the others. Safe to say I'll be on the edge of my seat tomorrow for that Rhode Island game.

13 hours ago, TomEadesSucks said:

Honestly, no bubble team (including NU) has a beef if they get left out. Don't go under .500 in conference, don't finish below .500 in your last 10-15 games, don't lose to 200+ RPI teams, don't blow games in your biggest games against Creighton, KU, Ohio St., Penn St., or Illinois. 

Bravo sir.

Very true! Sometimes fans need to learn how to just suck it up, your team was deemed not good enough, after days upon weeks upon months of hard work by fallible humans, but humans within a system. Even if it seems unfair your team just has to do better next year, and in the meantime make the most of whatever opportunity postseason they do get.  That's how teams like uconn did it. Besides the bag dropping...perhaps a bad example. 

Not gonna say I'm content with NIT, but what happens happens, and ill move on. Will I be disappointed with their decision after a solid year in lincoln? Sure. But I'm not gonna go all crazy fanatic like some "fans" and embarrass myself. :rolleyes:

Yes, glad it is all over ( I mean finally getting all my clocks on the correct time). Oh, and getting closer to this afternoon's selection show too. What will be, will be but no reason not to hope for the best. The only thing I can see wrong with the "predictions guys" is how we are mentioned in the same group as Penn State by anyone. There is no way that they can be picked over us when we played in the same league, split our games, and had a better record. Why are they always included with us?

16 minutes ago, HuskerActuary said:

Shoot. Not an encouraging interview with Bruce. At the 1:45 mark, when asked about what the committee looked at to decide what bubble teams were most deserving, the first two things he brought up were results away from home and results against teams in the tournament. Not good for us

Well, we did have 4 conf road wins ... ?