Nebraska on the Selection Committee Board

hhctony

2 minutes ago, tcp said:

I think that was generally a tradition, if not a rule, wasn't it? I agree, tho. Tough conference or not, you still have to win some games. 

I mean, if you're losing most of your games, even to superior competition, how good are you really? 

Obviously better than beating up on mediocre Power 5 teams that are like mid-majors.  :ph34r:

3 hours ago, ladyhusker said:

I can see this, but that would also require us to do something that Michigan State couldn't do either, and Purdue barely barely achieved but it didn't feel like it at all. In those games, their starters were in until the end, but we pulled ours for the last minute or so, and Michigan also had an undefended shot at the end that ballooned the margin a little more. Michigan also looked like an 8th grade girls team at the free throw line against Purdue -- had they actually made any free throws down the stretch, that score would have resembled ours a lot more too. Had we kept it within 10, the way Michigan was playing, it would have been Herculean and yes, we'd likely be in. But I don't think it hurts us all that bad, considering how everything else played out. It just would have been a nice bonus.

Yes, you're giving me the case to defend Nebraska, which, as a fan, I pretty much get.  But my point wasn't to defend or attack us: it was to state what I'd like to think is fairly obvious--our resume is super arguable, and that's never a good thing to have during bubble week. 

4 minutes ago, tcp said:

I think that was generally a tradition, if not a rule, wasn't it? I agree, tho. Tough conference or not, you still have to win some games. 

I mean, if you're losing most of your games, even to superior competition, how good are you really? 

It seems a little ridiculous to put in 80% of a conf in the tournament because they hit the RPI jackpot and are racking up quality wins, and quality losses every time they play.

2 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

It seems a little ridiculous to put in 80% of a conf in the tournament because they hit the RPI jackpot and are racking up quality wins, and quality losses every time they play.

That's more of a one off though.   You are going to eliminate a lot of quality teams on the other hand.   Saying you have to have a winning conference record is no different than relying solely on the RPI or Quad 1 wins or etc.    Things are not equal across all playing fields.   Things have to be interpreted.

4 minutes ago, tcp said:

Yes, you're giving me the case to defend Nebraska, which, as a fan, I pretty much get.  But my point wasn't to defend or attack us: it was to state what I'd like to think is fairly obvious--our resume is super arguable, and that's never a good thing to have during bubble week. 

I think the absolute worst thing about our resume is our best win away from home (neutral or away) is Wisconsin (#109 in RPI). That is just so so so bad.

5 minutes ago, nustudent said:

That's more of a one off though.   You are going to eliminate a lot of quality teams on the other hand.   Saying you have to have a winning conference record is no different than relying solely on the RPI or Quad 1 wins or etc.    Things are not equal across all playing fields.   Things have to be interpreted.

I understand its impossible to do, it just seems like there is no emphasis on winning or losing games. I couldn't imagine the outcry in football if you had 8-5 (4-4) Alabama in a "BCS" bowl over a 11-2 (7-1) Purdue team just because the SEC is perceived be a stronger league. I understand this is the first season we've had outcry because this the first season it is us in this scenario. Seems like metrics have become so weighted, questions like are your in a power 5 conf? and did you win games? - have been lost.

42 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

I'm guessing a lot of people are going to agree in the offseason, too. RPI has its uses, but its weakness is that it's ultimately a collective measure of a conference in search of a team application.

1 minute ago, uneblinstu said:

I see.

If I'm on the committee, I want the best teams.  To do that, I want to use the best metrics and my eyes.  If the two best-ish metrics support us, and we pass the eye test as well, then we 100% should be in.  I'm not on the committee though...

Just now, hskr4life said:

If I'm on the committee, I want the best teams.  To do that, I want to use the best metrics and my eyes.  If the two best-ish metrics support us, and we pass the eye test as well, then we 100% should be in.  I'm not on the committee though...

And you're obviously not biased at all haha. If we were on the right side of the bubble right now we would love the RPI as it is and hate these metrics you're bringing up if they took us out of the field.

4 minutes ago, OmahaHusker said:

And you're obviously not biased at all haha. If we were on the right side of the bubble right now we would love the RPI as it is and hate these metrics you're bringing up if they took us out of the field.

I actually hate the RPI.  Period.  Have for years and that won't change whether it helps us or hurts us.  I think many feel the same way.  Of course I am going to bring up the positive metrics that support Nebraska.  Especially after someone says "They are the best-ish metrics to use on a resumé."  I would be less upset if we were really high on a flawed metric yet the best-ish metrics for a resumé said we shouldn't be in vs the other way around.

11 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

What I continue to struggle with is how fine of a line was forced on us 7 weeks ago to even have a shot at the tournament. That's an insane proclamation for any power conference team. Many of the current bubble teams didn't make their moves until about three weeks ago and are reaping those benefits we were never offered.

This is extremely telling.