Nebraska on the Selection Committee Board

hhctony

1 minute ago, Cookie Miller Wasn't Dirty said:

I'd put us in if I were on the committee. Don't get me wrong on that. Just saying that I can understand the arguments against us.

Oh no, don't get me wrong.  If any single poster on this board was on the committee, I have no doubt that would be one vote for the Big Red.  If not, then they probably shouldn't be posting here.  I am just saying that there are sides to both arguments here and this board is doing a nice job of pointing out both.  There is the metrics and paper side, and then there is the eye test/coach perception/how do you look side.  That is what we are up against on Selection Sunday.  Nebraska is in a very weird spot this year.  One that we're aren't used to, but also one that not a lot of teams have been in before.  We're in that spot where one committee member might think we're a shoe in, and another one didn't even have us on their radar.  Will be very interesting.

We can hush all doubt though with a strong showing at MSG.

1 minute ago, HuskerFever said:

But if the past two weeks (weekends) are any indication, most of the bubble teams will win those games they need to win. And the bubble teams that lose will not drop much.

Still a fighting chance things shift our way these next two weeks though!

I was thinking about this as well when I looked at Baylor and Texas specifically (bubble teams losing and not dropping).  If either one of them can get 1 of their last 2 they have a case to get in.  If they finish 0-2 and 7-11 in conference it will be tough to make a case for them.  OU has a much better overall resume and people were saying a 7-11 conference record would do them in.

24 minutes ago, big red22 said:

Once again RPI perception.  My Eyes tell me...

Penn State  = Kentucky

Maryland = USC

Michigan = Arizona

We also have that Minnesota game that will definitely be discussed, and Indiana is as good as or better than Utah and Oregon

I agree that Maryland and USC are comparable home wins. A home win against Michigan is not the same as a road win against Arizona. And a home win against Penn State is not the same as a neutral court win against Kentucky. And have you even watched Utah or Oregon this year?

So hopefully the committee remembers Minnesota was at full strength when we played them, but hopefully they forget that Penn State was missing their big man who averages 12 and 9? Our kryptonite is quality post players. He had 20 and 15 against us in Happy Valley. Yesterday could have been very different with him there. It's stuff like this that makes it very clear that people wear rose colored glasses on here.

12 hours ago, Cookie Miller Wasn't Dirty said:

After seeing Rasmussen in Lincoln tonight, I have a feeling we have a good shot at a play-in game if we lose a close one to Michigan. And a win vs Michigan gets us out of a play-in game. There’s always a couple teams that don’t fit into the bracket the way the metrics say they should, and I think there’s a good chance that’s us. Rasmussen had to be impressed with that showing.

I'm putting a lot more weight into what this guy is doing/saying than the people that are trying to guess what this guy is going to do.

With us being a weird team that should most years simultaneously be in and out I'm not getting bent out of shape by bracketologists.

2 minutes ago, Cookie Miller Wasn't Dirty said:

I agree that Maryland and USC are comparable home wins. A home win against Michigan is not the same as a road win against Arizona. And a home win against Penn State is not the same as a neutral court win against Kentucky. And have you even watched Utah or Oregon this year?

So hopefully the committee remembers Minnesota was at full strength when we played them, but hopefully they forget that Penn State was missing their big man who averages 12 and 9? Our kryptonite is quality post players. He had 20 and 15 against us in Happy Valley. Yesterday could have been very different with him there. It's stuff like this that makes it very clear that people wear rose colored glasses on here.

Let's not try and make the Pac 12 to be some kind of juggernaut this year though.  I have watched Utah and Oregon.  I have watched most teams in the Pac 12.  I know that you are a big paper and metrics guy, so of course they will look better than they really are.  It's the same kind of argument.  The eyes tell me and big red otherwise.  

4 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

I'm putting a lot more weight into what this guy is doing/saying than the people that are trying to guess what this guy is going to do.

With us being a weird team that should most years simultaneously be in and out I'm not getting bent out of shape by bracketologists.

That's the same boat I've been sailing in.....

6 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Let's not try and make the Pac 12 to be some kind of juggernaut this year though.  I have watched Utah and Oregon.  I have watched most teams in the Pac 12.  I know that you are a big paper and metrics guy, so of course they will look better than they really are.  It's the same kind of argument.  The eyes tell me and big red otherwise.  

I honestly haven't watched either of them. Was seriously asking because I doubt most of the people on here have really watched much outside of Nebrasketball, or at the very least the Big Ten.

Anyways... my point about Minnesota and Penn State still stands.

8 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

If Rasmussen is in our corner I feel pretty good about our chances.

I just have this hunch we're the team that gets in each year who gets their resume ripped apart on the bracket show when all the pundits start comparing us to teams that didn't make it.  The good news is those teams tend to get a win or two in the tourney to justify why they got in.

6 minutes ago, Cookie Miller Wasn't Dirty said:

I honestly haven't watched either of them. Was seriously asking because I doubt most of the people on here have really watched much outside of Nebrasketball, or at the very least the Big Ten.

Anyways... my point about Minnesota and Penn State still stands.

The only reason I watch them is that I work late and their games are the only ones on at 9-11 PM when I get home.  So I have watched my fair share of Pac 12.  Now the ACC, SEC are more I have to look at scores.  That is the main reason why I think Arizona State is a bubble team though.  I watched them against Oregon and OSU this past weekend.  My goodness.

One last thing that I will say is that we have most intangibles on our side.  Not saying they will factor into the decision at all, but we got most on our side.

1. Clean program- Bigger than we might think with the current climate.
  2. Traveling Fanbase- Huge as the NCAA want's to make as much money as possible.
  3. Cool Story- Last Power 5 team without a win in NCAA.
  4. Coach Personality- Coach Miles is liked by many around the nation.

1 hour ago, hhctony said:

You can call the RPI flawed if you wish, but that team who is also being deemed "not worthy" defeated Arizona in Tucson and Kentucky on a neutral court. Nebraska, as of this moment, can't put a single win against either of those two. To think otherwise seems flawed as well, if you ask me. Also, I don't want folks to think I am out here trying to rain on our NCAA parade. I guess I am just trying to be honest and look at things as objectively as I can, much like @Cookie Miller Wasn't Dirty and @HuskerActuary. I hope you guys don't kick us out. :-)

I will again.  The RPI is terribly flawed.  And the fact they are using it to develop quadrants is ludicrous.  

1 minute ago, royalfan said:

I will again.  The RPI is terribly flawed.  And the fact they are using it to develop quadrants is ludicrous.  

Also remember that this was not the quadrant system that many coaches wanted.  The quadrant system that they wanted was an average of all the major metrics (BPI, KPI, KenPom, SOR, SOS, and RPI).

1 hour ago, royalfan said:

Some folks on here that are on the more pessimistic side are forgetting two very important things.  Minny game is a quadrant 1 win.  Bruce said as much.  And even more important is intent of schedule.  The intent of the schedule leaves us with a very good schedule.  

and Strength of Record which is favorable and I believe he said something to the affect it is more reflective than SOS

1 hour ago, Cookie Miller Wasn't Dirty said:

And???

Teams that were worse after playing us by losing a player of substance....

UCF - Lost Tacko Fall 11pts/7 rebounds/2 blocks/.767 field goal percentage (Record without him 5-5, 12-6 with him)

St. Johns - Lost Lovett 15pts per game (8-14 Record without him, 6-1 with him)

Creighton - Lost Kramelj 12pts/8 rebounds (5-5 Record without him, 15-4 with him)

Minnesota - Lost Coffey and Lynch 24pts/12 rebounds (Record without them 2-13, 13-3 with them)

RPI can kiss my a$$, because just like at my place of business.  Data sheets never tell the whole story.  This is exactly why LOSSES should matter WAY MORE than RPI QUAD 1 wins.  You know more than a data sheet that takes the human aspect out of it

Edited by big red22