Nebraska on the Selection Committee Board

hhctony

Just now, HuskerFever said:

Don't blink now, but if Michigan State, Ohio State, and Purdue lose the remainder of their games WE'RE BIG TEN REGULAR SEASON CHAMPIONS!

(Okay, back to your regularly scheduled reality...)

My God... The Big 10 would be a 1 bid league at that point.

Is there any chance the big ten gets six (6) teams in?

If penn state wins their next two, I don't think there is any way they could be kept out. If we win out, I don't think there is any way we get kept out.

Not saying it's likely for that to happen, but it's possible, and if it did is there any way we get 6 in? Or are the committee and national media just too against the Big Ten for that to happen?

3 minutes ago, nuhusker7 said:

If penn state wins their next two, I don't think there is any way they could be kept out. If we win out, I don't think there is any way we get kept out.

Not saying it's likely for that to happen, but it's possible, and if it did is there any way we get 6 in? Or are the committee and national media just too against the Big Ten for that to happen?

Yes.  I believe there is.  We are a flipping game back of Purdue who was a 1 seed until today.  And we're out?  Really?

May not matter. Per CBSSports on the FBI probe that was released a few months ago. "This goes a lot deeper than 4 corrupt assistant coaches. When all this comes out, Hall of Fame coaches should be scared, lottery picks won't be eligible to play and almost half of the 16 teams the NCAA showed on its initial NCAA tournament show this weekend should worry about their appearance being vacated."

I was just wondering the other day about this and figured it was just old news and I wouldn't hear anything more about it. 

13 minutes ago, nuhusker7 said:

We might see six teams if Nebraska and Penn State make a run to the semifinals of the Big Ten tournament.

1 minute ago, rr52 said:

May not matter. Per CBSSports on the FBI probe that was released a few months ago. "This goes a lot deeper than 4 corrupt assistant coaches. When all this comes out, Hall of Fame coaches should be scared, lottery picks won't be eligible to play and almost half of the 16 teams the NCAA showed on its initial NCAA tournament show this weekend should worry about their appearance being vacated."

I was just wondering the other day about this and figured it was just old news and I wouldn't hear anything more about it. 

It's gonna take years before anything comes of this, don't be fooled into thinking otherwise.

10 minutes ago, rr52 said:

Holy smokes!  That is huge.  My goodness.  This surely wouldn't happen this year though would it?  Also, would anyone else feel a bit... slighted... if we got our first win in a tournament that had multiple multiple teams disqualified?  I know that I really want that first win, but I also want that first win to come against... "The Best"

I just read the Yahoo Sports article and the last few sentences are...well I don't know how to describe it.

"What would happen if the information under protective order were to be released before the NCAA selection show on March 11?

A source who has been briefed on the case laughed: "You might see Tennessee-Chattanooga as a No. 2 seed." 

I guess just read it yourself on Yahoo Sports.

13 hours ago, Cookie Miller Wasn't Dirty said:

New Lunardi update still has us as the second team out.

Lunardi Logic: St Bonaventure beating La Salle is more impressive than Nebraska beating Maryland.

Oh... and Syracuse moved up one spot after losing at home to NC State.

It's like they are setting up the pretext to complain when we get in.

So here's where we stand after the Feb. 16 games:

Opponent's record: 452-392 (184-254) -- 53.6% (42.0%) -- 112 games remaining

Only Big Ten opponent record: 290-210 (115-152) -- 58.0% (43.1%) -- 57 games remaining

Opponent's non-conference record: 268-138 -- 66.0%

Only Big Ten opponent non-conference record: 175-58 -- 75.1%

13 hours ago, Silverbacked1 said:

Spot on.  What are there 109 guys who "know" how the bracket is going to be?

The other one i have a major problem with are the high school scouting,  No way some guy sitting behind a computer in New York  can tell if some kid in Nebraska is a "star" better or worse than some kid from Texas.  You can have a good guess, but...

I mean that school in Florida yesterday has 5,000 students in it.  There might be a kid that doesn't even go out because of  the sear number of players that is better than anybody on the team, conference, state...  who knows... no body.

Okay breathe deep...  thing of my good place... 

exactly. These bracket predictions and models are for the stat/number guys and the obsessed and/or worried, like blo joes like us. We can't take them seriously, although we always do. They're simply predictions and a bit of a litmus test to try to figure out where your team stands. ^_^

5 hours ago, Wolv77 said:

exactly. These bracket predictions and models are for the stat/number guys and the obsessed and/or worried, like blo joes like us. We can't take them seriously, although we always do. They're simply predictions and a bit of a litmus test to try to figure out where your team stands. ^_^

They're not an exact or precise science, but they can be a good barometer of where we stand come Selection Sunday. Sitting in the company of "Next Four Out", "First Four In", and "First Four Byes" are very different situations. It likely means we a better chance of getting in the closer we are to the positive side of the bubble.

I also do put a little stake in being part of the bubble conversation earlier rather than later, since we would be on the committee's radar of teams to pay more attention to. We're there now, but I feel like it was a slow process to get there. Especially being a week ahead of the rest of the league. That means the committee likely saw at least two fewer games of ours than other bubble teams. Not much we can do about that, but I do see it as an unfortunate circumstance.

There are really 4 kinds of bracketologists (not a joke): 1. The ones predicting who will get in. 2. The ones stating who's in based on where things stand now. 3. The ones providing click bait for media sites. 4. The ones who don't know what the #^%&$# they're doing. 

I think we're getting the most love from the prediction bracketologists and the least from the ones who say where things stand now. I don't care what 3 and 4 think. 

Jerry Palm doesn't have Skers in his first four out...he has Boise St/Bonnies/Utah/Temple.  Also has Western Kentucky as his last team in.  I think you could make a solid case right now that Nebraska should be ahead of Western Kentucky and Boise St.  Western Kentucky being "in" is a joke IMO. 

Edited by huskerbaseball13