Nebraska on the Selection Committee Board

hhctony

5 hours ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

Additionally, Lunardi has us on his radar tonight.  However, notice that he didn't say we would be in his field with a win, only that we would remain "in the hunt".  I think we have the formula down from the previous five games that is going to ultimately get us in the tournament.  Win, Rinse, Repeat!

image.png

K'know what? I'll say this here: I've always hated Lunardumb and his "clout" (respect and rep). Why is he all high and mighty? Coming from way before nebraska was ever a bubble team, before miles and co, I always disliked the guy; not because he did my teams no favors, but because his nerdy fat face was always featured FRONT AND CENTER, with no question as to validity, with ESPN. He's not all that more accurate than us other mere mortals (less so some years if I recall correctly), and always has this smug attitude about him. Maybe it's the philly accent. Idk. 

whew, I needed to get that off my chest. This guy has peeved me (but to a very slight, annoying degree, hardly noticable, like a gnat) for well over a decade now for me. :angry:

{end rant}

1 hour ago, Huskerone said:

just listened to Lunardi on the MN v Mich State game.  He has no interest in Nebraska.  BIG down, and we don't have any quadrant 1 wins. 

According to Lunardi we probably have to win out plus make the finals of the BIG tourney to just eek in.  :angry:

This is what's more furiating. Are. You. Kidding. Me.

We just beat a team that Lunardi had in the tournament for 14 weeks and now he's saying "well, that's not good enough." Well what more do you want?????

6 minutes ago, Raidsker said:

It seems quadrants have been set up more to identify bad losses instead of good wins...

And I want PSU to win out until we beat em!

If PSU wins out until then and Michigan loses to either Ohio State or at Maryland, then PSU is the 5 seed.  I don't think you'd want them back-to-back.  But also if that happens there's a non-zero chance that Penn State would lose to Minnesota in the 5 vs 12-13 game.  And another game vs. Minnesota would not do much for us.

Edited by Dead Dog Alley

18 minutes ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

If PSU wins out until then and Michigan loses to either Ohio State or at Maryland, then PSU is the 5 seed.  I don't think you'd want them back-to-back.  But also if that happens there's a non-zero chance that Penn State would lose to Minnesota in the 5 vs 12-13 game.  And another game vs. Minnesota would not do much for us.

Psu isnt going to win out.  They'll be lucky to win more than two of four even as hot as they are.

Osu

At purdue

Michigan

At Nebraska

...yeah ... Nope.

... And I will add if they do they'll be a top 40 rpi and probably the game in new york will be for the fifth bid.

...still... Nope.

Edited by kleitus

1 hour ago, Wolv77 said:

K'know what? I'll say this here: I've always hated Lunardumb and his "clout" (respect and rep). Why is he all high and mighty? Coming from way before nebraska was ever a bubble team, before miles and co, I always disliked the guy; not because he did my teams no favors, but because his nerdy fat face was always featured FRONT AND CENTER, with no question as to validity, with ESPN. He's not all that more accurate than us other mere mortals (less so some years if I recall correctly), and always has this smug attitude about him. Maybe it's the philly accent. Idk. 

whew, I needed to get that off my chest. This guy has peeved me (but to a very slight, annoying degree, hardly noticable, like a gnat) for well over a decade now for me. :angry:

{end rant}

His job is incredibly easy. ESPN touts him every year by saying, “He got 65 out of the 68 teams right!” Sounds great and all, but there’s really only about 4-5 toss ups each year and it’s a complete guessing game out of a pool of maybe 8 teams for who will fill those spots. Missing 3 of them is not that impressive.

Edited by Cookie Miller Wasn't Dirty

I’m disappointed/pissed off about Shon Morris from BTN. 

1. It’s a positive when more of your teams from the conference become tournament type teams.

2. You work for BTN, let the “has been” NBA players from CBS knock the BIG. There is no gain from you doing it on the confrence’s own network. 

I just don’t get trying to dog on NU after what was clearly a big win at home? Last I checked, that win made us a stronger bubble team. 

1 hour ago, oly_10 said:

I’m disappointed/pissed off about Shon Morris from BTN. 

1. It’s a positive when more of your teams from the conference become tournament type teams.

2. You work for BTN, let the “has been” NBA players from CBS knock the BIG. There is no gain from you doing it on the confrence’s own network. 

I just don’t get trying to dog on NU after what was clearly a big win at home? Last I checked, that win made us a stronger bubble team. 

TBH one of the things I like about the BTN is that it's not just a rah-rah for the Big 10 conference channel. They'll certainly highlight the positives but If there is something to criticize they will and if there is something inbetween they'll look at it.  We should be in if we go 14-4 in conference and end at 23-10 (losing first round)...that doesn't mean we will be. Jim Delaney wants football games on Friday? They'll talk about the pros and cons.

Just keep winning and let others make excuses.  The way things are playing out, I can see 2-3 schools in the Big 12, ACC, and SEC that are projected to be in now but end up with .500 or worse records over the last 20 games. Nebraska will be 16-4 in its last 20 games, assuming it wins out the rest of the regular season.  Even if Oklahoma wins out, it finishes 12-8 in its last 20 games.  Kentucky and Arizona St., assuming both win out, will be 14-6 in their last 20.  Florida St, best case scenario, will finish 13-7.  Oklahoma, Kentucky, Arizona St., and Florida St. are all in the discussion with Oklahoma, Kentucky, and Arizona St down as "should be in".  It will be interesting to hear the argument how Nebraska is left out if those four schools (or some of the similarly situated schools) are let in after limping to the finish.

4 minutes ago, noahjb24 said:

If our jerseys said Maryland, or Butler, or someone else thats always over valued, what are we a 7 seed right now???

Still wouldn’t have any Tier 1 wins, would be playing in the awfully down Big 10, and would have your best win against a ranked Michigan team by 20 points.  So I would say probably a 10-11.  But no play in either.

I truly believe that a lot of these National guys are certainly looking at the name on the front.  Honestly... if you switch Michigan and Our records around, I bet Michigan is ranked and in with our schedule and we are currently outside looking in with theirs.

Of all the website I've looked at, the one below is my favorite because I think it more closely reflects reality.  Right now, we are listed at a 46% probability of making the tournament.  If we get to 23 wins that jumps to 80%, with 24 wins being a near lock.  I think its safe to assume that even if we win out in the regular season, our RPI and most computer metrics will be somewhere between 45-50, which is still very bubbly as far as computer rankings.  I agree with a lot of the sentiment here that its hard to trust the selection committee to put Nebraska in based off the eye test as I think they are in love with the faulty quadrant system.  Hopefully I'm wrong on this but I do think getting to 23 wins is critical and unfortunately still no guarantee.

https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/team/nebraska-cornhuskers/bracketology

12 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Still wouldn’t have any Tier 1 wins, would be playing in the awfully down Big 10, and would have your best win against a ranked Michigan team by 20 points.  So I would say probably a 10-11.  But no play in either.

I truly believe that a lot of these National guys are certainly looking at the name on the front.  Honestly... if you switch Michigan and Our records around, I bet Michigan is ranked and in with our schedule and we are currently outside looking in

We don’t have a Tier 1 win only because of a technicality: the Minnesota win was over a #14 team at full strength—the refusal to recognize and value this fact is a defect and bias in the system.

And there are some massively-overrated teams ahead of us in the RPI, which also reveals the defects and bias in the system.  Examples are St. Bonaventure, Buffalo and Vermont.  And how can a team be rated 23 with losses by 14, 20 and 22 in the last 9 games?  “Bias” is the answer.  It’s the same bias that won’t recognize the value of our first Minnesota win and that continues to say (without any means of verification) that the B1G is “awfully down.”

And, speaking of "awfully down," we must note that one of our lowly B1G cellar dwellers, Rutgers, has beginning of the season wins over two Big East teams: St. John's (when it was at full strength) and Seton Hall.  

Edited by Swan88