Nebraska on the Selection Committee Board

hhctony

46 minutes ago, royalfan said:

Yes, I may start changing my tune.  Assuming the committee will be smart, well you know how the saying goes with assuming.  Quadrants are absolutely ludicrous and to make them worse, they are based off of the most flawed metric possible.  If they would base them off of the average of the 6 metrics, instead of the worst metric by far, then it would make more sense.  

The Quadrants aren’t perfect, but I think the key point is to compare everyone’s best wins. Fact is we’re lacking them, other bubble teams aren’t. And that should be a major part of the decisions IMO.

There was a reddit thread where lots of college basketball fans were impressed with Nebraska. They defended the resume by saying most of our big win opportunities came early when we clearly weren’t playing as well, so it’s not our fault that we’re playing bad teams in February. Hopefully the committee feels the same.

9 minutes ago, Cookie Miller Wasn't Dirty said:

The Quadrants aren’t perfect, but I think the key point is to compare everyone’s best wins. Fact is we’re lacking them, other bubble teams aren’t. And that should be a major part of the decisions IMO.

There was a reddit thread where lots of college basketball fans were impressed with Nebraska. They defended the resume by saying most of our big win opportunities came early when we clearly weren’t playing as well, so it’s not our fault that we’re playing bad teams in February. Hopefully the committee feels the same.

Not only are they not perfect, they are an epic fail being based on horribly flawed RPI.  As Bilas put it the other day, garbage in, garbage out.  I would have thought that Rasmussen was smarter than that.  Creighton is supposed to be a prestigious academic institution, yet their AD mentions quadrants about 50 times in 16 minutes.  

Edited by royalfan

4 hours ago, royalfan said:

Not only are they not perfect, they are an epic fail being based on horribly flawed RPI.  As Bilas put it the other day, garbage in, garbage out.  I would have thought that Rasmussen was smarter than that.  Creighton is supposed to be a prestigious academic institution, yet their AD mentions quadrants about 50 times in 16 minutes.  

One thing I really didn't like about listening to Rasmussen talk about the quadrants is he kept talking about wins away from home. And then he would tout that a certain team had most of their road wins being tier 1. Doesn't make sense because some of those are probably tier 1 because of the fact that they were on the road. It's like he was saying signature win like a 1-25 but then was adding to it that it was also on the road. No. They were probably top 75 and those are already accounted for within the tier system. No need to give double credit.

NIT-ology has us as a No. 1 seed as of Feb. 11 after posting this on Jan. 15:

"Looking at 18-13 and 9-9 in the Big Ten, so certainly enough wins. They’re looking at an RPI around 125/130 according to RPIForecast with just two wins in Tier 1 or 2 (because of how down the Big Ten is), so it’s hard to see the Cornhuskers making a legit run at an NIT bid. An unexpected win at Minnesota or Michigan would certainly help."

So that's progress.

16 minutes ago, ajb5856 said:

One thing I really didn't like about listening to Rasmussen talk about the quadrants is he kept talking about wins away from home. And then he would tout that a certain team had most of their road wins being tier 1. Doesn't make sense because some of those are probably tier 1 because of the fact that they were on the road. It's like he was saying signature win like a 1-25 but then was adding to it that it was also on the road. No. They were probably top 75 and those are already accounted for within the tier system. No need to give double credit.

That is completely bogus!! 

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/page/bubblewatch021318/lock-north-carolina-tar-heels-ohio-state-buckeyes

As expected, we're listed as "Work Left to Do". The only other Big Ten teams are MSU, Purdue, OSU, and Michigan. Michigan is listed as "Should Be In" and the other three are "Locks".

I thought the write-up was pretty much as I expected. They like how we're playing, but are concerned about quality wins.

Additionally, Lunardi has us on his radar tonight.  However, notice that he didn't say we would be in his field with a win, only that we would remain "in the hunt".  I think we have the formula down from the previous five games that is going to ultimately get us in the tournament.  Win, Rinse, Repeat!

image.png

Edited by Nebrasketball1979

39 minutes ago, Cookie Miller Wasn't Dirty said:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/page/bubblewatch021318/lock-north-carolina-tar-heels-ohio-state-buckeyes

As expected, we're listed as "Work Left to Do". The only other Big Ten teams are MSU, Purdue, OSU, and Michigan. Michigan is listed as "Should Be In" and the other three are "Locks".

I thought the write-up was pretty much as I expected. They like how we're playing, but are concerned about quality wins.

This B1G 10 is down stuff needs to stop.  How is Penn State not listed here?  They have Ohio State, @Purdue, Michigan and @Nebraska still left on their schedule.  They are 18-9! Ummmm they still have a shot to get in, and they may be the scariest team to play right now! 3-1 with those 4 games, with a win in the BIG tournament gets them in without a doubt.

Could be the only team in the B1G 10 getting less love than us.  That means they are playing with a chip on their shoulders as well

Edited by big red22

33 minutes ago, big red22 said:

This B1G 10 is down stuff needs to stop.  How is Penn State not listed here?  They have Ohio State, @Purdue, Michigan and @Nebraska still left on their schedule.  They are 18-9! Ummmm they still have a shot to get in, and they may be the scariest team to play right now! 3-1 with those 4 games, with a win in the BIG tournament gets them in without a doubt.

Could be the only team in the B1G 10 getting less love than us.  That means they are playing with a chip on their shoulders as well

I think the article would get a little cluttered if they included every team that could make a run to get in. My guess is they considered a 3-1 finish with that schedule to be a little unrealistic. I don't think it's an indication that PSU has no chance. It's just that they aren't really close to the bubble as of now. Their RPI is 86th.

Just did a little research to see if they left off similar teams from other conferences, and they did:

- Marquette (RPI 65) - could get in with 4-1 finish

- Oregon (RPI 79) - could get in with a 4-2 finish

- Boston College (RPI 85) - could get in with 5-1 finish

- Oklahoma State (RPI 89) - could get in with 5-1 finish

Hate to say it, but the Big Ten just isn't that good this year. The bottom 5 teams are all worse than every team in the Big XII. The middle of the pack (PSU, Indiana, NW, Maryland) is not impressive. The top 3 can match up with just about any conference, and I think the Nebraska-Michigan combo is an okay 4-5 punch, but everything below that line is not good.

Edited by Cookie Miller Wasn't Dirty

2 minutes ago, Huskerone said:

just listened to Lunardi on the MN v Mich State game.  He has no interest in Nebraska.  BIG down, and we don't have any quadrant 1 wins. 

According to Lunardi we probably have to win out plus make the finals of the BIG tourney to just eek in.  :angry:

He's off his meds. If we get to 23 wins and have an RPI in the 40s, we're in, no question.

6 minutes ago, Huskerone said:

just listened to Lunardi on the MN v Mich State game.  He has no interest in Nebraska.  BIG down, and we don't have any quadrant 1 wins. 

According to Lunardi we probably have to win out plus make the finals of the BIG tourney to just eek in.  :angry:

Lunardi's just some East Coast self-promoter with a bad hairpiece.

At the risk of sounding like an insane conspiracy theorist...

I have to wonder a little bit of Lunardi's consistent dismissal of Big Ten teams has anything to do with the BTN vs ESPN slating of games. If I'm remembering correctly (and I don't know where I heard this but think I did), ESPN has so many fewer Big Ten games than usual because of cash considerations, or something like that. It isn't just Nebraska that's not on ESPN as much, it's pretty much the whole conference. As a result, is it at all possible that ESPN is a little salty, and pushing the narrative that the Big Ten is SO SO SO DOWN (when maybe it's just only kind of down, and when other conferences whose games are shown more on ESPN have this sort of phenomenon they call it "parity"), but at the end, if we do come close to his prescribed scenario, then it becomes a "WELL OBVIOUSLY with a run like THAT they're in" thing.

I mean, I can go back to folding up my tinfoil hat, but I do wonder a little.

1 minute ago, ladyhusker said:

I have to wonder a little bit of Lunardi's consistent dismissal of Big Ten teams has anything to do with the BTN vs ESPN slating of games. If I'm remembering correctly (and I don't know where I heard this but think I did), ESPN has so many fewer Big Ten games than usual because of cash considerations, or something like that. It isn't just Nebraska that's not on ESPN as much, it's pretty much the whole conference. As a result, is it at all possible that ESPN is a little salty, and pushing the narrative that the Big Ten is SO SO SO DOWN (when maybe it's just only kind of down, and when other conferences whose games are shown more on ESPN have this sort of phenomenon they call it "parity"), but at the end, if we do come close to his prescribed scenario, then it becomes a "WELL OBVIOUSLY with a run like THAT they're in" thing.

I like it

2 minutes ago, ladyhusker said:

I thought you were going to say tin foil culrers or rollers or what ever you call them.

On 2/12/2018 at 5:49 PM, jayschool said:

NIT-ology has us as a No. 1 seed as of Feb. 11 after posting this on Jan. 15:

"Looking at 18-13 and 9-9 in the Big Ten, so certainly enough wins. They’re looking at an RPI around 125/130 according to RPIForecast with just two wins in Tier 1 or 2 (because of how down the Big Ten is), so it’s hard to see the Cornhuskers making a legit run at an NIT bid. An unexpected win at Minnesota or Michigan would certainly help."

So that's progress.

wait... that record appears to be last year's record. typo, perhaps? we don't have 13 wins *MonkaS:blink:

11 minutes ago, ladyhusker said:

YES. this makes sense from a money perspective, which ESPN has quite the running history with. I'm in! 

I live in OK so other than Nebraska I watch a lot of BigXII games. I'll say this. The top of the B1G is better than the top of the BigXII. The BigXII has a lot of good teams (but no national title contender) and no bad teams.  That said, Nebraska could compete with any of them.  For instance, I'd take the Huskers in a neutral court game against OU.  

The BigXII, had a real nice non conference season this year and now that they've gotten into conference the teams that looked great in the non conference are losing and bringing up the rest of the league.  

34 minutes ago, Huskerone said:

It was.... win out.

Now that we’re close, it’s win out and probably 1-2 more.

Hell, we win the entire Big 10 tournament and they’ll be saying we’re probably First 4 out.

Edited by hskr4life