Nebraska on the Selection Committee Board

hhctony

With the new tier system the selection committee is using, we should all have on our maize and blue tonight and pull for a Michigan win over Purdue.  They are only a few RPI spots away from being in the top 30 and giving us a resounding Tier 1 win.  It also would be equally as nice to have Ohio St. finish 1st with us as the likely 4/5 seed in the Big 10 tournament since we match up much better with Ohio St than Purdue.

30 minutes ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

With the new tier system the selection committee is using, we should all have on our maize and blue tonight and pull for a Michigan win over Purdue.  They are only a few RPI spots away from being in the top 30 and giving us a resounding Tier 1 win.  It also would be equally as nice to have Ohio St. finish 1st with us as the likely 4/5 seed in the Big 10 tournament since we match up much better with Ohio St than Purdue.

I think their is a realistic scenario where they could go 13-5 and still end up as a Tier 1 win for us.  So I am okay with them winning tonight if they find two more losses.  I am hoping for a 13-5 tie where we get the bye and then another shot at them.  In my dreamt up scenario our only remaining loss is at Minnesota.

Based on Lunardi's First Four Out and Next Four Out, here's how their remaining schedules look:

First Four Out:

Virginia Tech: 4 ranked opponents

Baylor: 6

Georgia: 5

St. Bonaventure: 1

Next Four Out:

Boise State:  1 ranked opponents

Maryland: 3

Washington: 2

Western Kentucky: 0

There's many opportunities to rise and fall for most of these teams.

10 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

Based on Lunardi's First Four Out and Next Four Out, here's how their remaining schedules look:

First Four Out:

Virginia Tech: 4 ranked opponents beat Washington, Iowa and Ole Miss. Carolina sweet pelt.

Baylor: 6 2-6 in the Big 12, but beat Wisconsin and Creighton.

Georgia: 5 Interesting case here. 3-5 in the SEC so they need to start winning. Beat SDSU, Marquette, Temple and St. Mary's.

St. Bonaventure: 1 defeated Maryland and won at Syracuse. Lost to Niagara and TCU. 3-4 in the Atlantic 10. B)

Next Four Out:

Boise State:  1 ranked opponents Lost to Iowa State and SMU. Won at Oregon.

Maryland: 3 non-conference losses are St. Bonaventure and Syracuse. Defeated Butler.

Washington: 2 defeated Kansas. No real bad losses. NC: Gonzaga, VT, Providence

Western Kentucky: 0 defeated Purdue and SMU, lost to Missouri State, Ohio, Wisconsin

There's many opportunities to rise and fall for most of these teams.

Just a kind of comparison to Nebraska, I bolded some key games for them above.

My question is, how much credit will the committee give us for beating a full strength Minnesota team? That would be extremely helpful. Hopefully the committee uses the "eye test". We've gone toe to toe with Creighton, KU, OSU, and even gave Purdue a decent battle. No doubt in my mind we look like a tournament team, even if the record doesnt reflect it.

8 minutes ago, TomEadesSucks said:

My question is, how much credit will the committee give us for beating a full strength Minnesota team? That would be extremely helpful. Hopefully the committee uses the "eye test". We've gone toe to toe with Creighton, KU, OSU, and even gave Purdue a decent battle. No doubt in my mind we look like a tournament team, even if the record doesnt reflect it.

I couldn't say definitively since they're under a new evaluation system, but I would assume they're not going to out that much thought into giving us credit unless there's someone in that room who is willing to back us up.

22 minutes ago, TomEadesSucks said:

It has been reported that the committee has put an emphasis on road wins over home wins.  Looking at the quadrants, that makes sense.  Assume Nebraska wins at Minnesota on February 6.  Because the game is played in Minneapolis and Minnesota's RPI is 99, Nebraska would have a quadrant 2 win.  Basically a win at Minnesota is lumped in with Nebraska's home win against Michigan because Michigan has an RPI of 36.  However, Nebraska's December home win against Minnesota is a quadrant 3 win. Even though Minnesota was at full strength in December, the win loses its luster because it was a win in Lincoln.  

Unfortunately, Nebraska's upcoming schedule only has two (2) quadrant 2 potential wins: @ Minnesota and Maryland at home.  Wisconsin could be a quadrant 2 win if it moves up 3 more RPI spots.  Otherwise, the rest of Nebraska's games are looking like quadrant 3 games (ouch).  That is what makes losing to Penn State so painful.  It would have been a quadrant 2 win because it was on the road.

2 hours ago, TomEadesSucks said:

I think not winning at least one of those close games will do us in....along with the loss to St John's. The committee values quality wins more than avoiding bad losses. That 2013-14 run we beat what was a ranked Miami at home in non con. Beat ranked Ohio State and Wisconsin. And went on the road and beat MSU. This year's resume falls way short thanks to the big ten also being bad this year. 

7 hours ago, OmahaHusker said:

I think not winning at least one of those close games will do us in....along with the loss to St John's. The committee values quality wins more than avoiding bad losses. That 2013-14 run we beat what was a ranked Miami at home in non con. Beat ranked Ohio State and Wisconsin. And went on the road and beat MSU. This year's resume falls way short thanks to the big ten also being bad this year. 

We also went 1-2 in the Charleston Classic, dropping to UMASS and UAB, went on a five game losing streak, had the drama with Biggs around the time we had a disappointing loss at Cincinnati, and didn't get our first true road win until the 2nd week in February.

We can find flaws in any schedule. It all comes down to what the committee values and what baggage they're willing to set aside.

Edited by HuskerFever

9 hours ago, TomEadesSucks said:

This is undoubtedly the greatest unknown.  I think we're going to have to hope that the committee isn't sabermetric reliant and does have rationale discussions about how teams actually look and compete.  If decisions are based solely on computer numbers, we are going to have an issue unless we can pick up at least 1 high quality win in the Big 10 tournament.  Otherwise, lets just hope the committee gives partial credit for close losses kind of like some teachers did in school when you missed a problem but at least showed your work.  We've showed very well since Mid-December and that is hopefully worth something!

I gotta be honest, the situation we are in right now scares me. I see other teams on the bubble that are in similar positions as us but it seems like they always have one advantage on us in at least one category. Whether it be Tier I wins, RPI, remaining ranked opponents left, etc.... Like a lot of you have said, there's more than enough time for those bubbles to burst, and being realistic here we don't have a great track record of finishing off the season strong either. We have a lot of work left to do, but I am confident this year that we can hold up our end of the deal. The thing that I believe that is being overlooked to be in our favor is our head coach. Whether or not you like him, TM is an engaging figure and draws a crowd. He seems to be very much liked in the national media and has a history of drawing attention, whether good or bad. And it doesn't hurt having friends in the media such as Andy Katz, who will broadcast to the country that he believes in us. A lot of folks don't tune in to BTN, and they probably think of Nebraska as same old same old. But having members of the national media give us attention and exposure gives me a bit of confidence that when comparing two equal bubble teams at the beginning of March, who knows what the deciding factor will be. It doesn't hurt having a great traveling fan base and an attention-grabbing head coach. After all, this is all just a business...

So I had some extra time today... The following are all the brackets on bracket matrix and where we are at.  Whew this was a chore.  Anything that mentioned Nebraska I put in yellow.  Any bracket that we are in is in green.  Anything where Nebraska isn't even mentioned is in red.  Penn State is a 5th team out in a recent bracket.  WOW.

Ok here we go...

131-- Updated January 26th-- We are not in the field and are not in the first or next four out.  Have been in and out of "next four out"

B3-- Updated January 26th-- Not in field or first and next four out.

BBP-- Updated January 26th-- Not in field or first and next four out.  3 seed in the NIT prediction... they have us playing Boston College which I would doubt happens again.

Beyond-- Updated January 26th-- Not in field, but we are the 10th team out (next next four out)

Bingo-- Updated January 26th-- Not in field, but we are the 7th team out.

Brodd-- Updated January 26th-- Not in field, but we are in the mix with 18 other teams.

DB-- Updated January 26th-- Not in field or the first four out.

Eye-- Updated January 26th-- Not in field or the first four out.

HM-- Updated January 26th-- Not in field or the first 8 out.

KHB-- Updated January 26th-- Not in field, not in first 4 out, not in next 5 out.

RSN-- Updated January 26th-- Not in field, not in first four out, not in next four out, not in four more.

SBN-- Updated January 26th-- Not in field, not in first four out, not in next four out, In others considered.

T-Rank-- Updated January 26th-- We are the 18th team out.

TR- Updated January 26th-- We have a 5% Chance at making the tournament.

WAG-- Updated January 26th-- Not in first four out, we are in others considered.

YUSAG-- Updated January 26th-- Not in field, not in first 16 teams out.

Brad-- Updated January 26th-- Not in field, 4 seed in NIT.

BV-- Updated January 26th-- Not in field, not in first or next four out.

CBS-- Updated January 26th-- Not in field, Not in first four out.

DD-- Updated January 26th-- Not in field, no bubble that I can see

Del-- Updated January 26th-- Not in field, not in first four out.

RM-- Updated January 26th-- Not in field, not in first or next four out.

Roto-- Updated January 26th-- Not in field, can't find bubble.

DII-- Updated January 26th-- Not in field, not in first or next four out.  **Was in next four out yesterday.**

GD-- Updated January 26th-- Not in field, but we are a "LONGSHOT"

BoW-- Updated January 26th-- Not in field, we are the 4th team out.

CP68-- Updated January 26th-- Not in field, or first four out.

Ivar-- Updated January 25th-- Not in field, not in first four out, not in next four out, not in the others considered.

REAL-- Updated January 25th-- Not in field

ESPN-- Updated January 25th-- Not in field, not in first or next four out.

HHD-- Updated January 25th-- Not in field, couldn't find bubble.

HTTV- Updated January 25th-- Not in field, not in first or next four out.

RWX-- Updated January 25th-- Not in field, can't find bubble.

SI-- Updated January 25th-- Not in field, not in first or next four out.

Zac-- Updated January 25th-- Not in field, not in first or next four out.

TRMD-- Updated January 25th-- Not in field, not in first or next four out.  ** PENN STATE IS IN THE NEXT FOUR OUT... UHH WHAT?**

RB-- Updated January 24th-- Not in field, not in first four out, not in next four out.

Seed-- Updated January 24th-- Not in field, not in first or next four out, we are the 13th team out.

DI-- Updated January 24th-- Not in field, no bubble

Res-- Updated January 24th-- Not in field, not in first or next four out.

Mind-- Updated January 24th-- Not in field, not in first, next, or third four out.

17th-- Updated January 23rd-- We were not in the field, no first out that I can see.

B12-- Updated January 23rd-- Not in field or first and next four out.

Beef-- Updated January 23rd-- Not in field, but we are the 8th team out.

MJ-- Updated January 23rd-- Not in field, but we are the 14th team out.

PS-- Updated January 23rd-- Not in field, first four out, or next four out.

Spidey-- Updated January 23rd-- Not in field.  Can't find first or next four out.

Bust-- Updated January 23rd-- Not in field, not in first or next four out.

JW-- Updated January 23rd-- Not in field, not in first four out.

BKS-- Updated January 22nd-- Not in field, not in first four out, not in others considered.

BoB-- Updated January 22nd-- Not in field, not in first four out, not in next four out.

BR-KM-- Updated January 22nd-- Not in field, Not in first 5 out, not in next 7 out.

brac-- Updated January 22nd--Not in field, we are the 10th team out.

BrP-- Updated January 22nd-- Not in field, we are the first team out.

CPP-N-- Updated January 22nd-- Not in field, not in first four out.

CSM-- Updated January 22nd-- Not in field, no bubble that I can see.

CSV-- Updated January 22nd-- Not in field, not in first or next four out.

F&B-- Updated January 22nd-- Not in field, 15th team out.

F&F-- Updated January 22nd-- Not in field, not in first or next four out.

FCP-- Updated January 22nd-- Not in field, not even mentioned as a bubble team.

FOX-- Updated January 22nd--Not in field, not in first four out.

Gade-- Updated January 22nd-- Not in field, not in first four out.

H&H-- Updated January 22nd-- Not in field, not in first or next four out.

Haus-- Updated January 22nd-- Not in field, not in first or next four out.

HERO-- Updated January 22nd-- Not in field, Not in first four out.

ISW-- Updated January 22nd-- Not in field, not in first four out.

KRB-- Updated January 22nd-- Not in field, can't find bubble.

NPB-- Updated January 22nd-- Not in field, not on bubble.

Oak-- Updated January 22nd-- Not in field, 12th team out.

RBB-- Updated January 22nd-- Not in field, not in first or next four out.

TABS-- Updated January 22nd--11 Seed and on bubble!

TSN-- Updated January 22nd-- Not in field, not in first or next four out, we are in others considered.

WMUR-- Updated January 22nd-- Not in field, first four out, next four out, or four more.

AB-- Updated January 21st-- Not in last four out, not in field.

Boil-- Updated January 21st-- Not in field, not in first four out.

HvG-- Updated January 21st-- Not in field, no bubble.

JH-- Updated January 21st-- Not in field, no bubble.

Kyle-- Updated January 21st-- Not in field, not in first out.

Selje-- Updated January 21st-- Not in field, not in first four out.

Bball-- Updated January 20th-- Not in field, not in first or next four out.  We are the first team on "Bubble Inception."

SCHW-- Updated January 20th-- Not in field, not in first or next four out.

BEIS-- Updated January 19th-- Not in field or first out.

Heat-- Updated January 19th-- Not in field, not in first or next four out.

KY-- Updated January 19th-- Not in field, not in first, next four out, or others.

BSB1-- Updated January 19th-- Not in field, no bubble.

GM-- Updated January 17th-- Not in field, not in first or next four out.

RFS-- Updated January 17th-- Not in field, not in first or next four out.

GP-- Couldn't find the bracket on the twitter account.

BIG-- Couldn't find bracket.

RTS-- Couldn't open it.

8 minutes ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

What's even more remarkable is that out of the nearly 100 projections, only one is accurate!

Tournament projections are stupid.  Almost as bad as mock drafts. Which are almost as bad as fantasy teams.

1 hour ago, hskr4life said:

So I had some extra time today... The following are all the brackets on bracket matrix and where we are at.  Whew this was a chore.  Anything that mentioned Nebraska I put in yellow.  Any bracket that we are in is in green.  Anything where Nebraska isn't even mentioned is in red.  Penn State is a 5th team out in a recent bracket.  WOW.

Ok here we go...

131-- Updated January 26th-- We are not in the field and are not in the first or next four out.  Have been in and out of "next four out"

BBP-- Updated January 26th-- Not in field or first and next four out.  3 seed in the NIT prediction... they have us playing Boston College which I would doubt happens again.

Beyond-- Updated January 26th-- Not in field, but we are the 10th team out (next next four out)

Brodd-- Updated January 26th-- Not in field, but we are in the mix with 18 other teams.

KHB-- Updated January 26th-- Not in field, not in first 4 out, not in next 5 out.

RSN-- Updated January 26th-- Not in field, not in first four out, not in next four out, not in four more.

SBN-- Updated January 26th-- Not in field, not in first four out, not in next four out, In others considered.

WAG-- Updated January 26th-- Not in first four out, we are in others considered.

DII-- Updated January 26th-- Not in field, not in first or next four out.  **Was in next four out yesterday.**

Ivar-- Updated January 25th-- Not in field, not in first four out, not in next four out, not in the others considered.

TRMD-- Updated January 25th-- Not in field, not in first or next four out.  ** PENN STATE IS IN THE NEXT FOUR OUT... UHH WHAT?**

RB-- Updated January 24th-- Not in field, not in first four out, not in next four out.

Seed-- Updated January 24th-- Not in field, not in first or next four out, we are the 13th team out.

Mind-- Updated January 24th-- Not in field, not in first, next, or third four out.

17th-- Updated January 23rd-- We were not in the field, no first out that I can see.

Spidey-- Updated January 23rd-- Not in field.  Can't find first or next four out.

BKS-- Updated January 22nd-- Not in field, not in first four out, not in others considered.

BoB-- Updated January 22nd-- Not in field, not in first four out, not in next four out.

BR-KM-- Updated January 22nd-- Not in field, Not in first 5 out, not in next 7 out.

TSN-- Updated January 22nd-- Not in field, not in first or next four out, we are in others considered.

WMUR-- Updated January 22nd-- Not in field, first four out, next four out, or four more.

Bball-- Updated January 20th-- Not in field, not in first or next four out.  We are the first team on "Bubble Inception."

KY-- Updated January 19th-- Not in field, not in first, next four out, or others.

RTS-- Couldn't open it.

Wow thanks for doing this. I usually just click on the first couple brackets then get tired of looking haha. Anybody wana just make the official HHC sponsored bracket and see if we can get it up on bracketmatrix.com? Only bracket out of the 100 that has Nebraska firmly in as a 3 seed.

Edited by OmahaHusker

1 hour ago, hskr4life said:

Ok here we go...

RTS-- Couldn't open it.

Dude...that is some serious effort.  Props to you!