Nebraska on the Selection Committee Board

hhctony

1 minute ago, Chuck Taylor said:

It's not just the quads and RPI, we're not strong by any measure that the committee uses. We're 56 in KenPom, 55 in Sagarin, 63 in TeamRankings. These aren't RPI, they're analytics. So the only things that favor us are eye test and conference record. We needed to win today BAAAAAAAD. 

Strength of Record is one metric that does favor us.  That’s just one though......

Just now, The Polish Rifle said:

Kinda been his thing though, good wins are the only thing that move you up in his system - "good losses" don't effect you what-so-ever.

True. It's just that he's been tweeting a lot the last 48 hours saying Nebraska's chances are slim-to-none. Putting them as your 3rd team out seems to be a whole lot better than slim-to-none.

1 minute ago, Cookie Miller Wasn't Dirty said:

True. It's just that he's been tweeting a lot the last 48 hours saying Nebraska's chances are slim-to-none. Putting them as your 3rd team out seems to be a whole lot better than slim-to-none.

Hopefully he knows something. I wonder if Delany has any pull in any of this, seems like he wouldn't want the committee to set a precedent of leaving out 22+ win(13+ win) B1G teams.

1 minute ago, Cookie Miller Wasn't Dirty said:

The fact that we are now “slim” tells me that we were a lot closer than any of those bracketologists wanted to admit.  We’ll see how this all plays out.  Sitting on Bailey until selection Sunday. 

14 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

What's everyone's thoughts on Penn State over us in Lunardi's bracket? Seems like if it came down to it, we would be in over Penn State. Only thing they have over us is their wins over OSU. I think if we had a home game and neutral site game against OSU, our resume looks a lot different.

The selection committee has always given more emphasis to wins over high ranked teams than docked a team for bad losses, so PSU fits that bill better than we do. And that makes sense - upsets make the NCAA Tournament what it is, so they want teams that have proven they can rise up and beat better teams occasionally, rather than a steady team that does what it's supposed to do.

But if PSU can't somehow prove Watkins is healthy in the next week, there's no way the committee can take them. Plus there's the little issue that we kicked the crap out of them a week ago.

Had to laugh during end of Purdue-PSU game yesterday - Rafferty was going on about how PSU probably still deserves a bid, Chambers is such a great coach, blah, blah, blah. Then Nantz says, uhhh, you do realize Nebraska finished 13-5 in the league to PSU's 9-9 and just beat them and was the #4 seed here? Rafferty tried to laugh it off, but it just shows how little a lot of the national guys actually know when they're spouting off. Rafferty has some great stories and has created a fun persona, but if it isn't the Big East, he has no clue. Listening to him do Big Ten games this year has been utterly painful.

Unlike guys like Rafferty, just have to hope the guys on the committee really dig deep, haven't made up their minds about the quality of the Big Ten ahead of time, and aren't just giving the numbers a cursory glance, but I'm not confident in that. 

Edited by throwback

11 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

What's everyone's thoughts on Penn State over us in Lunardi's bracket? Seems like if it came down to it, we would be in over Penn State. Only thing they have over us is their wins over OSU. I think if we had a home game and neutral site game against OSU, our resume looks a lot different.

Penn State is interesting, for sure. You have the two head-to-heads with us that are split, so our win is kind of a moot point. Yeah, we won more impressively and later in the season, but they were also missing their big man.

I've definitely heard teams get knocked in the past when their impressive wins all come against one team, which for them is obviously tOSU. So hopefully that will dampen their 3-8 Quad1 record a bit.

They've lost a few games that we won (@NW, vs Wisconsin, vs Minneosta - not to mention a much worse Minnesota team than we beat at PBA). They also lost to Rider, which I don't know how the committee will view that one since Rider's RPI is 65th (better than Penn State's, actually!). In trying to be as unbiased as I can, I think I'd pick us over them, but can see the point of view of someone who'd pick Penn State.

PSU is a really interesting case.  It’s be the battle of hot and cold vs team steady.  PSU has some really good wins.  They also have some bad losses.  We have 1 good win and 1 bad loss.  It’ll be interesting to see.

Could you imagine the uproar if the Big 10 got 6 teams in!?!?  Very not likely to happen, but I would laugh my arse off if that happened.

Edited by hskr4life

I think, if they were going to take a 5th team from our league it is easier to take us and our "clean" but not great resume, that has an incredible 13-5 Big Ten Record attached to it.  There are very few bubble teams and a whole bunch of teams that are locks that would not have been able to do that against our schedule in the league.  No way in hell teams like Texas, Oklahoma, UCLA, St. Bonaventure, RI, Az st, Utah, North Carolina St, Syracuse, Kansas St., Baylor, St. Mary's, Providence, Seton Hall, Butler etc could have done that.  It is a hell of a tough thing to do.  Teams in our league like to compete hard.  The will to win is as high in our league as any.  We had to play so well to do it, that I would say we would have very little chance to do it again if we had to play it again.  But we did it this time and that should have us in the tournament.  

13 minutes ago, SkerBall said:

https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-tournament/bracketology/

What to make of this? Percentage has gone up from yesterday.

I thought that I saw someone say that this was near last in terms of accuracy on bracket matrix, but the whole thing is opinionated to begin with.  I love this one... for obvious reasons! :ph34r:

Rasmussen on at halftime of Cincy-WSU game:

How does FBI investigation affect things?

- We'll pay no attention to the investigation. That's outside of our jurisdiction. Someone else has to decide those things, player eligibility, coach eligibility etc, and only then would we let it affect the selections/seedings.

Notre Dame? Returning injured player helps?

-- Every year we deal with player availability, losing players to injury or getting a player back from injury late. ND is interesting because of how good Colson is. Will be an interesting discussion.

How long does bracketing take?

-- Don't spend a lot of time on bracketing. Work more on seeding teams 1 through 68 correctly and then making slight changes to avoid conference rematches, etc. Minimal time on bracketing, maybe an hour.

What about Nebraska?

-- They're in, no question.

(Sorry I just may have dreamed or mis-heard that last one. In my defense, I don't speak bluejay.)

Edited by throwback