How did we lose

colhusker

1st true road game and 4th overall game for a team that started less than 3 players who have played more than a few games together.  

St John’s was a lot more experienced than us at the time. They were also a lot more veteran than we were in terms of minutes played together. 

They’ve lost a few key players.  We have not.  That always helps later on.  They also have played a pretty decent conference schedule.

We were a very young and inexperienced team in terms of time together when we played them.  We have grown up a lot in the past few months and it is showing.  It’s easy to explain that and the UCF loss away if you look at it.  

Makes me want to puke, but Kansas State is probably playing themselves in with these last two games.  Wins over OU and TCU.  However, TCU did lose their guard and their going to drop to 2-5 in the Big 12.  They may play themselves out later on.

Same thing with Houston today.  Bubble will be tough this year.  We need some of these bubble teams to lose.

Edited by hskr4life

12 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Makes me want to puke, but Kansas State is probably playing themselves in with these last two games.  Wins over OU and TCU.  However, TCU did lose their guard and their going to drop to 2-5 in the Big 12.  They may play themselves out later on.

Same thing with Houston today.  Bubble will be tough this year.  We need some of these bubble teams to lose.

Providence beating Creighton and OK State beating Oklahoma isn't helping us either. Both good wins. Downfall of us playing literally no one after Monday until the tourney 

Edited by OmahaHusker

7 minutes ago, OmahaHusker said:

Providence beating Creighton and OK State beating Oklahoma isn't helping us either. Both good wins. Downfall of us playing literally no one after Monday until the tourney 

Meh... I'm not worried about OK State.  They will find enough losses in the Big 12.  Providence and Creighton were already two teams we projected in.  The good news is, with those leagues, teams can get beat up so bad that they have a bunch of good losses, but no wins.  That is what I am hoping for with teams like Baylor, OK State, TCU, and maybe even Creighton now.

I got this info from http://www.seed-madness.com

Right now we are the 3rd "team in the mix."  However, do note that we could get 22-23 wins and certainly be left out and it isn't like it hasn't happened before.  Side note that South Carolina is on the wrong end of this thing some times.  Also note that a 14-4 conference record hasn't been selected, but a 12-6 Big 10 team has never not been selected.

Best Overall Record Team Not Selected
MAJOR CONFERENCE

MID MAJOR CONFERENCE
1 Virginia Tech 23-8 2010   1 St. Mary's 26-5 2016
1 South Carolina 23-8 2016   2 Colorado State 26-6 2015
3 Oregon 22-9 2011   2 Illinois St.  26-6 2017
4 South Carolina 21-9 2009   4 Southern Miss. 25-6 2014
5 Florida 23-10 2009   4 UAB 25-6

Best Conference Record Team Not Selected
MAJOR CONFERENCE

MID MAJOR CONFERENCE
1 Washington 14-4 2012   1 Illinois St.  17-1 2017
2 Alabama 12-4 2011   2 San Diego State  16-2 2016
3 Oregon 13-5 2012   2 UAB 16-2 2016
4 Kentucky 12-6 2013   4 St. Mary's 15-3 2016
4 Alabama 12-6 2013   4 Missouri State 15-3 2011

The selection committee is following a different process this year, so it's really hard to determine what all it will take to get past that bubble status. There are other teams on or near the bubble who have many more opportunities to improve their Tier I and II records. Let's just shift our focus to the game at hand on Monday and start seeing where the chips fall. It's been a fun one so far.

18 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

The selection committee is following a different process this year, so it's really hard to determine what all it will take to get past that bubble status. There are other teams on or near the bubble who have many more opportunities to improve their Tier I and II records. Let's just shift our focus to the game at hand on Monday and start seeing where the chips fall. It's been a fun one so far.

Every team on the bubble is going to have some weaknesses in their resume, wether its SOS, RPI, Bad Losses, or like Nebraska, Quadrant 1 victories and road wins.  (Which will hopefully change).  One thing we have over most current bubbles (I'm assuming) is our lack of bad losses and Q's 2-4 is very solid.  So, like you said, going to be "hard to determine what all it will take".  

18 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

I'm not judging, but I always think its funny (not in a bad way, just funny) when people write this stuff.  I feel its the "inner coach" that comes out of people.  "JUST FOCUS ONE GAME AT A TIME!! DON'T LOOK AHEAD!!!"...... Well, yeah, I hope that's what HCTM is preaching, but thinking about the tournament is WHY I'M ON HERE RIGHT NOW!!!! :D

Edited by SkersHoops

24 minutes ago, SkersHoops said:

I'm not judging, but I always thinks its funny (not in a bad way, just funny) when people write this stuff.  I feel its the "inner coach" that comes out of people.  "JUST FOCUS ONE GAME AT A TIME!! DON'T LOOK AHEAD!!!"...... Well, yeah, I hope that's what HCTM is preaching, but thinking about the tournament is WHY I'M ON HERE RIGHT NOW!!!! :D

Haha touche. In this particular "focus on the next game" though I'm seeing either the OSU game it the Big Ten tourney as key opportunities to elevate ourselves against the field. The team certainly isn't overlooking this game, but the outcome may change the conversation one way or another.

In a weird sort of way, the team kind of has to look ahead to dancing to see that we need to focus on each and every game I think.  Let me explain a little...

Teams like Michigan and OSU have a little bigger margin for error.  That loss didn't hurt Michigan's chance at dancing, but it greatly improved ours.  A win wouldn't have helped Michigan a whole heck of a lot, but it greatly helped us.  Same kind of goes for OSU.  However, with the Huskers, each and every game from here on out is important to our overall body of work and whether we will be dancing.

I think that our guys have to find a balance of looking ahead while focusing on every single game.  Because every game is going to be important to our body of work now.  We cannot afford losses like other teams can.  Every game is important.  How do we know?  We look ahead and see that we have a razor thin margin for error.  We kind of have to look ahead in order to view how important the present is.

Now I don't know if that made sense or it was just a bunch of babble.  However, it makes sense in my head so that's all that matters!  :huh: