Makenize Helms 2019

Bugeaters1

9 hours ago, arliepro said:

That's not good for any future playing basketball.  

Know nothing about the affliction, but sounds like even with surgery it didn't fix it. Just have to take it as it comes and hopefully for her, it will work out.

Edited by redsteve

1 hour ago, redsteve said:

That's not good for any future playing basketball.  

Know nothing about the affliction, but sounds like even with surgery it didn't fix it. Just have to take it as it comes and hopefully for her, it will work out.

Is this another RB 43 brewing?

Chronic exertional compartment syndrome isn't a life-threatening condition and usually doesn't cause lasting damage if you get appropriate treatment. However, pain, weakness or numbness associated with chronic exertional compartment syndrome may prevent you from continuing to exercise or practice your sport at the same level of intensity.

reading some other articles, this just doesn't sound encouraging.?

Edited by whoopdeedoo

6 minutes ago, whoopdeedoo said:

Chronic exertional compartment syndrome isn't a life-threatening condition and usually doesn't cause lasting damage if you get appropriate treatment. However, pain, weakness or numbness associated with chronic exertional compartment syndrome may prevent you from continuing to exercise or practice your sport at the same level of intensity.

Kind of what I figured would be the at best scenario.

28 minutes ago, whoopdeedoo said:

their are some questions for the staff on this one, imo.

I agree.  Sounds like her first surgery was last August.  Then the pain came back in the second half of the season.  Maybe they feel comfortable that the second surgery will do the trick?  I just don’t know. It’s the type of thing that I think coaches might shy away from during the recruiting process.

1 hour ago, whoopdeedoo said:

reading some other articles, this just doesn't sound encouraging.?

Then why did we offer her. Is it maybe the staff didn't think it was that bad.

18 minutes ago, huskerchode said:

I agree.  Sounds like her first surgery was last August.  Then the pain came back in the second half of the season.  Maybe they feel comfortable that the second surgery will do the trick?  I just don’t know. It’s the type of thing that I think coaches might shy away from during the recruiting process.

You are a track person, do track people get this often. And could it be that she is growing and her body can't handle the punishment.

3 hours ago, Bugeaters1 said:

You are a track person, do track people get this often. And could it be that she is growing and her body can't handle the punishment.

Not sure.  My kid is a thrower - seems like most of her injuries are to the arm, shoulder, and back.  I haven’t heard of any of the runners on her team having this issue but I imagine it’s possible with distance runners especially.  My husband is in exercise physiology and he just told me that it can happen to anyone.

3 hours ago, Bugeaters1 said:

Someone asked about other offers, I know she was all set to go to Quinnipiac University. But I think that they changed coaches, so here she is in Lincoln.

FWIW, seems I remember reading that she chose Quinnipiac because she wanted to be close to her ailing grandfather, but he since has passed on.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...