uneblinstu's postgame chatter: Vol: 10; ed: 19 - @ Penn St.

uneblinstu

Just now, hskr4life said:

Maybe because he was 1-9, not playing well at all, and we erased a 16 point lead with him out.

I can see it both ways here.  We got the job done with him out tonight.  That didn’t lose us the game.  Terrible execution the last 16 seconds and overtime.

I get what you're saying, but having him as a threat on the floor maybe helps get us a better look. Those things matter despite his poor night.

1 minute ago, TimSmiles said:

i'd rather go down losing with my best players in the game. mcveigh is not one of our best players.

1 minute ago, GATA said:

I get what you're saying, but having him as a threat on the floor maybe helps get us a better look. Those things matter despite his poor night.

Like I said.  I could see playing him, and I could see not playing him.  It didn’t lose us the game.  In fact it got us back in the game.  Hopefully he takes it and learns from it.  McVeigh didn’t do anything wrong tonight.  He helped get us back in the game with some solid defense and steals.

25 minutes ago, TimSmiles said:

unless palmer is hurt, miles has some explaining to do. how does he sit the last 10 min plus overtime?

Did you watch him play? He was not good tonight. You sit him and switch to the zone and they bring us back. It’s a tough decision. Do you go back to your regular guy or stick with who brought you all the way back? I think Palmer’s poor play to

that point made the decision. 

We are not close without Glenn, but he did exactly what the announcing crew was ripping on Penn State for - hero ball. No hero’s for Nebraska tonight. 

35 minutes ago, 49r said:

No moral victory here, losing this one sucks because we are pretty clearly the better team and should probably be walking out of there winners tonight, but...

This is going to be a KenPom winner I'm pretty sure we should be in the 70's a little later tonight.

For what it's worth.

Just as I thought.  We moved up to #75 (interestingly, PSU stayed right at #45).  Probably could have been another 4 or 5 spots higher if we had won but it is what it is.  The projected record remains the same:

Projected record: 18-13 9-9

4 minutes ago, 49r said:

Just as I thought.  We moved up to #75 (interestingly, PSU stayed right at #45).  Probably could have been another 4 or 5 spots higher if we had won but it is what it is.  The projected record remains the same:

Projected record: 18-13 9-9

So what does the NCAA look at as far rpi's do they look at KenPom or something else?

18 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Maybe because he was 1-9, not playing well at all, and we erased a 16 point lead with him out.

I can see it both ways here.  We got the job done with him out tonight.  That didn’t lose us the game.  Terrible execution the last 16 seconds and overtime.

And the first half.

10 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

So what does the NCAA look at as far rpi's do they look at KenPom or something else?

Pretty sure it's still almost exclusively the RPI rankings that the committee uses, we're a little higher in the RPI than we are in KenPom, but tonight's result hasn't been factored yet.  We'll likely drop slightly in the NCAA RPI:

RANK PREVIOUS SCHOOL CONFERENCE RECORD ROAD NEUTRAL HOME NON DIV I
9 7 Purdue Big Ten 16-2 3-0 2-2 11-0 0-0
20 21 Michigan St. Big Ten 16-2 1-1 4-1 11-0 0-0
22 26 Ohio St. Big Ten 14-4 2-0 1-3 11-1 0-0
45 47 Michigan  Big Ten 14-4 2-2 2-1 9-1 1-0
50 49 Maryland  Big Ten 14-5 1-3 2-1 10-1 1-0
70 73 Nebraska  Big Ten 12-6 1-4 2-1 9-1 0-0
74 78 Minnesota  Big Ten 13-5 1-3 2-0 10-2 0-0
88 82 Northwestern Big Ten 11-7 1-4 1-1 8-2 1-0
106 108 Indiana  Big Ten 10-7 1-4 1-0 8-3 0-0
122 122 Penn St. Big Ten 12-6 2-3 1-1 9-2 0-0
132 137 Wisconsin Big Ten 9-9 1-4 0-2 8-3 0-0
148 121 Illinois  Big Ten 10-8 0-4 1-2 8-2 1-0
152 176 Iowa  Big Ten 10-9 1-4 3-2 6-3 0-0
188 179 Rutgers Big Ten 11-7 0-3 0-0 10-4 1-0

Man. So tough to lose that one. If we ever play a whole game we'd beat damn near anyone out there. I love Glynn but have to think there is no way we drew that up at the end of regulation.  He also took the bad shot too early leaving them with another shot before overtime.  Can't decide yet if I think not bringing Palmer back was a good or bad idea. Not happy with the result though, so easy to say he should have been out there.

I prefer to have Palmer in the ballgame like some others.  The past isn't always predictive of the future, especially when dealing with extremely small sample size. That being said, I don't care that much we left the same lineup in there, aside from one key time.  At the end of regulation Palmer most certainly should have been in there, when the play should have been to pressure the defense.  If the play is to let Watson just dribble and let one fly late, then we don't need Jack in for Palmer.  We should have the best driver we have on the court as another option to get an easier shot.  That part pisses me off greatly.  We are not horribly coached, but these coaches do not have that very necessary "it factor" that can get us over the top in close ones.  Gotta be able to make key decisions on the fly that are very important. 

29 minutes ago, brfrad said:

What?  You mean we shouldn't fire the coaches after every loss?

We didn't lose the game at the end.  We loss the game by playing like absolute horse manure the first 33 minutes.

We were one Watson make away from toasting the genius of Miles for dusting off McVeigh to fuel the defensive charge at the end.

The result has nothing to do with what I feel is the right lineup or play.  Maybe it does for others.  It is like poker.  If I make a shitty call and slop out with bad pot odds, that doesn't mean I made a good play, just as if Watson slopped out and threw that in wouldn'g have made it a good play either. 

5 minutes ago, royalfan said:

The result has nothing to do with what I feel is the right lineup or play.  Maybe it does for others.  It is like poker.  If I make a shitty call and slop out with bad pot odds, that doesn't mean I made a good play, just as if Watson slopped out and threw that in wouldn'g have made it a good play either. 

Exactly. Process over results