uneblinstu's postgame chatter: Vol: 10; ed: 19 - @ Penn St.

uneblinstu

DTZF_pXWAAAgB67.jpg:large

1st Half:

• That was mostly hot garbage. They played like they just had one of their buddies quit on them.
  • Glynn started off on fire.
  • Sadly, nobody else showed much energy.
  • They went up 15-12 with 11:14 left in the half and only scored 9 points after that the rest of the half.
  • We're not doing much in the paint on either end.
  • Getting lost on pick and rolls way too much. Making it really easy for Penn St.
  • Thomas Allen did do some nice things, but had some costly sloppy play, too.
  • The whole team did.
  • Free throw disparity is discouraging.
  • NU really inefficient from 3. 2nd straight game at least for that.

2nd Half:

• First segment was more of the same.
  • Second segment, something or someone light a fire under them.
  • Copeland led that charge.
  • Welp, couldn't sustain it.
  • When Jack and Tanner are on the floor together, we lack the skill to play with most big ten teams. They're find spot or roll players, but they probably shouldn't be on the floor together very much.
  • Glynn really cooled off after that hot start.
  • Man, the glimpses we get of Roby are so tantalizing.
  • This game felt a lot like the Purdue game. We had our chances to get back in the game but could never convert when those opportunities came. Penn St. really controlled most of this game.
  • Crispin said at the beginning of the 2nd half that NU looked sluggish in the first half. And that's probably the best way to describe this game from a Husker perspective.
  • Palmer's worst game as a Husker.
  • I like Trueblood's leadership on the bench.
  • The numbers look like NU did better rebounding than it felt like during the game, but that attempt right before Copeland's 3 to cut it to 5 before the under 4 where PSU got 3 chances felt like a dagger.
  • Watson had a good first half of the first half and Copeland had a good 2nd half, but that's about all NU got today. Almost nothing from anybody else.

***Watson just hit a 3 to cut it to 2*** (things basically become stream of consciousness from here on.)

• The zone was effective.
  • Looked like Evan was leading the way in the huddle after that 3 by Watson.
  • One thing NU did really well today was take care of the ball.
  • Then the possession after the free throws where PSU got 3 chances was killer. NU needed to get a rebound there.
  • Now we've got a battle. NU could have folded down 16 and they didn't. That's a good sign to me, win or lose. It's a great sign if they win.
  • Missed a couple of free throws down the stretch that feels big.
  • OOOOOOHHHHH! Gotta grab that air ball.
  • Wow that zone threw PSU out of their rhythm!
  • Evan Taylor with the HUGE steal!
  • Didn't love that shot by Watson at the end of regulation. Hoped they'd have something better drawn up for that spot.

Overtime:

• Interesting that he stuck with five that finished regulation.
  • We struggle to rebound out of the zone.
  • Really bad possession all around on the shot clock violation.
  • Our offense really turned to mush in overtime.
  • Gill with a HUGE shot to tie it up!
  • And then Carr makes a great play.
  • And then they couldn't execute the play at the end. Tough loss. Good fight.

A few postgame thoughts:

• This turned from a lethargic clunker into a character building moment for this team. Hopefully for Jordy, too.
  • NU's slow start cost them big time tonight. They did well to scratch and claw back into this thing, but, the hold they dug in the first 30 minutes or so was just too much. Credit Penn St. for that. And credit NU for battling back, but it looked like the events of the past 24 hours was weighing on them early. Then they snapped out of it and we saw more of what we expected from this team.
  • There are definitely things that Miles can use as learning experiences, but this will be a tough one to swallow for a bunch of reasons.
  • I expect Palmer will rebound. Rough game from him.
  • Again, slow start doomed what could have been a great comeback.

View full article

Edited by uneblinstu

1 minute ago, Huskerone said:

Not a very good look to end regulation, disappointing.

McVeigh looked open in the corner at the end of OT, not sure why Roby didn't get it to him, disappointing

Winning on the road isn't easy in the BIG, tough when a chance to do so gets away.

We already got a signature road win and there are plenty of opportunities coming up.  Keep the faith.

But I agree, I would have liked to see Glynn get the ball to Jack for the wide open corner 3, but instead he hands it to Roby.  Make or miss, that's the shot I wanted to see there.

For all the grit and heart the guys showed, what a piss poor ending. This was a game we had to have. I fear it may seal our fate to the NIT (hope I'm wrong!). You gotta beat the typical bottom feeders when you are a team like us. Unfortunately, our basketball program is the Bill Murray's Groundhog Day of D1 basketball. We have to get these next 2, then hope you can somehow beat OSU on the road.

Not much to say.  Should have, could have, but didn't win the game.  A couple players played well, a couple did not.  But the first 32 minutes of bad basketball was difficult to overcome.  I am disappointed, but we just have to keep focus and concentrate on Monday...oh wait, we have to deal with some other stupid sh*t first.

Edited by huskercwg

2 minutes ago, 49r said:

We gotta stop with the disrespect of PSU, guys.  That was a very good team we just took to overtime on the road.  If they get Reaves back they're a legit contender for a top four spot in the league.

PSU has talent...but they were the #120 ranked RPI team coming into the game. 

One more thing...we give up crap playing man to man anyway, so I wish Miles would show more faith in the 1-3-1. It makes offenses more lethargic and our length is disruptive. I thought we couldve played it all 2nd half. I was happy to see us run it for an extended period of time. We usually go away from it once the other team scores.

2 minutes ago, 49r said:

We gotta stop with the disrespect of PSU, guys.  That was a very good team we just took to overtime on the road.  If they get Reaves back they're a legit contender for a top four spot in the league.

Exactly. We erased a 16 pt second half deficit on the road against a team with some very good talent. A lot of good to take away despite how crappy we all feel right now.

14 minutes ago, GATA said:

Just sucks to see the opponent hit some crazy shots while we miss FTs down the stretch. That foul on the long jumper late was just mind numbingly dumb. Inexcusable really.

yeah, exactly. when it's this painstakingly close, it's those (MANY) missed FTs that haunt you. and you also think of what if they hadn't hit some crazy prayers like that. WHAT. IF. ugh. 

14 minutes ago, 49r said:

Talent top 4 easy.  Good team? That is very debatable. They would be frustrating to be a fan of for sure. 

Just now, TimSmiles said:

apparently miles likes when his starting players transfer? can't think of any other reason you bench your leading scorer.

Maybe because he was 1-9, not playing well at all, and we erased a 16 point lead with him out.

I can see it both ways here.  We got the job done with him out tonight.  That didn’t lose us the game.  Terrible execution the last 16 seconds and overtime.

Just now, hskr4life said:

Maybe because he was 1-9, not playing well at all, and we erased a 16 point lead with him out.

I can see it both ways here.  We got the job done with him out tonight.  That didn’t lose us the game.  Terrible execution the last 16 seconds and overtime.

i'd rather go down losing with my best players in the game. mcveigh is not one of our best players.