Michigan pregame Talk

Bugeaters1

starting out: Thome-Cain

Munger-Eliely

Brown-Simon

Dunston-Whitish

Flaherty-Jazz

i would be concerned about Munger getting in a rhythm. she can drain the 3 too. do you put a 6'1" Nicea on a 5'7" Flaherty? not sure that's a good match---i could see Flaherty getting around her to the basket a little too easy. with Flaherty i just think you start Jazz or even Whitish. no doubt, may be necessary to make a switch. i think Cain can hold her own. just don't get too aggressive and get caught up in the air on that first move (and possibly foul). Thome will get some points on Cain. hopefully it's limited. i think keeping Thome at or just below her average (16) would be really good. keep Flaherty from having the game she is capable of---that's the big key.

18 minutes ago, whoopdeedoo said:

starting out: Thome-Cain

Munger-Eliely

Brown-Simon

Dunston-Whitish

Flaherty-Jazz

i would be concerned about Munger getting in a rhythm. she can drain the 3 too. do you put a 6'1" Nicea on a 5'7" Flaherty? not sure that's a good match---i could see Flaherty getting around her to the basket a little too easy. with Flaherty i just think you start Jazz or even Whitish. no doubt, may be necessary to make a switch. i think Cain can hold her own. just don't get too aggressive and get caught up in the air on that first move (and possibly foul). Thome will get some points on Cain. hopefully it's limited. i think keeping Thome at or just below her average (16) would be really good. keep Flaherty from having the game she is capable of---that's the big key.

Can Whitish handle Dunston? Dunston is a bigger body.

Thome is much improved since she first came into the league,   Has confidence in her game. Not flashy, or super quick, but very good around the basket.  Saw her play this season. I see it as a freshman Cain against an experienced Thome.  Thome can get close to 20 if not defended. Cain will need help inside, so everyone (NU) must bang the boards.

Flaherty is the big scorer...put anyone on her that can defend her, or it will be a long game.  Just can't let her get open for easy shots, or we'll have trouble keeping up. Like whoop said...need to keep Munger in check as much as possible.  Defend against the 3 as a team all game long. 

We'll have to score in at least in the 70's probably. Everything else being equal....our defense may probably determine the outcome.

This could well be a barn burner if we have our game faces on at a high level. This is a big one for this young Husker team.

Edited by redsteve

i think you are correct. i couldn't think of what Dunston's makeup is like. maybe you flip whitish and jazz. as far as flaherty----probably in game adjustments as far as who can guard her. 
Jazz would be better suited on Dunston. The build are similar.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Not sure the one on one match ups are the game.  We could play zone to take away Thome and the three point line. Yeah, I know they are athletic enough to beat us on the bounce, but it's more a matter of what your willing to allow and what you're taking away.  They are too athletic and too dynamic to take everything away without causing a potential foul issue for us.

To me the biggest keys are hitting the boards to limit second chance points and get some of our own and respect the possession know SILLY turnovers. We seem to have about 6 to 10 silly turnovers per contest.

comparison of Michigan vs Nebraska seasonal stats ( Big Ten overall):

scoring offense:   Michigan 6th  76.6                                    assists:   Nebraska  4th   17.7

Nebraska 7th  71.6                                                    Michigan   9th   14.6

scoring defense:   Michigan  3rd  60.8                                  turnovers:  Michigan  7th  +0.0

Nebraska  7th  64.8                                                     Nebraska  10th -0.9

scoring margin:   Michigan  3rd   +15.8                                  steals:  Nebraska 8th   7.2

Nebraska  8th   +6.3                                                 Michigan  9th   7.0

field goal %:   Michigan  2nd  .479                                           blocked shots:   Nebraska  3rd  5.3

Nebraska  10th  .427                                                                      Michigan  11th  4.1

free throw %:  Michigan  4th  .745

Nebraska  14th  .613

3pt defense:   Michigan  4th  .306

Nebraska  5th  .307

3pt fg %:    Michigan  4th  .360

Nebraska  8th  .352

offensive rebounds:  Nebraska  6th  14.1

Michigan  7th   12.1

defensive rebounds:  Nebraska  6th  28.0

Michigan  7th  27.8

rebounding margin:  Michigan  3rd  +9.1

Nebraska  6th  +4.5

a person could list about 3 key things where huskers need to be successful in giving them a chance at a 'w'----or possibly even keeping it a tight game. the one that may be at the top of the list, and no surprise, is keeping Cain on the court. can't afford to get her into foul trouble. she has to play her game, but, play smart. 

Edited by whoopdeedoo

Thanks for the link Bugeaters.

Playing free is paying off for Husker women’s basketball

Wow!!

It’s tough to poke at three straight wins on the road that leave NU at 12-5 overall and 3-1 in the Big Ten. Nebraska has five more wins than it did all of last season, and the same number of league wins it had in 2016-17. The Huskers are inching closer to the NCAA tournament bubble.

Williams asked her team for more toughness, and it has delivered, especially in the areas that Williams said determine winning and losing: defense and rebounding. NU gives up 11.5 fewer points per game than last season and has a plus-4.5 rebounding margin. And the offense doesn’t yo-yo between random chaos and stand-around-and-watch syndrome.

“They’re not having to think so much,” Williams said. “They’re comfortable with where they’re supposed to be and where their shots are going to be coming from … and now they can just kind of play basketball and be free to make some plays.”

Edited by Red Don