The crowd must get better

PimpMario

2 minutes ago, bobcat402 said:

One thing i would like is more promotion of the husker lights outside of the arena, Its getting better, but the one time we can get like 75% to 80% of the fans to get the app on their phone will be interesting. I think the in game presentation needs work, idk if its different crews or people who handle but the staff at Memorial Stadium has a good pulse for when to play certain songs and handle certain moments that the arena is working on.  When the crowd and the production are on the same page...its am impressive environment. 

I have tried to get the lights operational on my phone and I can't.  I have a android rather than an Iphone and someone told me the Androids don't work.  The nice little lady down the row from me says that it doesn't work on her flip-phone either :D

2 minutes ago, huskercwg said:

This ties into the cheerleader lawsuit of about ten years ago.  We then grounded our cheerleading corp which also removed the need for male cheerleaders.  No lifting, no gymnastics nada.  Perhaps it is time to revisit that decision.

I think on one of Moos monthly radio shows. someone asked him to look into what could be done about bringing the guys back into the fold.

Just now, uneblinstu said:

Bring the dudes back?

Back in the day we dropped a cheerleader and lost a lawsuit over it. No more flipping cheerleaders.  So we went from gymnastics guys shouting through a megaphone/flipping cheerleaders to just shouting through a megaphone....which basically makes gymnastics guys pointless and thus we have none now.

I'm pretty sure that we already flash stuff up on the screen to say which means it's not working. We also aren't going to bring back cheerleader flipping.  I think we need one of those student groups that people think are lame but actually gets the rest of us lame old people in the crowd on the same page.

1 minute ago, huskercwg said:

I have tried to get the lights operational on my phone and I can't.  I have a android rather than an Iphone and someone told me the Androids don't work.  The nice little lady down the row from me says that it doesn't work on her flip-phone either :D

yea, ive heard complaints i hope they can get it working as it add a nice touch, and encouraged involvement. 

Just now, hhcdimes said:

Back in the day we dropped a cheerleader and lost a lawsuit over it. No more flipping cheerleaders.  So we went from gymnastics guys shouting through a megaphone/flipping cheerleaders to just shouting through a megaphone....which basically makes gymnastics guys pointless and thus we have none now.

I'm pretty sure that we already flash stuff up on the screen to say which means it's not working. We also aren't going to bring back cheerleader flipping.  I think we need one of those student groups that people think are lame but actually gets the rest of us lame old people in the crowd on the same page.

i would appreciate a student group, id also like more student involvement, like learning embarrassing factoids about the opponent and circulating that information among themselves and the arena, i appreciate their loudness but yelling curse-words and you suck is just not cutting it for me, i mean we live in a social media age pull up some embarrassing tweets, failed DM slides, old Facebook/my-space posts, tons of materiel to be had in the information age.  There is a line between vulgar/too far that will be needed to be managed but i think we can find some middle ground to be psychological in our fandom

2 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

Yeah, I know. I was on campus at the time.

The student section is largely the pacesetter for energy in the building. Maybe that's part of the discussion. We don't need cheerleaders flipping to give them megaphones.

2 hours ago, nustudent said:

IMO....I think it comes down to a few things.

I think our gameday presentation could still be a little bit better.   I think we have enough momentum killing video board items to keep the crowd a little tame at times.

I think consistency has a big part of it.   Even when we do have a decent product on the floor, our fanbase isn't exactly used to that and doesn't know what to do.  Consistent winning will have an impact on things.  Then of course, the flow of the individual game as well.   And we know how the game the other night went....it was ugly.

I think one of the biggest problems -- and I've said this before only to be told "we'd cheer if we just had something to cheer about" -- is the physical structure of the building.  

We're going to have to come up with innovative ways of overcoming the fact that fans in the various bowls are separated from each other.

In Devaney, I could start a cheer that would filter down.  No longer.  If I stood up and waived my arms up, people behind me would see and stand as well.  And the crowd in the area would join in.  No longer.  

There's a physical barrier that basically acts as a baffle that keeps cheers from spreading throughout the arena.  It's one of the reasons I think we have to do that Husker Power intro chant with gusto.  Because it's a cheer that actually spreads throughout the whole place.

One of the things I think that would REALLY help develop some unity and continuity in cheers is if we brought the dudes back.

Or at least gave some guys in the red zone some megaphones with instructions to start some "DEEE-Fense (clap clap)" cheers, etc. 

If you don't have that, I'm not sure how you get a cheer to spread throughout the arena and get the place really loud.

I went to the game Tuesday, my first this year.  The only other game I've seen at PBA was last year's Purdue game, so I'm 2 and 0!  There was something different about this one.  Maybe it was me.  I was nervous from the get-go, and the Huskers never got a lead big enough to alleviate my fears.  Some random thoughts I had during the game pertaining to this thread:

1)  Times have changed.  Everyone focuses on the big screen to see what's going on or if they are on it.  Many people are on mobile devices during the game.  Hard to stand up and clap when you're hands are occupied. 

2)  Always some production going on during dead times.  Guess the movie, catch the t shirt, dance on the big screen.  That's fine.  It is what it is.

3)  I've gotten old.  What made me stand up and yell 30 years ago doesn't work for people today.  I understand.  That's part of life.

4)  "ISCONSON"  we'll take the"W" sign, is an indictment of our university system.  ;)

To sum this all up, there's no answer to get all 15,000 people on their feet anymore.  What excites on age group, does nothing for another.  All I can say is just win Huskers, and this will never be a point of discussion.

Edited by cipsucks

25 minutes ago, cipsucks said:

I went to the game Tuesday, my first this year.  The only other game I've seen at PBA was last year's Purdue game, so I'm 2 and 0!  There was something different about this one.  Maybe it was me.  I was nervous from the get-go, and the Huskers never got a lead big enough to alleviate my fears.  Some random thoughts I had during the game pertaining to this thread:

1)  Times have changed.  Everyone focuses on the big screen to see what's going on or if they are on it.  Many people are on mobile devices during the game.  Hard to stand up and clap when you're hands are occupied. 

2)  Always some production going on during dead times.  Guess the movie, catch the t shirt, dance on the big screen.  That's fine.  It is what it is.

3)  I've gotten old.  What made me stand up and yell 30 years ago doesn't work for people today.  I understand.  That's part of life.

4)  "ISCONSON"  we'll take the"W" sign, is an indictment of our university system.  ;)

To sum this all up, there's no answer to get all 15,000 people on their feet anymore.  What excites on age group, does nothing for another.  All I can say is just win Huskers, and this will never be a point of discussion.

These are some valid points. I'll also add one point that people's viewing behaviors have changed. If I recall, Moos even harped on this. That many people of all generations these days would rather watch the game on their phone while out on the golf course rather than be at the game. Generalization of course, but it is a trend that's happening.

I thought part of the problem against Wiscy was the pace of play and the lack of runs.  There were times that the crowd was ready to explode and then sat back down due to badly executed offense, a time out or a foul. 
I mean sure, but also the crowd literally doesn't know what's expected of them.

I sit in the 19th row of the club seats and every time we forced Wisconsin to call a timeout people stand up and cheer and cheer, until the horn and then they quickly sit back down to "watch" the game.

It is almost like they don't understand that that is the perfect time to start cheering and mess with the opponents offense.

It happens every time. Maybe we need to make an instructional video.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

See my above post. The crowd will get to their feet sometimes but they don't seem to understand they can stay there and disrupt the opponent.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk