State Penn

Norm Peterson

Been seeing PSU stuff on other threads so thought I'd start a place where people can throw their random thoughts on PSU.

If we're good enough to get into the bubble discussion, we're going to have to start leapfrogging some teams and trying to get a top 4 or maybe top 5 finish in the league.  Another club hoping to be there in the end is PSU.

With that in mind, I thought I'd look to see how tough or easy is their finish to the regular season schedule.  Short answer is it's not.

You know the old expression, "Make hay while they sun shines?"  Their sun is shining right about now.  And even at that, it's partly cloudy with a chance of showers.

Here's how their last 10 games shake out:  @ Ohio State, Rutgers, @ Michigan St, Iowa, Maryland, @ Illinois, Ohio State, @ Purdue, Michigan, @ Nebraska.  Of the road games, they're probably hoping to win 2 and maybe sneak a third win against us. For home games in those last ten, they can probably only pencil in 2 Ws (Rutgers and Iowa) and hope to pick up 1 or 2, if possible, out of Maryland, Ohio State and Michigan.  I think the honest PSU fan is realistically hoping to go .500 over the last 10 games.

Of their last 5, three are on the road, and the home games are against Michigan and Ohio State.  That's a tough close.  They could lose all 5, whereas we have 4 of our last 5 at home and the one road game is against a team (Ill.) near the bottom of the league.  So ...

Their final regular season game is a road game at PBA.  And there may very well be something big on the line for both teams (and both coaches.)  A season sweep of the Nits would go a long way toward helping us realize our post-season ambitions.

PSU played at Indiana yesterday without one of PSU's best players: he stayed home, reportedly, for academic reasons--and the expectation is that he'll be out for only one game.

At the same time, Indiana played against PSU without one of their bigs, who was averaging something like 9 points and 4 rebounds per game--this player blew out his knee and will not return this season.

Indiana won 70-74.

34 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Been seeing PSU stuff on other threads so thought I'd start a place where people can throw their random thoughts on PSU.

If we're good enough to get into the bubble discussion, we're going to have to start leapfrogging some teams and trying to get a top 4 or maybe top 5 finish in the league.  Another club hoping to be there in the end is PSU.

With that in mind, I thought I'd look to see how tough or easy is their finish to the regular season schedule.  Short answer is it's not.

You know the old expression, "Make hay while they sun shines?"  Their sun is shining right about now.  And even at that, it's partly cloudy with a chance of showers.

Here's how their last 10 games shake out:  @ Ohio State, Rutgers, @ Michigan St, Iowa, Maryland, @ Illinois, Ohio State, @ Purdue, Michigan, @ Nebraska.  Of the road games, they're probably hoping to win 2 and maybe sneak a third win against us. For home games in those last ten, they can probably only pencil in 2 Ws (Rutgers and Iowa) and hope to pick up 1 or 2, if possible, out of Maryland, Ohio State and Michigan.  I think the honest PSU fan is realistically hoping to go .500 over the last 10 games.

Of their last 5, three are on the road, and the home games are against Michigan and Ohio State.  That's a tough close.  They could lose all 5, whereas we have 4 of our last 5 at home and the one road game is against a team (Ill.) near the bottom of the league.  So ...

Their final regular season game is a road game at PBA.  And there may very well be something big on the line for both teams (and both coaches.)  A season sweep of the Nits would go a long way toward helping us realize our post-season ambitions.

Glad you did this!!  I was wondering this last night as I watched their game.  With their talent, they are definitely a team that could possibly make a run like Minnesota did last year....  With that schedule I just don't see it but who knows..  Hopefully we can be that team like Minnesota from last year.

Tony Carr is the key. The person with the #1 usage rate in the conference is Ethan Happ. #2 is PG Tony Carr. Part of the reason that Rider beat them is because they either shut him down  or  he had a bad game...holding him to 3-14 shooting and 10 pts total.

A big part is letting him take mid-range shots. He's taking almost half his shots from mid-range and only hitting 36.4% of them. 

Another part is not letting him get others involved. Penn St is 9-1 when he has 4 or more assists, 1-5 when he has 3 or less.

4 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

Tony Carr is the key. The person with the #1 usage rate in the conference is Ethan Happ. #2 is PG Tony Carr. Part of the reason that Rider beat them is because they either shut him down  or  he had a bad game...holding him to 3-14 shooting and 10 pts total.

A big part is letting him take mid-range shots. He's taking almost half his shots from mid-range and only hitting 36.4% of them. 

Another part is not letting him get others involved. Penn St is 9-1 when he has 4 or more assists, 1-5 when he has 3 or less.

So essentially we need someone to shut him down 1 on 1 without anyone helping off?  I think we got a player or two that could do that.

2 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

So essentially we need someone to shut him down 1 on 1 without anyone helping off?  I think we got a player or two that could do that.

Carr is also 6'5". Putting Glynn on Shep Gardner (6'2" doesn't draw contact because he only shoots 3s) makes sense with Taylor/Gill handling Carr. We'll see what happens.

We can probably run 1-3-1 on these guys as well.

1 minute ago, hhcdimes said:

Carr is also 6'5". Putting Glynn on Shep Gardner (6'2" doesn't draw contact because he only shoots 3s) makes sense with Taylor/Gill handling Carr. We'll see what happens.

We can probably run 1-3-1 on these guys as well.

My initial thought was immediately Taylor as well.  Didn’t think about Gill, but I could see it.  Man I didn’t think we’d be having these kinds of conversations about Gill after his injury.  So happy (again) for the kid.

Hopefully we bring the D because that’ll help us win a lot more games this year.  I have been impressed with the D these past few games.

3 hours ago, NUtball said:

Does 'Boom Boom' Eades travel that far east to officiate?  If so, you have to factor in about an 8-10 point swing in favor of PSU, regardless of the rest of the game plan.

I'd rather have Eades on the road.  He gets super pissy when crowds start booing him, and starts stickin' it to the home team as a response.  If you go back through your memories of Eades screwing Nebraska, I think you'll find almost all of them to be home games.

Just now, aphilso1 said:

I'd rather have Eades on the road.  He gets super pissy when crowds start booing him, and starts stickin' it to the home team as a response.  If you go back through your memories of Eades screwing Nebraska, I think you'll find almost all of them to be home games.

True!  I never thought of it that way.  Maybe our fans should start a "Thank You Tom" chant.  Or a "We Love Tom" chant.  Man it'd be 8 fouls to 1 by the 16:00 mark.  :lol:

10 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

True!  I never thought of it that way.  Maybe our fans should start a "Thank You Tom" chant.  Or a "We Love Tom" chant.  Man it'd be 8 fouls to 1 by the 16:00 mark.  :lol:

Sorry - it'll never happen. Nebraskans are too honest. We couldn't live with ourselves talking like that.

15 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

Is Reaves going to play? That's the $64,000 question

No word yet, but it looks like the weather is going to be fairly schitty, might have an impact on fan turnout:

... WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM THIS EVENING TO 10 AM EST SATURDAY... * WHAT... MIXED PRECIPITATION EXPECTED. PLAN ON DIFFICULT TRAVEL CONDITIONS. TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF UP TO TWO INCHES AND ICE ACCUMULATIONS OF UP TO ONE TENTH OF AN INCH ARE EXPECTED. * WHERE... PORTIONS OF CENTRAL PENNSYLVANIA. * WHEN... RAIN WILL CHANGE TO A WINTRY MIX AROUND MIDNIGHT, THEN TO SNOW LATE TONIGHT. EXPECT THE SNOW TO TAPER OFF SHORTLY AFTER DAWN ON SATURDAY. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... THE PENNSYLVANIA DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION AND PENNSYLVANIA TURNPIKE COMMISSION REMIND MOTORISTS TO ADJUST SPEEDS BASED ON DRIVING CONDITIONS AS WINTER WEATHER IMPACTS PENNSYLVANIA ROADWAYS. VISIT WWW.511PA.COM FOR THE LATEST TRAVEL, ROADWAY AND TRAFFIC CONDITIONS.

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 10:00 AM, hhcdimes said:

Tony Carr is very good but I'm less concerned with him and more concerned with Lamar Stevens.  Stevens is averaging over 20 PPG and close to 5 boards over the last three Big 10 games.  Shooting 64% from the field.  I'd imagine Roby and Cope will be handling him.  Hopefully they can do so without fouling. 

What's the over/under on attendance tonight? 3K? 

Edited by huskerbaseball13

It will be interesting as to how our rotation will be affected by Jordy's absence.  Certainly we will see Isaiah, Tanner and Duby getting the time at the five.  But will there be a player added to the rotation at the four (in addition to Isaiah and Isaac)?  Will there be a possible Jack sighting?

12 minutes ago, huskercwg said:

It will be interesting as to how our rotation will be affected by Jordy's absence.  Certainly we will see Isaiah, Tanner and Duby getting the time at the five.  But will there be a player added to the rotation at the four (in addition to Isaiah and Isaac)?  Will there be a possible Jack sighting?

If McTrey can bury some triples, then let's go get it.

So, the post rotation obviously will be affected, but I wonder what the trickle down is to the 2-3 spots, if any. Miles said on his TV show he's said after just about every game that he says he should have played Thomas Allen more. Maybe he gets few minutes out of this, too. He hasn't made a 3 since conference play resumed.

Just now, uneblinstu said:

So, the post rotation obviously will be affected, but I wonder what the trickle down is to the 2-3 spots, if any. Miles said on his TV show he's said after just about every game that he says he should have played Thomas Allen more. Maybe he gets few minutes out of this, too. He hasn't made a 3 since conference play resumed.

Miles did play TA & GW together against Wisconsin, and I don't recall that being a part of NU's rotation prior to Tuesday. I could see that being a fixture going forward to get more on the offensive end....

9 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

Miles did play TA & GW together against Wisconsin, and I don't recall that being a part of NU's rotation prior to Tuesday. I could see that being a fixture going forward to get more on the offensive end....

I've noticed them on the floor together before.  It's not a common back court pairing, but I can confirm that the Wiscy game wasn't the first time.