uneblinstu's postgame chatter: Vol: 10; ed: 18 - Wisconsin

uneblinstu

9 minutes ago, Section_316 said:

One Miles decision last night really irked me.

I get that Watson has been in a major funk, not scoring-- maybe even struggling on D a bit so we went with the big guard line-up (Taylor, Gill, and Palmer)

But.... we are up SEVEN W/ 1:14 left after getting a stop and a defensive rebound. We have THREE timeouts left and we bring the ball up the court--- I was pleading with Miles to call a timeout as Taylor was getting pressured up the court. 

Call a time-out, put in your best ball handler-- and run 30 seconds off the clock or shoot FT's... but Taylor makes a jumping overhead pass to JPJ who turns it over for an easy bucket and Miles goes bananas cussing them out.

I totally get it-- those guys have played a ton of basketball, they need to be stronger with the ball but... Glynn is a 3 year starter at point guard. Get him back in the game and let him control the ball there.

I also couldn't believe that Watson wasn't in the game there. That was Palmer who tried to make the jump pass over two guys though.

Also, was Taylor trying to go to the FT line that one time so he could put some points on the board?  

What? We beat Wisconsin and no one rushed the court? What is going on here? Actually it was clever of the team to make all those who left early stand in the aisles until the very end. OK, that one is over. Now we have to play a better game at Penn State or we'll be back to a .500 team. Should be an interesting game which I'm sure Penn State thinks is winnable. Let's hope we can cause Pat's face to break the existing record on the Fran-o-meter redness scale.

24 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

What? We beat Wisconsin and no one rushed the court? What is going on here? Actually it was clever of the team to make all those who left early stand in the aisles until the very end. OK, that one is over. Now we have to play a better game at Penn State or we'll be back to a .500 team. Should be an interesting game which I'm sure Penn State thinks is winnable. Let's hope we can cause Pat's face to break the existing record on the Fran-o-meter redness scale.

Jimmy, you hit on an interesting point.  There were a number of "fans" who left early last night.  I always wonder about the reasoning.  Did they truly believe the game was over when they left?  Did they have a collective meeting to attend?  Were their collective parking meters about to expire?  Did they have medicine to take?  Were they bored? 

For those of us who do not leave early, it is hard to comprehend the reasons for leaving early...

58 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

I also couldn't believe that Watson wasn't in the game there. That was Palmer who tried to make the jump pass over two guys though.

Also, was Taylor trying to go to the FT line that one time so he could put some points on the board?  

Unfortunately was watching that game at home last night. On that play, Glynn and Evan both got fouled at the same time. Evan actually got mugged pretty bad.

22 minutes ago, jdostal said:

Unfortunately was watching that game at home last night. On that play, Glynn and Evan both got fouled at the same time. Evan actually got mugged pretty bad.

I assumed that's what happened.  There had to be a reason Evan thought he was the one who was fouled.  Tom Eades tore into Evan Taylor after he shot the FT that didn't count.  I was worried he was going to T Evan up for trying to take someone else's foul shots.  Imagine if he'd done so.  Wiscy shooting technical foul shots with the ball out of bounds down by their basket in a game already a little too close for comfort.

35 minutes ago, huskercwg said:

Jimmy, you hit on an interesting point.  There were a number of "fans" who left early last night.  I always wonder about the reasoning.  Did they truly believe the game was over when they left?  Did they have a collective meeting to attend?  Were their collective parking meters about to expire?  Did they have medicine to take?  Were they bored? 

For those of us who do not leave early, it is hard to comprehend the reasons for leaving early...

They had to make sure they got their table at Gate 25....

It has been the single more infuriating thing for me since we moved into the Vault. 

Actually I think its a thing were people don't want to be "stuck in traffic". They want to be home right now. I don't really understand it since I'm rarely stuck in traffic. I admittedly don't have too far to go and I'm usually home before the post game is over. You just have to know how to get out of the Haymarket and I'm not going to tell you my secret. 

Interesting stat of the day:  The team was a horrible 14.3% from 3-pt range; Anton Gill was a very solid 40%.  Outside of Anton Gill, the team was 0% from three.

Gill (or "Ton" as Miles calls him) is still shooting a torrid 48% from three land on the season.

Extremely happy for Anton Gill and the season he is having.  I was worried he'd not be able to come back from that injury he had last year, but he's not only recovered but he's pretty much back to the player we thought we were getting when we watched him at that first scrimmage after he transferred.  He's a kid who can get us some buckets and isn't afraid to shoot with a defender in the area.

Final 5 minutes of the first half was just awful - we had a chance to put the game away and were a mess offensively. This stretch was the only reason this game was even somewhat in doubt at any point in 2nd half.

Defense was excellent in that stretch, but offense killed us.

By my count, we had 9 possessions in final 5 minutes - went 1-5 on FGs with 3 bad shots, turned it over 5 times (granted, with 2 questionable charging fouls) and scored after an offensive rebound.

Plus two of our live ball turnovers gave Wis immediate layups. In a game where Wis was doing nothing in the half court, giving up layups off turnovers is especially magnified.

So essentially, our offense was minus-2 points in the final 5 minutes of the half. We'd have been better off with 9 shot clock violations.

Final 5 minutes first half – NU 24, WIS 14

Watson turnover

Davison off-balance 3 – GOOD

NU 24 – WIS 17

Tshimanga wild miss

Happ miss

Copeland rebound, immediate turnover

Iverson steal, layup – GOOD

NU 24 – WIS 19

Copeland miss 3

Prizel miss 3

Palmer wild miss 3

Reevers miss 3

Taylor charge in transition – questionable call

Ford miss layup, Copeland block

Roby/Watson turnover

Happ steal, dunk – GOOD

NU 24 – WIS 21

Watson miss 3, NU off rebound, Roby FG GOOD

NU 26 – WIS 21

Happ miss, WIS off reb, Pritzel FT GOOD

NU 26 – WIS 22

Watson charge, turnover – questionable call

Davison miss 3, blocked

Just a lack of focus, I think. Perhaps we thought it would be easy after we took a 10-pt lead? Actually it seems like we've done that multiple times this season - get a big lead and relax. Need to change that mindset - nothing's easy in league play. 

I guess the good news is we didn't relax defensively during that stretch and continued to play well on that end.

Always good to win, and yet have a film that's full of things to fix. I think the coaches will have the guys' attention for a really important game Friday. Win that one on the road, and it'll look very good on the NCAA resume.

Edited by throwback

Yeah, we were up 10 at 24-14 and the wheels kind of fell off for the rest of the half as Wiscy went on an 8-2 run to close to 26-22 at half.

One thing I did like though:  In past years, if we had a lead against a good team late in the game, we'd go into a shell, try to run clock, never get a good look, stop attacking the basket and wind up losing because we couldn't manage to keep scoring after getting a lead.

Last night, though we didn't extend the lead as we'd hoped, the other thing we didn't do was stop attacking.  As in we continued to attack.  They kept finding shots to take; they just missed too many of them.  And that might happen sometimes.  But I'd a whole lot rather go down in flames by continuing to attack and just missing than by going into a shell and never getting any more good looks.

I watched on TV...

1.  Crowd seemed ok.  To be expected with a game like that.

2.  I said it in the game thread, but I never thought I’d see the day where someone else tried to slow US down by mucking up a game.

3.  Speaking of, I know it was an ugly game, and I know it didn’t look real pretty.  However, that is Wisconsin’s style.  Do you think Virgina was upset about scoring less than 50?  No... Maybe,  but they got a W and that’s all that matters.

4.  I think officials were bad last night, but unlike other games, I think it was both ways.  We were in the bonus with 15 mind left in the second half.  Did we reach it in the first?  Some of those charge calls were laughable.  One thing that bugs me is the inconsistency of calls.  If you’re going to call the game one way or another than so be it.  But just do it consistently and both ways.

5.  I know some were upset with how we played, how we ended the game, and how some played.  But man we gotta be happy to get a W.  Should of won by more?  Probably.  Could have lost? Certainly.  I will take the W.

6.  Glynn and Taylor- Meh.  Issac and JPJ- nice game for most part.  Jordy- yes!  Isiah and Dube and Tanner- Meh.  Allen- Yes!  

Gill- So DAMN happy for the kid.  Man oh man am I happy for him.  He has turned heads this year.  Every time he shoots I am

more surprised when it doesn’t go in.  Many were expecting minimal contribution with some saying he’d be the odd man out.  He arguably one of our biggest weapons off the bench.  We NEED him.

7.  Huge opportunity at PSU this weekend. Must win? No.  Can we win? Certainly!  That would be a top 50 KenPom win on the road right now.  Let’s get it done.

26 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

I watched on TV...

1.  Crowd seemed ok.  To be expected with a game like that.

2.  I said it in the game thread, but I never thought I’d see the day where someone else tried to slow US down by mucking up a game.

3.  Speaking of, I know it was an ugly game, and I know it didn’t look real pretty.  However, that is Wisconsin’s style.  Do you think Virgina was upset about scoring less than 50?  No... Maybe,  but they got a W and that’s all that matters.

4.  I think officials were bad last night, but unlike other games, I think it was both ways.  We were in the bonus with 15 mind left in the second half.  Did we reach it in the first?  Some of those charge calls were laughable.  One thing that bugs me is the inconsistency of calls.  If you’re going to call the game one way or another than so be it.  But just do it consistently and both ways.

5.  I know some were upset with how we played, how we ended the game, and how some played.  But man we gotta be happy to get a W.  Should of won by more?  Probably.  Could have lost? Certainly.  I will take the W.

6.  Glynn and Taylor- Meh.  Issac and JPJ- nice game for most part.  Jordy- yes!  Isiah and Dube and Tanner- Meh.  Allen- Yes!  

Gill- So DAMN happy for the kid.  Man oh man am I happy for him.  He has turned heads this year.  Every time he shoots I am

more surprised when it doesn’t go in.  Many were expecting minimal contribution with some saying he’d be the odd man out.  He arguably one of our biggest weapons off the bench.  We NEED him.

7.  Huge opportunity at PSU this weekend. Must win? No.  Can we win? Certainly!  That would be a top 50 KenPom win on the road right now.  Let’s get it done.

Can we just get rid of the charge call in basketball????? 

I could probably count on 1 hand how many charge calls we have drawn this year.....

Edited by ConkintheCorner

2 hours ago, hskr4life said:

I watched on TV...

THIS!!!!!!!!

8 hours ago, huskercwg said:

It has been the single more infuriating thing for me since we moved into the Vault. 

Actually I think its a thing were people don't want to be "stuck in traffic". They want to be home right now. I don't really understand it since I'm rarely stuck in traffic. I admittedly don't have too far to go and I'm usually home before the post game is over. You just have to know how to get out of the Haymarket and I'm not going to tell you my secret. 

Saw an interesting comment elsewhere:   If everyone leaves early at the same time, do they really beat traffic?

(Edited to clarify quoted comments)

Edited by Red Don

One problem is the delay in getting out of the parking garages after a game ends.  I parked on the top level of the P Street garage once.  I left shortly after halftime but won’t park in a garage again for fear of not getting out until midnight—perhaps the problem is not so great, but it looks awful!

Never figured out what the deal is of watching 35-38 minutes of basketball and leave when game is in doubt. I think I have left early once and that was because there was heavy snow forecast and I have an hour 20 drive ahead of me. And even then I waited until there was a minute and a half left in the game and NU had a double digit lead.

I noticed something on the Roby play which I missed in live action. The Wisconsin player pulls him down trying to draw the charge. 

Just now, rr52 said:

Never figured out what the deal is of watching 35-38 minutes of basketball and leave when game is in doubt. I think I have left early once and that was because there was heavy snow forecast and I have an hour 20 drive ahead of me. And even then I waited until there was a minute and a half left in the game and NU had a double digit lead.

I noticed something on the Roby play which I missed in live action. The Wisconsin player pulls him down trying to draw the charge. 

I missed that as well until you just pointed it out!  My goodness.  It's one thing to flop, but its another thing to go all WWE.

1 hour ago, Red Don said:

Saw an interesting comment elsewhere. 

I saw KU fans leaving their game early last night. They must be shitty fans in Lawrence.

And there's no way "everyone" leaves early, as evidenced by the folks here who say they openly mock and yell at fans who leave the arena before the final buzzer.

Do I like that we have so many fans who leave early? Not really, no.  Have I left a game early? Of course. Would I have left last night? Nope. Though the basketball wasn't very good, the game held my interest all the way through.  Will I ever mock or yell at a fan who leaves early? No way.  It's not worth the energy.

Edited by atskooc

OK, apologies in advance, but I'm going negative.   Sobered up, gave it some time, but I'm still a bit bent.  

The game:   Positives:   Jordy finally playing decent, and Thomas Allen attacking the rim.   Very impressive.   Palmer the best and most consistent we have, and attitude of toughness exudes from the guy.    The rest--not very good.  A step back against a bad Wiscy team.  Played below our talent and ability.   Important game, coming off a loss, and our effort seemed average.   Our bench wasn't into it;  didn't have a good look.   A lot of selfish play.   Evan has been bad for 3 games in a row now.  And who knows WTF up with Glynn.   I'm amazed at the lack of talent on Wiscy--that seems to have happened very quickly.    

The Crowd:   Even without regard to the leaving early stuff that has been beat to death already on this thread, the crowd  flat out sucked.   I don't care how it looked on TV; I was there and am at almost every game, and our fans brought nothing last night.   I don't want to hear about not having much to cheer about.  Big game, plenty at stake, and the place was dead city.   I was up a lot cheering, and got more looks like I was the guy on Mars than ever before.   Sorry to interrupt a bunch of naps.    We gotta do better than that.  Especially in games where we're not playing great. 

The refs:   We got embarrassed by Big 10 officials 2 nights in a row (football reference there).    The first half I thought we clearly got the raw end of the calls.  Might as well play all road games.The second half, they were just bad both ways.   And Eades is an insufferable ego-driven prick, not to mention a horrible official.   The officiating is truly taking the fun out of the game; not sure the frustration is worth it.   Might have to go with volleyball; while there are a few judgment calls, mostly its just seeing whether the ball is in or out.  Or bowling.  Maybe rifle.  

Well, it's a win.   But we gotta play better to get where we need to go, and where our talent should allow us to go.  Despite the win, a step back last night.  Good thing was coaches and players all seemed to know it and were pretty morose after the game.