2018 Husker Baseball

Bugeaters1

2 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

I'm sure you are much more well versed in the circumstances Husker baseball is in right now, but unless we find a really strong replacement, aren't we just doomed to be a mediocnre Big Ten baseball team that has no expectation for success? Or are you thinking it's Erstad that's gotten us to that point?

I’d like to see the type of canidate we could pull if we actually did a national search. I think people would be shocked at the type of coach we could get here, given the effort. Lemonis to Indiana, Was to Purdue, Heller to Iowa - we have more to offer than any of those programs and they all made very impressive hires. 

11 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

I'm sure you are much more well versed in the circumstances Husker baseball is in right now, but unless we find a really strong replacement, aren't we just doomed to be a mediocre Big Ten baseball team that has no expectation for success? Or are you thinking it's Erstad that's gotten us to that point?

I definitely don't think our issues stem from it being a Nebraska problem.  Many were concerned with Erstad having zero recruiting connections when hired and I think that has come to rear its ugly head.  To top it off, Erstad has zero experience in managing a program.  While he was a great ballplayer and a year removed from the majors Erstad said so himself...he would need to surround himself with great recruiters and unfortunately the main guy he hired and has leaned on (Silva) has turned out to be a dud.  It looked like a great hire initially but it has not panned out and it sounds as if Silva has rubbed quite a few people the wrong way. 

I think Nebraska still has everything in place to be the premier baseball program in the Midwest.  Whether Moos cares enough remains to be seen.  I've said it before, but the guy who should have had the job is currently recognized as one of the best recruiters in the nation and moving right along with A&M.  I think he would still be VERY interested in this job if it were to come open.  Osborne hired Erstad knowing that he would likely be a lifer and would not leave the program for greener pastures.  That's nice if its working out...but, it hasn't worked out in the first seven years.  In the end, we probably have to hope Erstad has some sort of itch to get back to the majors or Erstad quickly figures out how to replenish the program with talent. 

What the hell still going to do this:

MSU loses first game against OSU  ✔️

MSU loses second game to OSU

MSU loses third game to OSU

MARYLAND loses first game to INDIANA✔️

MARYLAND loses second game to INDIANA✔️

MARYLAND loses third game to INDIANA

HUSKERS WIN

HUSKERS WIN

HUSKERS WIN

Okay going to check them off as long as it goes.

4 hours ago, Silverbacked1 said:

MSU loses first game against OSU  ✔️

MSU loses second game to OSU

MSU loses third game to OSU

MARYLAND loses first game to INDIANA✔️

MARYLAND loses second game to INDIANA✔️

HUSKERS WIN

HUSKERS WIN

HUSKERS WIN

Yikes. That's really disappointing knowing that we're only one MSU loss away from completely controlling our destiny but just couldn't get it done.

MSU loses first game against OSU  ✔️?

MSU loses second game to OSU ➖?

MSU loses third game to OSU ➖?

MARYLAND loses first game to INDIANA✔️?

MARYLAND loses second game to INDIANA✔️?

HUSKERS WIN➖?

HUSKERS WIN➖?

HUSKERS WIN

MSU loses first game against OSU  ✔️?

MSU loses second game to OSU ➖?

MSU loses third game to OSU ➖?

MARYLAND loses first game to INDIANA✔️?

MARYLAND loses second game to INDIANA✔️?

MARYLAND loses third game to INDIANA✔️?

HUSKERS WIN➖?

HUSKERS WIN➖?

HUSKERS WIN✔️?‍♂️

Okay going to check them off as long as it goes.✔️

9 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

I'm just glad that we have something to look forward to in both our football and basketball programs. I just hope the baseball team finds a way to make some changes during the offseason to create at least a little bit of excitement for the next season.

Erstad just came out and said no staff changes......Don't think that's very smart.

28 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

At the very least getting rid of Kirby would seem like the right move. Offense outside of 2 guys was awful and he doesn’t recruit. That’s an easy upgrade.

Seemingly loyal to a fault is Erstad.  We'll see how that pans out next season.  Everybody needs to start doing their jobs better, esp. the two assistants.  If not, the captain may- if not likely- go down with his ship.

1 hour ago, mwm89 said:

Seemingly loyal to a fault is Erstad.  We'll see how that pans out next season.  Everybody needs to start doing their jobs better, esp. the two assistants.  If not, the captain may- if not likely- go down with his ship.

Unfortunatly, just making it into the top 8 of the Big Ten will be seen as improvement and probably get an atta boy for Erstad. 

This was a bad season.  But I can fully get behind the staff for another year.  In my book, he has earned it.  Darin is an outstanding ambassador for UNL and he has given a major portion of his salary in an attempt to fix what was left by Anderson.  But next year his seat will be very warm...a make it or break it season.

14 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

This was a bad season.  But I can fully get behind the staff for another year.  In my book, he has earned it.  Darin is an outstanding ambassador for UNL and he has given a major portion of his salary in an attempt to fix what was left by Anderson.  But next year his seat will be very warm...a make it or break it season.

I try to not let money donated impact my thought process on the job he’s doing. Also being a good ambassador didn’t seem to help coach Riley any. I could see why he got another year, but reading Sipples article, it sounds like they aren’t going to change anything. They want to change the throwing program, but the position players are on a separate arm program and are still seeing soreness (see: Wilk). Not too sold that they have a solution for arm injuries. You’re probably right on next year being make or break - if I were a betting man I would think arm issues will continue to plague the roster and the post Will Bolt offense won’t be able to make up for it. Also interesting stat from our own Sam McKewon. Nebraska is 6th in winning % for B1G games over the last 5 years.

5 hours ago, The Polish Rifle said:

I try to not let money donated impact my thought process on the job he’s doing. Also being a good ambassador didn’t seem to help coach Riley any. I could see why he got another year, but reading Sipples article, it sounds like they aren’t going to change anything. They want to change the throwing program, but the position players are on a separate arm program and are still seeing soreness (see: Wilk). Not too sold that they have a solution for arm injuries. You’re probably right on next year being make or break - if I were a betting man I would think arm issues will continue to plague the roster and the post Will Bolt offense won’t be able to make up for it. Also interesting stat from our own Sam McKewon. Nebraska is 6th in winning % for B1G games over the last 5 years.

I think it is accurate and fair to say that that simply isn't good enough.  This administration and program needs to expect better.