2018 Husker Baseball

Bugeaters1

For those of you still holding on to hope, here's how bleak, but not impossible, it may be for Nebraska to make the Big Ten tournament:

Nebraska sweeps the series against Illinois (3-0):

• Michigan State wins no more than 1 game against Rutgers (1-2)
  • AND Maryland wins no more than 1 game against Purdue (1-2)

Nebraska wins the series against Illinois (2-1):

• Nebraska does not make the tournament

Nebraska wins one game against Illinois (1-2):

Nebraska gets swept by Illinois (0-3):

20 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

For those of you still holding on to hope, here's how bleak, but not impossible, it may be for Nebraska to make the Big Ten tournament:

Nebraska sweeps the series against Illinois (3-0):

• Michigan State wins no more than 1 game against Rutgers (1-2)
  • AND Maryland wins no more than 1 game against Purdue (1-2)

Nebraska wins the series against Illinois (2-1):

Nebraska wins one game against Illinois (1-2):

Nebraska gets swept by Illinois (0-3):

Seems like a time for a "So you're telling me there's a chance gif."  But unfortunately with the season that was had and the expectations going into the season, I am really down at the moment.  However, there's still EVERYTHING to play for next weekend.  We need to do our part and take care of business.  Then let the chips fall where they may.

Here's the games of interest in order of date/time (CDT):

Thursday:

3:05 - MSU vs. OSU (BTN)

6:00 - Nebraska @ Illinois (BTN)

6:00 - Maryland @ Indiana (BTN Plus)

Friday:

3:05 - MSU vs. OSU (BTN)

5:05 - Maryland @ Indiana (BTN Plus)

6:00 - Nebraska @ Illinois (BTN Plus)

Saturday:

12:05 - MSU vs. OSU (BTN Plus)

1:05 - Maryland @ Indiana (BTN Plus)

3:00 - Nebraska @ Illinois (BTN)

19 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Damon Benning this morning was talking about the not so great reputation that this staff has with local high school coaches. That should be on Moos radar. With the high school talent available in this state, it’s a crime if we can’t take advantage of that.

This kind of reminds me of a couple decades ago in basketball when the state of Nebraska had some decent talent, but our program couldn't keep the local kids at home. Then at some point we're pulling straws trying to recruit top-to-bottom outside of our own region. I would almost argue that local talent is even more important in baseball with the larger roster size, geography and weather these players are used to playing in, etc.

4 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

This kind of reminds me of a couple decades ago in basketball when the state of Nebraska had some decent talent, but our program couldn't keep the local kids at home. Then at some point we're pulling straws trying to recruit top-to-bottom outside of our own region. I would almost argue that local talent is even more important in baseball with the larger roster size, geography and weather these players are used to playing in, etc.

Yep thinking back to my playing days I could see how bad blood can spread throughout this states baseball community. Kids play select from a young age and parents/coaches/players across all levels get to know each other very well. If Silva/Erstad have rubbed any coaches or parents of recruits or parents of fromer husker players wrong - that message would spread like wildfire. 

I have a very strong opinion about nebraska youth baseball.  It is as good as a where in the country.  We don't necessarily have the numbers, but we have the quality.  We let a lot of that local talent escape.  We do not have the same philosophy in baseball as we have in football.  

13 hours ago, The Polish Rifle said:

DE got quite a bit of attention from the media about benching Gelo after that homer. Now DE going after a fan on twitter (who has like 50 followers) saying that's not why Gelo was benched. Also not a great look for DE to go after any scrub with an opinion on twitter.

I don't tweet much so I'm not sure if a coach responding is common practice but I don't mind DE's response.  With that said, I call BS.   Perhaps he didn't sit him for the bat flip but he was none too happy.  Which IMO is quite dumb.  Let the players have some fun and what Altavilla did was not even close to egregious.  That might explain as to why his teams always play so tight especially when the pressure is on.  But hey, atleast the baseball program is getting some national press.  Albeit, it's bad press.  But you know that they say...any press is good press.   

Edited by huskerbaseball13

Erstad told his side of the story last night on the radio.  He said that something had happened earlier in the year with Gelo so he kind of know not to do it again.  But he also said that if you were at the game the catcher started to jaw at him for the standing there and the Indy bench was starting to get on Gelo.  So Darin said that he pulled him to stop all the stuff that could happen.  He said he knows baseball and that some kid might think he has to "set things right"  and that college pictures aren't good enough to plunk a kid in the hip.

Next thing somebody gets one in the earhole and all hell breaks loose.  So Darin said he did it to "STOP THE SITUATION BEFORE IT COULD GET WORSE"

and that he had his team under control.

I think that is what I thought happened whenit happened.  I told my son that there was something way more than the bat flip/stand there.  

"Guess we can believe it or not."  And that was his direct quote. 

19 minutes ago, Silverbacked1 said:

Erstad told his side of the story last night on the radio.  He said that something had happened earlier in the year with Gelo so he kind of know not to do it again.  But he also said that if you were at the game the catcher started to jaw at him for the standing there and the Indy bench was starting to get on Gelo.  So Darin said that he pulled him to stop all the stuff that could happen.  He said he knows baseball and that some kid might think he has to "set things right"  and that college pictures aren't good enough to plunk a kid in the hip.

Next thing somebody gets one in the earhole and all hell breaks loose.  So Darin said he did it to "STOP THE SITUATION BEFORE IT COULD GET WORSE"

I think that is what I thought happened whenit happened.  I told my son that there was something way more than the bat flip/stand there.  

This is kind of what you get with Erstad. Notice Indiana coach didn’t pull his catcher for standing up and jawing - same catcher squared off with Scott earlier that game. Erstad is pretty unique in how he manages for a college coach. Jury still out on how effective that is. Pro baseball you have to “grind” come mid July when you’re 100 games in and still have 60+ til postseason. College if you have to “grind” through the season you probably are around .500 and will be sitting at home come June. You have to be up for every game when you only have 50 games to prove yourself and 25 in conf. Just not sure the grind it out, every game the same mindset translates. /rant.

22 minutes ago, Silverbacked1 said:

Do what again? Show a little energy instead of the cold lifeless team Erstad has assembled? That's fine if you want to sit the kid to save him from possibly being plunked but Erstad was jawing at him before he even got back to the dugout telling him to never do that again.  Altavilla was right back in the lineup the following day and Indiana had four chances to throw at him and did not do so.  Not only that, but he was immediately pulled.  Not just pinched hit for.   Again, if it was a Jose Bautista bat flip and Altavilla is mean mugging Indiana players around the bases.....fine, that's a teaching moment.  But, what Altavilla did should have just garnered a high five by Erstad when he was back in the dugout. 

33 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Do what again? Show a little energy instead of the cold lifeless team Erstad has assembled? That's fine if you want to sit the kid to save him from possibly being plunked but Erstad was jawing at him before he even got back to the dugout telling him to never do that again.  Altavilla was right back in the lineup the following day and Indiana had four chances to throw at him and did not do so.  Not only that, but he was immediately pulled.  Not just pinched hit for.   Again, if it was a Jose Bautista bat flip and Altavilla is mean mugging Indiana players around the bases.....fine, that's a teaching moment.  But, what Altavilla did should have just garnered a high five by Erstad when he was back in the dugout. 

Just reporting what was said.  I don't care either way.

3 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Oh no, I get that...I just am not buying what Erstad is selling.  At the end of the day it's not a huge deal but I'm surprised at how much play its got around the country. 

Yeah so was I.  Guess that happens when it is a slow non NBA playoff day.

13 hours ago, hskr4life said:

He may of seen that it wasn't the right way to handle things sometimes with the Miles situation.

He's been an AD longer than some of the people on this board have been alive. He's learning on the job in year 28?

Darrin Erstad is a legendary Nebraska baseball player who punted for a national championship team who makes less than 300k.  Miles is some dork from South Dakota who makes over 2M. The inconsistency isn't because Moos is lacking in the tact department. 

1 hour ago, hhcdimes said:

He's been an AD longer than some of the people on this board have been alive. He's learning on the job in year 28?

Darrin Erstad is a legendary Nebraska baseball player who punted for a national championship team who makes less than 300k.  Miles is some dork from South Dakota who makes over 2M. The inconsistency isn't because Moos is lacking in the tact department. 

No matter what you do in life or how good you are at something, there is always room for improvement and you still make mistakes.  Moos has been an AD for a long time, but Moos has been an AD at Nebraska for less than a year.  Different places call for differing ways to handle things.  Even if the main role is the same.  To say that his decisions can’t be questioned and/or he can’t have learned something new on how/how not to handle a situation I feel is incorrect.

7 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

No matter what you do in life or how good you are at something, there is always room for improvement and you still make mistakes.  Moos has been an AD for a long time, but Moos has been an AD at Nebraska for less than a year.  Different places call for differing ways to handle things.  Even if the main role is the same.  To say that his decisions can’t be questioned and/or he can’t have learned something new on how/how not to handle a situation I feel is incorrect.

He's handling it differently because Miles was winning and there wasn't really any speculation/question about whether or not he'd be fired.