2018 Husker Baseball

Bugeaters1

4 minutes ago, NebrasketballJake said:

Sarcasm very much intended. Hard to make it evident via typing

Understood. Nothing like putting your best hitter at leadoff so the chances of him getting an AB with runners on is less likely. This is not the “chaos” I was expecting to see when Erstad talked about the chaos this program would produce under his tutledge. 

Edited by huskerbaseball13

3 hours ago, Bugeaters1 said:

I know its a possibility Erstad returns, but I would think Silva AND Kirby would be on the chopping block if that were the case. Silva has been better for his tenure here but that article about him killing arms has to just ruin recruiting. Kirby, I'm not really sure what he brings to the table but our offense has been putrid since he got here. As far as recruiting, I don't see either of them as irreplaceable.

1 minute ago, The Polish Rifle said:

I know its a possibility Erstad returns, but I would think Silva AND Kirby would be on the chopping block if that were the case. Silva has been better for his tenure here but that article about him killing arms has to just ruin recruiting. Kirby, I'm not really sure what he brings to the table but our offense has been putrid since he got here. As far as recruiting, I don't see either of them as irreplaceable.

"Possibility"?   Unless he quits, he's back.  The AD found a way to evaluate his coach during the season.  these guys are always pretty selective about when they do that. 

1 minute ago, HB said:

"Possibility"?   Unless he quits, he's back.  The AD found a way to evaluate his coach during the season.  these guys are always pretty selective about when they do that. 

Yeah If he gets a shot in the MLB or decides to he wants to put in as much effort has his team currently does and just quits - are possible scenarios.

Bad year, some glaring injuries, certainly a lack of depth and talent.  I have no issue providing Coach Erstad a vote of confidence, since he won the Big Ten Conference last year, he earns the right...but, next year is a key year.  Gotta have the talent.  Coaching is sooo much easier when you can roll out dudes every game.

And just an opinion on batting Schreiber at the top; it can be a good move in order to shake up the offense.  It is good strategy to have someone who can get on base, lead-off the game and put some pressure on the opposition.   But, you then have to execute, and that didn't happen. 

This year has been frustrating, I certainly expected better.

Edited by Huskerpapa

2 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

Bad year, some glaring injuries, certainly a lack of depth and talent.  I have no issue providing Coach Erstad a vote of confidence, since he won the Big Ten Conference last year, he earns the right...but, next year is a key year.  Gotta have the talent.  Coaching is sooo much easier when you can roll out dudes every game.

And just an opinion on batting Schreiber at the top; it can be a good move in order to shake up the offense.  It is good strategy to have someone who can get on base, lead-off the game and put some pressure on the opposition.   But, you then have to execute, and that didn't happen. 

Trying to figure out where the talent upgrade is coming from next year. We lose SS, and possibly even Wilkening who are the only two guys that can hit in this lineup.  We will get some key pen guys back but they will be coming off Tommy John. Unless Erstad has some incoming freshman step up which has not been the norm for him I’m not sure where we will be getting our offensive production from or who will step up in the rotation. Erstad may want to start hitting the juco ranks hard if he isn’t doing so already. 

3 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

The B1G championship is a nice feather in the cap, but still for being his best team, our 2016 team wasn't even a blip on the national radar. B1G was a pretty weak conf last season. I just am not sure if Erstad can put together a team like the Indiana teams under Smith, 2015 Illinois, 2015 Iowa...At least not with his current strategy. 15/16 B1G wins is a nice season, but even with those teams we looked over matched against nationally relevant teams. There needs to be some serous soul searching this offseason, like huskerbaseball said, the talent in the pipeline looks to be on par with what we're seeing this season. Hit the JUCO ranks, find some guys that can run, revamp what your doing offensively. Also injures killed us this year, but that's been consistent with Silva every year, so we should just assume its gonna be a problem until hes gone.

1 minute ago, HB said:

Can't even make the tournament when it's in Omaha.  Sad to think of a program in this state.   Erstad looks completely disinterested in the dugout.  19-25 team blowing us out at home.  

It's amazingly horrible baseball. Across the board, all phases terrible. Booting the ball, poor pitching, bad at bats against a guy who cannot find the zone.I had to turn it off.