2018 Husker Baseball

Bugeaters1

Yeah, not looking too promising for this season so far.  Certainly glad we didn't get swept, and there's plenty of baseball ahead.  Had to come from 2 down in the top 9th to avoid that.  The hitting just needs to get better in this program or, dare I say, we may be looking for new leadership (not suggesting after this year).  Don't want to get shortsighted, realizing we won a conf. title just last year. 

On 3/5/2018 at 1:07 PM, mwm89 said:

Yeah, not looking too promising for this season so far.  Certainly glad we didn't get swept, and there's plenty of baseball ahead.  Had to come from 2 down in the top 9th to avoid that.  The hitting just needs to get better in this program or, dare I say, we may be looking for new leadership (not suggesting after this year).  Don't want to get shortsighted, realizing we won a conf. title just last year. 

I think you have the right idea, but looking at the wrong person. When Coach Bolt was here, we raked. I think Erstad is fine as the leader, we need a freaking hitting coach though. I'm really not 100% sure what Kirby does besides man the 3rd base coaching box.

20 hours ago, The Polish Rifle said:

I think you have the right idea, but looking at the wrong person. When Coach Bolt was here, we raked. I think Erstad is fine as the leader, we need a freaking hitting coach though. I'm really not 100% sure what Kirby does besides man the 3rd base coaching box.

Good insight.  Wasn't sure who was acting hitting coach currently.  I know the roles have flipped previously.  I like Erstad as a leader, by no means eager to see him go.

1 hour ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Cal Poly scores 4 runs off errors and walks with 2 outs. Man this team finally puts it together offensively then falls apart in every other aspect of the game. 

Lost 5 arms due to injury.    We're gonna be throwing guys out there who aren't ready to pitch at this level.  That doesn't excuse the defense today, but the lack of pitching is gonna make for a long year.    

On 3/8/2018 at 6:16 PM, HB said:

Lost 5 arms due to injury.    We're gonna be throwing guys out there who aren't ready to pitch at this level.  That doesn't excuse the defense today, but the lack of pitching is gonna make for a long year.    

Yep, Luis was nails today. Warren I trust. Gotta find a Saturday guy, I'm not close to being sold on Fisher. In the pen Waldron, Hohensee and Tillotson are gonna have to be workhorses. Maybe shift Waldron to Saturday and run with a pen of: Hohensee Tillotson, Fisher, Engelken.

I was at the batting practice that broke out in the middle of that Saturday afternoon game. These boys can hit, Repinski can absolutely rake. Like I said in an earlier post, I trust Luis and Warren. I think Fisher or Waldron have work to do to nail down that Saturday spot. Roll with a bullpen of Waldron/Fisher, Hohensee, Tillotson, Engleken - should be a top 4 team in the B1G.

I am still holding out for consistency.  Can they consistently perform at all disciplines:  starting pitching, long relief, short relief, defense, base running, timely hitting, power hitting, and plate discipline.  Certainly a few of the categories are more important than others.  We are going to face better teams than what we faced this past weekend, can we do it when the pressure is on?

On 3/12/2018 at 3:34 PM, huskercwg said:

I am still holding out for consistency.  Can they consistently perform at all disciplines:  starting pitching, long relief, short relief, defense, base running, timely hitting, power hitting, and plate discipline.  Certainly a few of the categories are more important than others.  We are going to face better teams than what we faced this past weekend, can we do it when the pressure is on?

Errors, walks, wild pitches, no hitting - been an ass ugly showing today. You called it, consistency might be an issue.

4 hours ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Errors, walks, wild pitches, no hitting - been an ass ugly showing today. You called it, consistency might be an issue.

I hope I'm wrong but I see lack of talent as the issue.  We're not very good.  We're putting guys out there who can't play at this level.  Weak at offense, defense, or both.   A handful of decent guys but that's it.  Supposedly a talent infusion is on its way, as the 2019 and 2020 classes are much better than previous classes.  Although if they are too good and go pro we're screwed anyway, especially with Big 10 rules.    

11 strikeouts today vs. Northern Colorado.    Had some really bad at bats; guys were just completely over-matched.    Very poor defensively, average pitching, no power, lots of strikeouts.  I think its gonna be a long year.  

To me it didn't look like a good team playing bad.  It just looked like a bad team.