BIG 10 Satndings.

Bugeaters1

I think a great goal for us will be to compete for 3rd place in regular season.  That way you wouldn't play Maryland in the semifinals.  For that to happen in my thinking is for someone to beat Michigan since they would have the tie breaker against us in seeding for the tourney.  This of coarse means we can only afford one more loss.  

something i noticed that is a little interesting re: MSU-------after the huskers play wisconsin, they head to michigan state. michigan state is now on a 5 game losing streak and plays @ home against both maryland and michigan (in that order) before they see the huskers. it is very possible the huskers could be playing a team on a 7 game losing streak. michigan has dropped a couple in a row, so, they will be looking to get back on track----they play northwestern at home before heading to michigan state. 
And Rutgers gets Maryland and Ohio state in back to back games. I would be suprised if they win any of those 2 games.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, HUD said:

I think a great goal for us will be to compete for 3rd place in regular season.  That way you wouldn't play Maryland in the semifinals.  For that to happen in my thinking is for someone to beat Michigan since they would have the tie breaker against us in seeding for the tourney.  This of coarse means we can only afford one more loss.  

i could see michigan dropping 2 more games-----they play @ minnesota, and home against maryland after that. minnesota has that potential to go off at any time and knock anyone off (except for maybe maryland)---especially at williams arena. in fact, i will set my final prediction for michigan---10-6.

Reaching the 20 win game level is very obtainable with the remaining league schedule. If we can stay on the upper parts of the B1G standings, we'll get a good slot in the B1G bracket where we could win a couple more games....maybe more ? 

The point is we may well be ending up with 22 or 23 wins before the NCAA big show. Right now we're about the equivalent of a 30 ranking at 17-7. The game with Maryland didn't seem to move us at all. One way or another. 

The Maryland game taught us a lesson or two...we have to preform, no matter the opponent. Calm down and compete. While free throws weren't a big factor in the loss, our overall shooting, and rebounding, suffered the most. Maryland's game plan defensively , per their Coach, was to disrupt our starting guards and not let them score. Pretty much happened that way. 

That game wasn't about moral victories, or one we should have won, because just we weren't able to give our best performance. That's the next step for this team...now we see what it takes to get up the next level. That's our goal. That's why I see the game as good for our experience and to see what it takes to get to the next level.

The problem is our RPI is sitting now at #57 which regardless of our conference standing could hurt come NCAA selection. Teams with higher RPI were left out of the tournament last year. Gotta keep on winning to get that ranking up to make it a sure thing, normal coach/media rankings mean nothing. ESPN Charlie Creme has us as one of the last 4 in at an #11 seed.

Edited by Brett025

All I know is if we end up third in the big ten I don't see how they cannot let us in.  If we are 3rd seed in tournament then we will need to win at least one game and would have 22 wins for the season.  But  before we put the cart before the horse we still need to beat Wisconsin, Mich. St., Indiana and Penn St.  Cannot afford a loss to any of them.

22 minutes ago, HUD said:

All I know is if we end up third in the big ten I don't see how they cannot let us in.  If we are 3rd seed in tournament then we will need to win at least one game and would have 22 wins for the season.  But  before we put the cart before the horse we still need to beat Wisconsin, Mich. St., Indiana and Penn St.  Cannot afford a loss to any of them.

Go back one season, Michigan finished in sole possession of 3rd place and was WNIT bound. They finished 28-9 with about 4 or 5 of those in the WNIT. That's why we gotta keep winning, one bad loss could make the difference.

4 minutes ago, Brett025 said:

Go back one season, Michigan finished in sole possession of 3rd place and was WNIT bound. They finished 28-9 with about 4 or 5 of those in the WNIT. That's why we gotta keep winning, one bad loss could make the difference.

Wow.  I didn't realize that.  Just doesn't seem right for them not to have made it in.  Puts a whole new perspective in my thinking.

i can't remember the discussion of the "why" they didn't get in, but, i suppose it didn't help that they got bounced out of the BTT right away by 6 seed MSU. plus, they were not playing good ball at the end of the season and lost 3 out of 4 games (4 out of 5 counting BTT). that is pretty tough to sit at 11-5 and 3rd in the conference and not get in. that was a head scratcher. 

Edited by whoopdeedoo

They didn't finish strong and lost Kysre Gondrezick one of their better players due to personal reasons. Combine all that with a bubble RPI and weak SOS they were left out. Right now the BIG has 6 schools with an RPI of 35 or better while 2 are in the 50's. I like our schedule but only a win at Maryland would really give our RPI major boost, a loss to any of the other remaining 4 would be big blow.

33 minutes ago, huskerchode said:

I haven't fully studied how RPI works but let me ask about this scenario:  Would we have been better off scheduling UConn and South Carolina early, getting blown off the court by both, rather than win a couple games to teams that are meh?

Answer is yes.  Had we scheduled differently our RPI might have been different. 

But...we lost early on , to teams that as it turns out...don't have such great records. That's obviously because we weren't the same team then. We probably could beat them now. 

Don't want to be a downer, rather realistic. At this point we can only win out as best as possible, and hope winning out to about 22+ wins, and it will be enough for the NCAA's. Not so sure it will.

To many losses. looking at other teams, unfortunately for us.... there may end up... dozens of 22 win teams. We may end up right on the edge with other NCAA tourney "in or out" border line teams. Never thought we'd be there this year, so it's a almost unbelievable turn around. 

We could always win the B1G tourney ...get an automatic bid.  :P

Like said somewhere else....Coach Williams for BIG COY !

Actually rpi is very fluid as basically tracking the teams you have played ergo if they win you win.  Also other teams you have not played are going up and down.  As near as I can tell if we win 4 of the next 5 we should between 42 and 47.  Should be inside the bubble since your last ten games carry more weight to the committee. Winning out should land us 37 to 41 and definitely in.  Basically I see us needing some work done in the Big10 tournament. To feel safe and sound.

Here is a link to Real Time RPI rankings updated several times daily. If you click anywhere it says BIG10 it shows only the conference, all of our remaining opponents are below us except Maryland. Going to have to win 4 out of the next 5 (Maryland will be tough) to move into the top 50. The predictor, which is flawed has us losing the next 3 out of 5 (all road games) which leaves us with a predicted RPI of 67.

http://realtimerpi.com/college_Women_basketball_rpi1.html

Edited by Brett025

16 minutes ago, caveman said:

Actually rpi is very fluid as basically tracking the teams you have played ergo if they win you win.  Also other teams you have not played are going up and down.  As near as I can tell if we win 4 of the next 5 we should between 42 and 47.  Should be inside the bubble since your last ten games carry more weight to the committee. Winning out should land us 37 to 41 and definitely in.  Basically I see us needing some work done in the Big10 tournament. To feel safe and sound.

That's everything if we are boarder line eligible. We must win all but one, and even get a win or two in the B1G tourney.

We may well be one of hottest teams around right now...not just in the B1G.  So we must show well for the remainder of schedule...it will be huge. 

A lot of the middle tier teams have difficult games remaining which will make it fun to see how it all plays out and how tiebreakers work for seedings. Minnesota is an interesting team with nice players and 4 straight home games, that's almost unheard of. There is a chance they could be this years Michigan and get left out of the tourny, decent RPI at #47 but a SOS of #104 will hurt them like it did Michigan last season.