uneblinstu's postgame chatter: Vol: 10; ed: 16 - @ Northwestern

uneblinstu

First Half:

• Jordy is playing pretty well on defense. But he's bringing nothing on the other end.
  • Thought the quartet of Jordy, Duby, Tanner and Roby have at least made things difficult for Pardon. I think they've paid so much attention to him, though, that they've missed some rebounds they should have had.
  • The rebounding effort has been killer. Northwestern with 14 offensive rebounds. At least two possessions they had three chances. If they clean that up, they'll win this game. NW had 12 second chance points to NU's 6. Difference in the game at the break.
  • Good to see Glynn playing well. Need another scoring option in the 2nd half, though. They've left a lot short in the mid-range game.
  • Nothing for either team is coming easy at the rim. It's a battle in the paint tonight.
  • They were efficient from 3, going 4/7. NW not shooting it great from behind the stripe, but they've had a bunch of second and third chance opportunities from there.
  • Defensive energy was good. Rebounding though sabotaged those efforts.
  • Rebounding and 2nd chance points are the difference. They're basically even everywhere else.
  • This game is very winnable. Gotta shore up the rebounding and they'll be right there.

Second Half:

• I love James Palmer in transition.
  • Rebounding in the first media segment was much improved.
  • Dat dime to Borchardt!
  • The rebounding in the second segment reverted.
  • Tanner has come a long way since the start of the year. He's been the best post player on the team over these past two weeks. Hope it carries over.
  • Big time shot from Gill to get the four point play.
  • Copeland with some big time plays down the stretch.
  • Color commentator (who was really bad, btw) was right when he said NU became the best team when they became the aggressor. That's what we've seen from this team all year. Need it from the tip, not after we get punched in the nose.
  • NU absolutely dominated the second half. Really gritty win tonight. Big time W.
  • Palmer and Copeland came to play in the 2nd. The defense was really good all day long. Just gotta get the rebounding cleaned up.

Difference between first 28 minutes and the last 12 was significant.  Should have won that game by 6 to 8 points, and instead, we ran away with it.

James, Isaac, Isaiah, Glynn, Anton and Tanner played great.  Pedestrian game from Evan...he perhaps had the worse shot of the year.  Jordy....I am losing faith.

They kicked our butt on the offensive boards, but part of that was their absolutely horrible shooting. 

Anton and James really got our engine running, but for the second game, the fundamental approach from Tanner was hard to understate.

Nice win men!

And oh yeah...11-5 and 2-1 looks pretty decent right now.

Edited by huskercwg

-Borchardt manned up Pardon pretty well, and moved well off the ball on offense.  I'm starting to come around to the idea of Tanner stealing more minutes at the 5.

-Speaking of stealing minutes at the 5, the color commentator may have mentioned once or a hundred times that Nebraska is most dangerous with Cope and Roby playing the 4/5 together.  So now it's not just the fans lamenting.

-Glynn's passing was insane.  Dude was doppin' dimes.

Northwestern made it a back alley rock fight in the first half and we weren't ready.

Our guys brought some boulders out of the locker room for the 2nd half - in more ways than one. 

Huge, huge win - nice to see us be able to win an ugly game like that. We showed a lot of attitude and toughness that will carry us well going forward.

3 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

-Borchardt manned up Pardon pretty well, and moved well off the ball on offense.  I'm starting to come around to the idea of Tanner stealing more minutes at the 5.

-Speaking of stealing minutes at the 5, the color commentator may have mentioned once or a hundred times that Nebraska is most dangerous with Cope and Roby playing the 4/5 together.  So now it's not just the fans lamenting.

-Glynn's passing was insane.  Dude was doppin' dimes.

One can look great passing when the teammate catches the ball and finishes.  Rather a novel idea!!!

It will be interesting against Purdue.  Nobody can cover Haas one-on-one.  So who and how we play defense against them will be interesting.

1 minute ago, huskercwg said:

One can look great passing when the teammate catches the ball and finishes.  Rather a novel idea!!!

It will be interesting against Purdue.  Nobody can cover Haas one-on-one.  So who and how we play defense against them will be interesting.

haas is slow and clunky though. he's not the athlete that pardon is.

2 minutes ago, TimSmiles said:

haas is slow and clunky though. he's not the athlete that pardon is.

You are very right!  That is why I am liking the combination of Roby and Copeland.  Their quickness will offset his strength and size a bit, but more importantly is the match up issue on the other side of the floor.  Who will he cover and can we get him in foul trouble?

Edited by huskercwg

Just now, huskercwg said:

Unfortunately Haas has really improved his free throw shooting over the course of his career.  So while it'd be nice to just tell Jordy/Duby/Tanner to body up and use all your fouls, even hacking him turns into points.  The man is beast.

Ugly ugly first half.

Got things going in second half.

Never thought we would win by 15 or score 70 though.

We 100% were the better team.  Even with McIntosh, I think we are better.

Guys... 11-5 and 2-1.  Already played 2 road games and will have played 4 by next week.  Schedule sets up really wel to end the year.  I like this team.

6 minutes ago, huskercwg said:

We did a great job last year doubling the post.  Hope they miss shots from 3.  Then, hope we can score on the offensive end.

3 minutes ago, NUdiehard said:

It’s all about pace and space. When Miles plays lineups that can space the floor and allows them to get out in transition things go much better.  Set them free and see what happens. 

Very much this. Started to dominate when we had five guys on the floor and no one just anchoring in the paint. Defenders had to respect the fact any of the five could hit the three, which in turned opened up our dribble drives into the paint. If Roby can stay out of foul trouble guarding the five, that line up is lethal.

14 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Ugly ugly first half.

Got things going in second half.

Never thought we would win by 15 or score 70 though.

We 100% were the better team.  Even with McIntosh, I think we are better.

Guys... 11-5 and 2-1.  Already played 2 road games and will have played 4 by next week.  Schedule sets up really wel to end the year.  I like this team.

yeah it was an ugly, gritty win. winning by 15... really didn't see that in the cards, and boy am I glad I was dead wrong. This wildcat team I felt coming in was almost exactly the same team we are perhaps a bit worse...11-5 feels great and I even feel we are owed 2 more but hey, thats how it is...and we don't have any bad losses yet.

Win on a road is HUGE, but nobody here needs me to tell them that, this is incredibly exciting and a great sign. Wanted to comment quick here in particular because I totally agree with what you said; this year's schedule was front-loaded, so if we take care of the games we ought to win, this will be a GREAT year this season. With a mediocre but solid across the board B1G, we need to try to avoid any bad losses, and pull the close ones. If that happens, I see this as a year to go dancin' but ofc this is all too early to say. Looking mature and that's incredibly exciting at this stage in the season after a few heartbreakers and lackluster showings away.

:) long reply, sorry; just a lot to pull from this one!! GBR

3 minutes ago, 49r said:

...and apparently not too impressed with Nebraska.  Geez, can't anyone say "Nebraska" without putting a word like "terrible" or "bad" in front of it?

1 minute ago, 49r said:

It's hilarious that Northwestern fans have the temerity to call ANY basketball program "horrible" or "bad".  Because for pretty much the entire history of college basketball their team defined it.  Oh well, I'll just revel in kicking their ass on their home court.

yeah, pretty much their program has mirrored ours, we're like brothers (ugly brothers)...and they have the NERVE to call us bad? im v.confused right now. I respect their fan base quite a bit so this is disappointing (but to be expected nowadays).