Times Change I Guess

Papa Gordon

4 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

Man I’ve quit reading and posting on a couple boards because the amount of real conversation is zero and the amount of trolls is too high to count. This is a troll, right?

I’m split on this thinking.  I didn’t want to say it because a few posts have been pretty decent posts.  But bashing very very minuscule things was like why?

Then I got happy and giddy.  We’re 13 games into the year... having played two of our toughest conference opponents... and we can’t find anything better to complain about than warmups.  That’s a positive in my book!  Keep it going boys! I can’t wait until we start complaing about which way someone’s leg bends.  :ph34r:

19 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

I was just gonna post that this guy is a jaysker troll.

Ha!  Yeah.  

For a first few posts, Grandpapa’s surliness is over the top: a Mr. Grumpypants Papa.  

The Grinch has come to Husker Hoops Central.  Maybe we could do a special showing of the movie, “Grumpy Old Men” or “The Trolls.”

Or . . . better yet, the Huskers could keep on winning.

3 hours ago, Papa Gordon said:

Many of you obviously haven’t been a part of a winner to see what it takes.  I don’t blame you, our program has underperformed fir what seems like forever.  You probably don’t understand why the Patriots can win year after year with less talent.  You don’t understand why Bob Knight was successful.  I’m sorry, I know you all don’t like me now, but it’s the little things that make teams like Creighton better than us, not the big things.  

Watch the final 4 and I bet you see those undisciplined teams also wearing hoods and freelancing in the layup line. 

What’s with the expressions of bitterness on this board by fans of the school in Eastern Omaha toward the Huskers?  

Perhaps it’s because Nebrasketball is making progress.  After all:

—We have 9 wins by Christmas Day.  

—One of our losses is an away game against a top 5 team.

—Two losses are to top 25 teams in away games—one of which could easily have gone the other way.

—One loss is a one-pointer at home to Kansas.  

—We have only one other loss—and it’s not a bad one.

—Players are progressing well, and the team is getting better quickly

If the Huskers can stay healthy, this will be an excellent year!

Edited by Swan88

43 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

What’s with the expressions of bitterness on this board by fans of the school in Eastern Omaha toward the Huskers?  

Perhaps it’s because Nebrasketball is making progress.  After all:

—We have 9 wins by Christmas Day.  

—One of our losses is an away game against a top 5 team.

—Two losses are to top 25 teams in away games—one of which could easily have gone the other way.

—One loss is a one-pointer at home to Kansas.  

—We have only one other loss—and it’s not a bad one.

—Players are progressing well, and the team is getting better quickly

If the Huskers can stay healthy, this will be an excellent year!

DanGumit!!!!!

4 hours ago, basketballjones said:

Man I’ve quit reading and posting on a couple boards because the amount of real conversation is zero and the amount of trolls is too high to count. This is a troll, right?

I suspect you don't have to tell 8th grade girls not to dunk in warmups.

But maybe that's the psychology of a great coach. Tell 8th grade girls who couldn't dunk anyway that they're not allowed to dunk and they'll begin to believe they can do things beyond their actual ability. Sort of reverse psychology. Stuff you'd probably know if you ever coached championship level 8th grade girls. Which I haven't. 

13 hours ago, huskercwg said:

Hahaha...there is one thing I would like back from the BOB, the popcorn :)  what the heck, I would like to have all of the concessions for that matter.  Other than that, I am glad the BOB is a thing of the past (except for Volleyball and the Olympic sports.)  If you really want old school back, we could bring back the venue that I attended my first year at UNL...the Coliseum.  Man, we could make the floor quake when we were jumping on the bleachers.

s-l300.jpg

That place was intimidating. There was barely room along the sidelines to throw in the ball and the noise had a raw sound to it. Probably the crappy acoustics or something, but while the PBA is loud, it also seems a duller sound. At the Coliseum, it was more like you could hear the individual voices. It's also possible my ears are shot from going to too many metal concerts.

IDK what to make of this thread, but it it's always great to go down memory lane. 

Edited by Chuck Taylor

20 hours ago, Papa Gordon said:

One kid had a dad gum hood on his head, couldn’t see his eyes!!  You tell me what time It’s ok to where a hood on your head in warmups?  I don’t care when I show up as a fan to see that bologna.

That is undisciplined no matter what excuses you wanna make about the times.  You don’t win at NE looking like your here to play school yard ball.

Look up "hoodie melo". You might find the inspiration for this fashion/pregame routine. It might just be a focus mechanism. 

7 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

That place was intimidating. There was barely room along the sidelines to throw in the ball and the noise had a raw sound to it. Probably the crappy acoustics or something, but while the PBA is loud, it also seems a duller sound. At the Coliseum, it was more like you could hear the individual voices. It's also possible my ears are shot from going to too many metal concerts.

IDK what to make of this thread, but it it's always great to go down memory lane. 

One of the old Big 8 coaches called it something like " playing in an old bowling alley".   I remember it always smelled like fresh popped popcorn, saran wrap and a rubber band on your cup of coke, the concession stand with no roof under the bleachers, and that they turned all the lights out except for those over the court.

Will always remember it that way even if it isn't quite right.:):):):):)

18 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

I suspect you don't have to tell 8th grade girls not to dunk in warmups.

But maybe that's the psychology of a great coach. Tell 8th grade girls who couldn't dunk anyway that they're not allowed to dunk and they'll begin to believe they can do things beyond their actual ability. Sort of reverse psychology. Stuff you'd probably know if you ever coached championship level 8th grade girls. Which I haven't. 

Yep. Trolls gonna get trolled.

Edited by AuroranHusker

:ph34r: The premise of the thread is reminiscent of some of the threads seen in January 2014.  You know, Miles second year when the Huskers' record was 1-5 after the first six games of conference play!  In explaining why the Huskers were so bad, Tats & Dreads were prominently mentioned by some as I recall;  You know, if they don't Look like Basketball Players, how could you possibly Expect them to Play like it! 

But that was just before our ten win run leading to our first NCAA Appearance in living memory.  How strange the subject of appearances never seemed to come up again!

Got to be a troll.  Not bad, but trying too hard.  He/she gets the grumpy old man vibe right, but the needy replies and almost subtle baiting are a tell.  Bonus points for the demise of jump stops for sure tho.  Does it get anymore fake old school than wanting to pound the ball inside?  Didn't Stan Van Gundy bury that old school conventional wisdom in a press conference a few years ago?  Pointing out how much more efficient corner threes, and I think, just about shots from every other spot on the court were/are than a contested shot from a big man being defended in the paint?  Regardless, rage on troll.  I like it.

2 hours ago, Silverbacked1 said:

Also "his voice" has changed.  First started and sounded like an old man, well an old man in the theater, or a cartoon. 

But then the "voice" has become younger and not as dramatic, or as stereotypical old man.

This retiree wonders how old you have to be to sound like an old man?

Perhaps 10 years older than however old you are.

Get off my couch!

5 hours ago, trickey said:

This retiree wonders how old you have to be to sound like an old man?

Perhaps 10 years older than however old you are.

Get off my couch!

by "voice" I mean the words they used, the way they wrote and the way it "sounded"

It was in a way that made people think the person was older, but as they wrote more the style changed and it became younger.

I guess it is because I had to teach writing for 18 years to 2nd graders that I use these ideas and words.  Maybe the english teachers on here can explain it better.  I think they may know what I am talking about.