uneblinstu's postgame chatter: Vol: 10; ed: 13 - UTSA

uneblinstu

?

• We knew UTSA would let if fly and boy, did they!
  • Fortunately, the Roadrunners rep for not playing any defense was also true. NU finally broke the century mark under Miles. In fact, it'd been 12 years since it last happened. That's kinda ridiculous, actually.
  • NU attempted 50 free throws. FIFTY! When was the last time that happened? We needed them, too.
  • Had a nice game from behind the arc, too.
  • The crowd was flat, which was to be expected. But man, pregame it was...woof...
  • Thought the team came out with pretty good energy to start. I was worried about that. Wasn't necessarilly the case in the 2nd half, but to start the game, it was good.
  • Gill was really good tonight. 21 points and is really coming on strong lately. Good to see for many reasons.
  • Glynn's spur to start the 2nd half was huge.
  • Jordy's unplayable right now. His confidence is shot. It's time to make the transition to Roby.
  • Roby didn't have a great game, but was pretty solid defensively.
  • Evan Taylor had a nice night, too. Had a tough assignment covering Jackson who was hitting everything from everywhere. He was 5-10 on the game, but it felt like 50-10.
  • Palmer had himself a night. He led the team with 25, but it honestly didn't feel like he was having that big of a night while the game was happening.
  • I was concerned about this game after the gut punches of the last couple. I think it was pretty big that they were able to find a way to get this win. Let's get another on Friday.

Edited by uneblinstu

UTSA did check in 2 KenPom spots ahead of Wofford who just won at number 5 North Carolina.

Speaking of KenPom, this game really moved our stats around in some wild ways with our offense now outranking our defense (94th and 105th respectively).  I am a little concerned about our defense, not because UTSA had some prayers answered tonight, but because we seem to struggle a bit with quick guards (like St. Johns and the guys tonight) and while we have length we don't have effective bulk down low.  

This was our Samford/Incarnate Word/Gardner Webb game, but this time we won. Thankfully we have multiple guys that can score, because our teams from the past 3 years lose that game tonight. I’m happy to get this win, because UTSA is a pretty good team. Here’s to getting to 10-5 before getting back to conference play.

May not seem like it, but I think this win tells us quite a bit about this team.  That was a pride win against a decent team who will make a lot of games close against decent competition.  We haven't had the talent to flip the switch in the past.  We do now.  That's a feather in Miles' cap for his recruiting.  Good win.  

40 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

Meh, ticker on BTN said it was a school record...

But the record was in 1954. They attempted 60 vs. KState on Jan. 11. That said, we made more today than we did that day.

Oddly, it didn’t seem like they were blowing the whistle too much. We were doing a good job of attacking off the dribble and drawing fouls. I thought we got to the line about the right amount, all things considered.

But, can you imagine how choppy a 60 free-throw game must have seemed in 1954? No shot clock. Probably far fewer possessions. They must’ve been going to the line just about every time they touched the ball. Did the other team have enough players to finish the game?

1 hour ago, HuskerPower #nato73 said:

UTSA did check in 2 KenPom spots ahead of Wofford who just won at number 5 North Carolina.

Speaking of KenPom, this game really moved our stats around in some wild ways with our offense now outranking our defense (94th and 105th respectively).  I am a little concerned about our defense, not because UTSA had some prayers answered tonight, but because we seem to struggle a bit with quick guards (like St. Johns and the guys tonight) and while we have length we don't have effective bulk down low.  

That was the highest offensive efficiency number by a Miles squad at Nebraska. (140.1)

9 hours ago, nuhusker7 said:

That must've been the game that Texass fouled pretty much every possession from about 10:00 minutes left in the 2nd half trying to cut into NU's lead.  I remember watching the game - it took forever.  NU kept making the free throws and the lead stayed around 10-12 points the whole time.

UTSA threw up a lot of shots that well...I would be happy with just about any team taking and they were going in.  But, our on ball defense was probably the worst thus far this season sans maybe the St Johns game.   But, we won despite it looking like we really didn't want to be there.  I know you have to play the cupcake games but it would be nice going into the Big Ten with our RPI around 50.  Unfortunately the next two games is going to drop us down some. 

I enjoyed watching last night's contest and had to admire some of the shots UTSA hit while pretty well guarded. Few teams (including UTSA) will have these shots go in on most nights. It was also nice to see the Cornhuskers not having to rely on one player (a la Shields or Petteway) to carry the team through a night like last night. This team has multiple players who can pick up the team if one stalwart has an off night. In fact, this team sort of reminds me of the Island of Misfit Toys, to make a Christmas allusion. Copeland, Palmer, and Gill were considered cast-offs by their original teams for one reason or another and play like they have something to prove.

Interesting game last night.  Really, the styles of the teams were different, but it was great to play and win against a team like that.  Boy, could they shoot the rock.  The little dude (#2) that came off the bench had a super quick release and he seemed to really be feeling it.  In the meantime, our defense, although not great, certainly wasn't that bad.  We seemed to close well on the shooters, but they scored regardless.  A win is a win, and over the past several years, we very well would have lost that match-up.

- James played a nice second half.  We looked a bit awkward at times going to the hoop, but that awkwardness likely works out very favorably.  He seems to appear when we need him the most.  Good trait to have.

- Offensively this was one of Evan's best night.  Good to see his confidence build.  I do think he was frustrated at times on defense.  If you defend well, and they still score, that can create frustration.

- Anton continues to look good.  I can't believe he was a game time decision due to a migraine.  I am very confident in our ability to score when the ball is in his hands.

- Thomas continues to grow.  I believe he is holding back a bit knowing that he is a freshman and allowing the upper classmen to take center stage.  But as evidenced versus Kansas, his game is solid and he will be there when we need him.

- Glynn did not have his best game, and frankly, it allowed others to take an increased offensive role.  It is good to know that if he is off a bit, others are there to pick us up.

- Isaac's shot was flat last night and the scoring wasn't there, but he did well in the other phases of the game.  It takes maturity to understand that if one phase of your game is down, you can still help the team by picking up the other phases of your game...defending, rebounding, moving the ball, et al.

- Good to see Jack get a few minutes.  It would have been really great if he had knocked down the second three.  But he also had a couple mistakes that were obvious.  Keep the faith and attitude going in a positive direction young man, there will be games this year that we will really need you.

- Isaiah continues to build good looking stat sheets.  He also does the little things that don't appear on the stat sheets.  I thought he played a very good game last evening.  Keep getting better and the future looks fantastic.

- Jordy showed a few signs, but still is far from what we need him to be.  But it isn't due to lack of effort.  It certainly appears that he is pressing, but that is simply my humble opinion.  We need the big guy...we really do.  The next two games will be very important for him.

- Duby did not get much of an opportunity, so it is hard to comment on his game.  Like Jack, there will be games where it will important for Duby to step up, especially down the stretch, so I am comfortable with his current role.

This is a game we should have won by ten to fifteen points.  I was surprised at the number of points we gave up and equally as surprised by the number of points we scored.  But it was a win, and that is what will count as the season matures. 

2 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

I enjoyed watching last night's contest and had to admire some of the shots UTSA hit while pretty well guarded. Few teams (including UTSA) will have these shots go in on most nights. It was also nice to see the Cornhuskers not having to rely on one player (a la Shields or Petteway) to carry the team through a night like last night. This team has multiple players who can pick up the team if one stalwart has an off night. In fact, this team sort of reminds me of the Island of Misfit Toys, to make a Christmas allusion. Copeland, Palmer, and Gill were considered cast-offs by their original teams for one reason or another and play like they have something to prove.

The last few minutes... a missed tough post shot and a terrible 3 point shot that barely got the backboard is what I expected most of their shots to be.  We guarded those threes pretty well on most instances.  Them they would be wide open and miss.  Nuts.  Our driving D left something to be forgotten though.

By the way...and I know it is simply a matter of opinion, but this is not a bad league and there are some good teams in this league.  Yet, UTSA is picked in the lower half, hmm.  By the way, I wonder how Doc will fare against UTSA?

2017 C-USA Men’s Basketball Preseason Poll
1. Middle Tennessee (8)
2. UAB (4)
3. Louisiana Tech (2)
4. Old Dominion
5. UTEP
6. WKU
7. Marshall
8. Charlotte
9. UTSA
10. Southern Miss
11. North Texas