Kayla Mershon Update

HUD

We have had recent updates on 3 of our 2018 recruits but haven't seen much on Kayla.  I am in the twin cities area for the weekend visiting family so my wife and I took in  the Minnetonka GBB game against Champlin Park yesterday afternoon.  Minnetonka won and Kayla playing at a power forward position had a good game.  According to my unofficial stats keeping she had 9 pts, 12 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 blocked shots, 1 steal and 2 turnovers.  She is a very complete player in all phases.  Runs the floor well and is an excellent passer always looking for the open team mate.  She is very tough on the boards.  Her picture below was from the program.

After the game as she was walking with her team mates across the gym I stopped and congratulated her on a good game.  I mentioned that my wife and I were from Nebraska and were  in the area and wanted to see her play.  We are happy she will be a Husker and she said she was excited about coming.  She is a very gracious young lady and was fun to talk to. 

She definitely is all of 6'3" in height.

fullsizeoutput_d6.jpeg

Correct me if I'm wrong.......If my memory is right, I'm pretty sure she's the recruit that's had a lot of AAU play too besides H.S., not just locally, but other national game settings, and I think she played in some international games. (don't recall what it may have been.) Anyway, her experience for an incoming player is exceptional.ie

I saw another video of Haiby recently, and she really looks like a nice recruit too. Very quick and skilled at the game. A nice compliment to Hannah. Probably  a point guard, or shooting guard. Gets to the basket real well.  Next year will be fun watching what maybe Coaches best recruited class so far. (although Kissenger and Cain are hard to top)

But time will tell......it would appear next years team will be awesome. 

Back to the game...see if I can get it streaming on line. 

4 minutes ago, redsteve said:

Correct me if I'm wrong.......If my memory is right, I'm pretty sure she's the recruit that's had a lot of AAU play too besides H.S., not just locally, but other national game settings, and I think she played in some international games. (don't recall what it may have been.) Anyway, her experience for an incoming player is exceptional.ie

I saw another video of Haiby recently, and she really looks like a nice recruit too. Very quick and skilled at the game. A nice compliment to Hannah. Probably  a point guard, or shooting guard. Gets to the basket real well.  Next year will be fun watching what maybe Coaches best recruited class so far. (although Kissenger and Cain are hard to top)

But time will tell......it would appear next years team will be awesome. 

Back to the game...see if I can get it streaming on line. 

Go to the Huskers website, they have a link to the game.

Yes they were 20th but a couple of top teams like U Con hadn't signed anybody at that time but were expected to before Feb. pushing some other teams down.  Irreguardless where we end up i like how we are trending.  Upward!  Graduating 3 guards and signing 2 guards and 2 forwards.

Getting and staying healthy is a big key as well.

• 3 weeks later...

yes, looks like mershon can elevate a bit---------but, i would also add it appears the player from elk river may have been a bit slow to react. her feet (toes) are still on the floor ?

Minnesota rebounding leaders:

Kayla Mershon

11 games

10th in rebounding   total: 95  (35 off---60 def)

33rd @ 8.6 rb/g

Edited by whoopdeedoo

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...