uneblinstu's postgame chatter: Vol: 10; ed: 12 - vs. Kansas

uneblinstu

8 minutes ago, Huskerone said:

I think our 1-3-1 will continue to give teams fits, we're long and lanky, it works. 

I wonder if we will ever trap at half court out of this. 

I saw Western Kentucky do this to Wisconsin the other day and it drove them nuts; this is probably more effective against slower offenses. 

I thought it looked like we were doing a better job defending the pick and roll. Our guards were doing a better job recovering to their shooters, and getting their hands up and contesting the roll pass.

I thought we also did a better job in our 1-3-1 of not forgetting about a shooter spotted up in the weakside corner.  Copeland was directing traffic on the baseline making sure to spot those shooters and communicate that to his teammates.

I think those two things probably account for some of our success this year in flipping the 3pt% numbers on defense.

27 minutes ago, Huskerone said:

Crowd was great I thought.  KU fans were a non factor.  Frost intro I thought was cool.

I agree. As noted earlier I think your experience will vary if there are a few people right by you but overall I can't really remember a point in the game where I had to look around because there was a loud group of Kansas fans shouting in unison. The whole event was top notch.

1 hour ago, ajb5856 said:

Is that the one where Azubuike was allowed to illegally screen the low man on the zone all the way down the lane? He looked like an offensive lineman on that play.

To be more specific, he looked like an offensive lineman from a team other than Nebraska (or Kansas), because he didn't miss the block.

This seems worthy of discussion or criticism... During the Kansas/UNO game, they showed highlights of the win over Nebraska and the commentators said:

"I know Nebraska's not a good team."

Followed by:

"Miles would make a great Summit League coach."

Well that seems like some irrelevant bantor in this UNO/KU game, truthful, untruthful, or not.

Does anyone else think Allen should have gotten more time?

I am not saying he should have specifically taken anyone else's minutes, I think most everyone that he could have taken minutes from played pretty well. I just think when you are scoring that well you gotta ride the hot hand. Allen has consistently proven he can score.

2 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

This seems worthy of discussion or criticism... During the Kansas/UNO game, they showed highlights of the win over Nebraska and the commentators said:

Followed by:

Well that seems like some irrelevant bantor in this UNO/KU game, truthful, untruthful, or not.

I feel like ESPN has something against us. It's not the first time they have said we are bad this year. I don't think they should be saying these things about us if they haven't seen us play all year long. (Playing Marist on ESPN 3 doesn't count)

38 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

Followed by:

I could see something like “not a good program,” but the team this year is pretty danged good.  Ya don’t just take CU and KU to the wire and beat Minny if you aren’t “good”

That's just Dan Dakich for you.  Filling up basically an hour of a blowout game with banter is surprisingly a lot harder than most people think.

He's also the same guy that has nothing but glowing things to say about Nebraska and Tim Miles when he's doing a Nebraska game.

And...in his defense, I think he's absolutely right.  Tim Miles *would* make an excellent Summit League coach....because he was one once already.

The first comment was probably the PBP guy, and to be honest, he's right so far we don't have much on our resume besides a win over Minnesota, we're still in the 80's on KenPom.  When most people think of a "good" team, they're talking about top 30-ish.  Which we aren't.  At least not yet.

...and to just take the "good" team comment just a little further, remember it was only about 3 weeks ago that we were coming off a pretty terrible performance against UCF...since then we've shot up about 30 spots in the KenPom rankings despite losing three more games!  We are still just in the mid-80's.  We the fans may be seeing signs of progress, but really there isn't much to show for it yet.  We'll keep our fingers crossed though!

11 minutes ago, 49r said:

...and to just take the "good" team comment just a little further, remember it was only about 3 weeks ago that we were coming off a pretty terrible performance against UCF...since then we've shot up about 30 spots in the KenPom rankings despite losing three more games!  We are still just in the mid-80's.  We the fans may be seeing signs of progress, but really there isn't much to show for it yet.  We'll keep our fingers crossed though!

Most fans are seeing progress.

2 hours ago, nuhusker7 said:

I am not saying he should have specifically taken anyone else's minutes, I think most everyone that he could have taken minutes from played pretty well. I just think when you are scoring that well you gotta ride the hot hand. Allen has consistently proven he can score.

I thought about this during the course of the game and into the second half where Allen spent more time on the bench. Now this is no knock on Allen's talent and what he can and can potentially bring to the team. He's got everything to be a real special player here. But we kind of struck gold in the first half with Allen. The freshman comes in and hits some huge huge shots. Scores some big time points against a big time opponent in a big time game. Really kept us in the game with some key baskets. It's not that the coaching staff doesn't think he can do that against the best of the best it's just that maybe in this game it was a little unexpected. We weren't counting on him to step in and contribute 13. But he did. And so we feel fortunate that the freshman came in, probably that early because of Watson's early 2 fouls, and came up huge.

Then the second half...

The inexperienced freshman has 2 really, really bad freshman-like turnovers. Real bad ones. I think this was Allen's chance in the 2nd half to step up again and this time he didn't answer the call. Add to it the fact that Watson has now survived some time without adding to his foul trouble, and Miles rides the more experienced guys for the duration. It's a total risk reward proposition. In a game this close, 1 turnover can make the difference.

I hate games like this because you can go back and second guess every little decision. Bottom line is we fell one shot short.

11 minutes ago, ajb5856 said:

I thought about this during the course of the game and into the second half where Allen spent more time on the bench. Now this is no knock on Allen's talent and what he can and can potentially bring to the team. He's got everything to be a real special player here. But we kind of struck gold in the first half with Allen. The freshman comes in and hits some huge huge shots. Scores some big time points against a big time opponent in a big time game. Really kept us in the game with some key baskets. It's not that the coaching staff doesn't think he can do that against the best of the best it's just that maybe in this game it was a little unexpected. We weren't counting on him to step in and contribute 13. But he did. And so we feel fortunate that the freshman came in, probably that early because of Watson's early 2 fouls, and came up huge.

Then the second half...

The inexperienced freshman has 2 really, really bad freshman-like turnovers. Real bad ones. I think this was Allen's chance in the 2nd half to step up again and this time he didn't answer the call. Add to it the fact that Watson has now survived some time without adding to his foul trouble, and Miles rides the more experienced guys for the duration. It's a total risk reward proposition. In a game this close, 1 turnover can make the difference.

I hate games like this because you can go back and second guess every little decision. Bottom line is we fell one shot short.

Plus he is not very good on the defensive end yet.

11 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

I wonder if we will ever trap at half court out of this. 

I saw Western Kentucky do this to Wisconsin the other day and it drove them nuts; this is probably more effective against slower offenses. 

Exactly Dimes. They extended it and looked to trap and it gave the Badgers fits. When you play it as your primary half court zone you have tougher and more rotations than a 2-3 and it leaves a lot of wide open 3s. Assuming why you don’t see it much in major conference basketball. 

41 minutes ago, TZAHL said:

Exactly Dimes. They extended it and looked to trap and it gave the Badgers fits. When you play it as your primary half court zone you have tougher and more rotations than a 2-3 and it leaves a lot of wide open 3s. Assuming why you don’t see it much in major conference basketball. 

I keep saying this and people are probably tired of hear it, but there isn’t one 2-3 or 1-3-1 defense or man for man while I’m at it.  There are multiple ways you can chose to rotate in any of these. 

16 hours ago, nuhusker7 said:

Yes, he should have taken Gill's minutes on the final possession