uneblinstu's postgame chatter: Vol: 10; ed: 11 - @ the CenturyLink Center

uneblinstu

I know the overturned block call happened really early, but that took two points off the board and negated the free throw attempt upcoming and CU came down and scored on the next play, so instead of a 13 (or 14)-7 game, it ended up 11-9. NU had all the momentum and now has their center in foul trouble on what was a bang-bang play at best. In a game that was a 3 point game going into the final minutes of the game, it would have been nice to have those points back. Jordy has to get it figured out at the rim. Absolutely has to. All told, he probably left 10 points on the floor, which was the difference in the game.

20 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

I know the overturned block call happened really early, but that took two points off the board and negated the free throw attempt upcoming and CU came down and scored on the next play, so instead of a 13 (or 14)-7 game, it ended up 11-9. NU had all the momentum and now has their center in foul trouble on what was a bang-bang play at best. In a game that was a 3 point game going into the final minutes of the game, it would have been nice to have those points back. Jordy has to get it figured out at the rim. Absolutely has to. All told, he probably left 10 points on the floor, which was the difference in the game.

And we had a center with 3 fouls. If the call stands, they have a center with 3 fouls so it did have longer term effects. 

In the end, I do hate complaining about officials because those things happen.  This won’t be the only game we see this year with some head scratching calls.  

We really need Jordy to develope and hit the inside stuff.  Creighton really struggled with him on the boards to my eyes.  He could have been such a factor if he was a credible threat in the low post.

Foster’s 3 was a dagger in the end.  I am still very proud of how the kids kept trading punches.  Every time I thought Creighton was about to pull away we came back with some big shots.  No moral victories but I thought I saw some mental toughness developing.

Two questions that can be asked:

Did the officiating cost us the game?  No.

Did the officials influence the game?  Yes.

Playing, viewing and officiating this fine game for all these years taught me a number of valuable lessons.  Games should be decided on the field of play.  It should not either be influenced or decided by officiating.  It does not happen very often.  Oftentimes, when it does happen it is subtle.  Sometimes it can be more overt.  Teams can usually adjust to the style and calls made by officials.  But when the officials are inconsistent or when they clearly miss calls, it can create issues for one or sometimes both teams.  To me, the calls in the Husker v Jays game caused problems for the Huskers more so than for the Jays. 

But Jacob makes one very astute observation (perhaps more than one, but one that rings true for me) we should be able to overcome the foibles created by the officiating.  Our players cannot miss opportunities to make plays.  I

2 hours ago, Jacob Padilla said:

I believe the huddle about the Tshimanga call was whether or not Hegner was inside the restricted zone. For those watching on TV, what happened was the guy made the initial call and then the officials huddled up before the game moved on. The whistle sent it to a TV timeout, so I don't know if the broadcast went to commercial before the huddle or not. But after talking for a few moments, they determined that Hegner was outside of the circle, called it a charge and Creighton got the ball after the timeout. Like dimes said, FS1 doesn't have replays available which is stupid and makes life more difficult than it should be. Anyway, I didn't get a chance to see what the play actually looked like on a replay.

The Watson thing was kind of a different case. It was simply a foul call on a rebound (and a horrific one). I don't know if I've ever seen officials huddle up to change a foul to a no-call. The restricted zone judgment was the difference between the two.

Nebraska got some bad luck with the way the officials decided to call the game. Nebraska and Creighton's defensive styles are polar opposites. The Huskers are very aggressive trying to force turnovers with their length. Creighton is much more focused on playing positional defense; they don't try to force turnovers very much. The officials called all the reach ins and Nebraska didn't really adjust. On the other end of the spectrum, while it did get some guys into foul trouble it also helped forced 10 first-half turnovers. That's the tradeoff. On the other end of the floor, Creighton's defense wasn't particularly good in the first half, especially early. Nebraska got a lot of open looks (some they hit, some they didn't); you're not often going to get free throws on open jumpers or dunks. Creighton did have to deal with its own foul trouble in the first half, primarily to its best player in Thomas. 

Creighton's defense picked it up a bit in the second half and Nebraska's offense fell back into that stagnant phase that we see too often. There were a lot of really bad shots in the second half as Creighton crept back into the game. Tshmanga's blown layups were killers because Nebraska actually did generate some easy looks and couldn't capitalize. 

Perhaps the Tshimanga reversal was bad (again, I don't know either way because I couldn't tell live), but it was in the first 10 minutes or whatever it was. And Watson's fifth was certainly atrocious, but Nebraska was still trailing when he had to sit down and he was 4-14 from the field at that point. After that, Krampelj hit FTs to make it 5, Palmer scored to make it 3, Foster put back his own blocked shot to make it 5, Roby scored to make it 3, Krampelj tipped in Harrell's miss to make it 5, Palmer scored to make it 3 and Foster hit the 3 to make it 6. Copeland missed a 3 and that was game. What would Watson have changed during that stretch?

The biggest issue with this game wasn't the officiating, it was the same issues that have plagued this team all season  -- getting nothing from Tshimanga and the stretches of stagnant offense. Nebraska has a chance to do some things in the Big Ten if they can find a way to address those issues.

Problem was they did not call some small bumps on CU that they did call on NU. Cope got bumped on the missed short one before Fosters and 1. The Jordy call was terrible, have to give him room to land, add that to the huge Flop (they should call a foul on him for horrendous acting can not believe they bought that shit) Hegner got on him was horrible to. Jordy could have got more time and Hegner less if those fouls were called correctly plus maybe we shoot some FTs.

Another thing that no one mentions is after each half started with crazy stupid numbers like 8 fouls on NU to 1 on CU the refs call a few make up calls on CU so it does not look as bad. However 2 of those actually cost up 4 points, 2 easy layups negated by bad calls. 

You are right we still could have and should have overcome the refs but they made a big impact on the game. If we just make a few bunnies by Jordy and Cope we probably still win so we have ourselves to blame.

Play them again on a neutral court with just competent refs I think we beat them more than we lose which is why this game is so frustrating.

37 minutes ago, huskercwg said:

Did the officials influence the game?  Yes.

If this can be true...

37 minutes ago, huskercwg said:

Did the officiating cost us the game?  No.

...It's possible that this can be as well. And I'm not saying the refs did end up costing NU the game, but if they impacted at least four points swinging in CU's favor and screwing up a call so bad that NU's best player has to sit for the last 2 and a half minutes of the game while it hangs in the balance, the question is fair and can't be so simply answered.

The problem with some officials is the make a call based on what they anticipate will happen instead of what actually does happen.  They need to be better trained to only call it if you actually see it.  They sometimes see a player fall down and make an automatic call that someone had to bump him and call it on the closest player without ever seeing it happen.  Very frustrating!!!

14 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

The problem with some officials is the make a call based on what they anticipate will happen instead of what actually does happen.  They need to be better trained to only call it if you actually see it.  They sometimes see a player fall down and make an automatic call that someone had to bump him and call it on the closest player without ever seeing it happen.  Very frustrating!!!

The worst is when officials make anticipation calls when they're not even in position to see the point of contact. Like, when the ref's sight line to the ball is blocked by a player's back or whatever but he blows his whistle anyway when a defender reaches in to poke a ball free or tries to tie a guy up or something like that. It is possible to get all ball when you reach in; the reach in itself isn't actually a foul. Yet it seems some officials call it every time no matter what.