uneblinstu's postgame chatter: Vol: 10; ed: 11 - @ the CenturyLink Center

uneblinstu

52 minutes ago, ajb5856 said:

Without coming across like I'm okay with moral victories, without sounding pleased with a loss (still pissed) I'd like to point out that I'm encouraged by what I witnessed today.

1. We didn't crap our pants out of the shoot in a game against Creighton

2. We acted like we belonged on a road floor against a good team 

time to keep improving

It comes across that way because it is that way.   

7 hours ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

I hate it when Refs ineptness dictates the outcome of a game. Jordy’s reversal and the last two on Glynn were absolutely bad calls. Glynns Fifth was even Egregious. We are the better team athletically, but they just play the Creighton way. I’m confident we could beat them in Omaha if we played again. With a different officiating crew. 

See the husker womens game today.

3 hours ago, Dean Smith said:

The reality is Miles is now 0-6 but he was not the reason for this one. We struggled to score in the second half. The times we got our best look at shots and actually scored was after timeouts. He did a very good job with the whiteboard today. Let's say Jordy can make layups or say there are only two egregious calls that went against us instead of the plethora we experienced. Lot ways that game could have have been different today and I'm frustrated it ended that way. I don't know if you are in the camp, I don't pay enough attention to who posts what, but the "Yea! We won and are going to the dance!/Shit! We lost. Got fire MIles now" crowd is really annoying. That is the group I think is the most childish. Instant gratification is their way of life. 

Good post Dean.

49 minutes ago, royalfan said:

Can't believe miles came out of last media timeout of half without Watson.  Lead quickly shrinks from 7 to 3 and lucky wasn't worse.  We needed to expand lead going into halftime not piss it away with asinine substitution. 

Totally agree. Hated the lineup that was put on the floor.  Thought we had a great chance to expand our lead and just had some horrible possessions in that stretch when there was hay that could have been made. 

Totally lost momentum on two missed bunnies by Jordy. After that we felt we couldn’t use him anymore in the game which led to Jack being on the floor which ended up being a disaster defensively.   And less rim protection too. Those two misses probably ended costing us 12-15 points in the grand scheme of things. Gotta be able to convert when inferior post defenders allow us to catch in scoring position and the threat of a double team never comes. 

Took a a lot of quick midrange jumpers with hand in the face that were wasted possessions. Not in the flow and no offensive rebounding since they were out of the offensive rythm. Lots of standing around

the perimeter for much of the second half. Maybe we were tired. Maybe they played better defense. 

Great to hit hit those threes early but some of it was fools gold. Out of rythm shots that went in. When they didn’t go in during the second half it wasn’t pretty offense. Both of robys makes in the second half were inside/out looks.  That was good basketball. 

Really liked how we answered the bell for much of the game. Always had an answer for their runs until the last 2 minutes. 

Perhaps people will stop fawning over the 1-3-1.  It caught a couple teams off guard last year but there is a reason that it isn’t played in college very often.  Would like to see points per possession stat on it when we’ve played it the last 20 games. 

Hey all, I know I’m super late to the postgame party but I just thought I’d offer my view.
-Thought the defensive game plan was very good, and executed perfectly until about the under 12 media timeout
-Copeland was phenomenal, aside from being 8-19 which doesn’t look good, but I loved the way he played
-Jordy looked good on offense legitimately in every way aside from putting the ball in the basket
- I think Anton is the perfect 3 and D guy and plays the roll very well
- We had an answer almost every single time the crowd got into it. Game was back and forth and very hard fought down to the wire.
-We showed toughness and tenacity. For the first time under Miles, looked like we belonged on the court.
- Overall, I’m looking at this lost positively, yes it sucks, but that was a fun basketball game. Best game in the series in quite some time. Trajectory looks good for the fellas. Let’s make next Saturday night one to remember. GBR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, WestOHusker said:

- Overall, I’m looking at this lost positively, yes it sucks, but that was a fun basketball game. Best game in the series in quite some time. Trajectory looks good for the fellas. Let’s make next Saturday night one to remember. GBR

Kansas has always been a special game. My best Husker memories are when we have beaten them.

Are there any special plans to spice up the atmosphere? Dimes?

I think we have more than a puncher's chance at home.

P.S. Next year, bluejays expire in PBA.

11 hours ago, kleitus said:

Currently we are rpi 55 which puts us solidly NIT and having a legit shot at the ncaas.

Let it play out for Christ's sake.

While that is true, we are also projected to finish right around 0.500, which would not be good enough for an NIT bid. Part of the reason our RPI is decent right now is because we haven't yet played the cupcakes like some other teams have.

i'm as bummed as anyone that this game got away from the guys. they were the better team for 2/3 of the thing, but you gotta give CU some credit, too, for getting their poop together and playing better. 

NU's getting better. When you compare the team that soiled themselves vs St Johns to the team we've seen the last two weeks, the improvement is pretty tangible. 

Let's just keep supporting this bunch and hope they can grow into the unit we think they can be. 

I'm just hoping the KU game is competitive. That team is nasty. 

16 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

In the one game per year I root against my alma mater, I do think NU will play competitively. However the Jayhawks play Arizona State today and then none until Saturday. A midweek game would have improved our chances of success since Self will have plenty of time to get his team prepared.

What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.  Miles has a full week to prepare as well.  

Hopefully no one has 3 finals on Friday to worry about.  

17 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

It's pretty childish to downvote everyone who doesn't meet what you assume their expectations to be.

I’m sorry, but a year ago when I was being bombarded with downvotes on the women’s board by people who weren’t even participating in the discussion, you told me I was being a hypocrite for complaining about it.

Gotta love the progress of this Husker team.

But reading the other team’s fan comments on this board and on RRS, you’d think the game was a blowout of an overmatched team that has terrible coaches and poor players, not a down-to-the-wire deal.

Among the worst comments I’ve seen is that the foul discrepancy was due to the “pedigree” team getting the “benefit of the doubt.” 

Whatever.

Just now, Swan88 said:

Gotta love the progress of this Husker team.

But reading the other team’s fan comments on this board and on RRS, you’d think the game was a blowout of an overmatched team that has terrible coaches and poor players, not a down-to-the-wire deal.

Among the worst comments I’ve seen is that the foul discrepancy was due to the “pedigree” team getting the “benefit of the doubt.” 

Whatever.

I don't know if it was the "pedigree" of the team or the fact it was the "home team", but Creighton definitely got the benefit of the doubt.

On a side note, this whole verticality crap is bullcrap.  You should not get a foul called if the offensive guy runs into you why you keep your hands vertical. No problem with that part.  However, even if you keep your hands vertical, you can not move your feet forward.  Creighton players were doing that on 2 of Nebraska's made baskets down the stretch.  Should have an and-1 on both of them. 

18 hours ago, HuskerBB said:

OK watched Watson's 5th foul now - obviously ridiculous.  That was is bad as the call on Roby vs. Minnesota that went viral.   Someone needs to post a clip of that foul call also.

I don't think I can pull up any old game on FS1. It's frustrating.

12 hours ago, TZAHL said:

Perhaps people will stop fawning over the 1-3-1.

Given how we weren't stopping them over the last view trips down i get trying to throw a curveball; the only problem is that we tried to run it against a team with a OWH subscription and they were prepared. At that point without Glynn we were in trouble regardless

One significant positive taken from this frustrating loss was the numerous times we responded when the Jays appeared to grasp the momentum.  We have a tough team.  I am very, very interested in how we react to KU coming to town.  We cannot be in awe of this blue blood program.  Hey, BC just beat Duke at home, why can't we pull off that same type of upset??? 

15 hours ago, Kendrick Perkins said:

It comes across that way because it is that way.   

It is possible to be disappointed and dissatisfied with the outcome of a game while at the same time be able to see some positives. That's what every coach does with the game tape. You find the things that need cleaned up and reinforce the positive things their team accomplished.

4 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

Given how we weren't stopping them over the last view trips down i get trying to throw a curveball; the only problem is that we tried to run it against a team with a OWH subscription and they were prepared. At that point without Glynn we were in trouble regardless

Also, CU has apparently struggled this year vs. 1-3-1's. I probably would have gone to it earlier in the half, but I didn't have a problem with them throwing it out there, either.