uneblinstu's postgame chatter: Vol: 10; ed: 10 - vs. Minnesota

uneblinstu

1 hour ago, jason2486 said:

That has got to be the worst blown call on a phantom illegal screen. I was at the game and didn't see the replay 'til now. Horrible call! Even Minnesota's 2 guys were wondering what was called.

Ha!  Since we won, that’s pretty funny!!!  This video should go on some “bloopers” show.

24 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

didn't coach pull him out right after that and lay into him a bit? What was that all about?

He did pull him out. And he definitely spent some time talking to him as he was approaching the bench and even after he sat down. I wonder if Miles didn't see it directly and just assumed it was bad defense.

5 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

durp

Wow.  I thought that was a bad call but did not realize how bad until after watching this video.    Miles missed it also because he pulled Roby and yelled at him after that play.  There was also a play in the second half when they called a foul on Roby when the replay showed that he made absolutely no contact with the Minnesota player.   Hope they send this on in to the Big 12 office. Someone who knows how should also post this on the Minnesota board where they are complaining about the refs.

Edited by HuskerBB

10 hours ago, 49r said:

There might be something to @hhcdimes theory that Jordy was still recovering from surgery.  He looked last night to be a little more like the Jordy we remembered from the end of last season...could be he's just shaking off rust?  Hope so.

Many of us have been hoping that this is the case through this part of the season.  So...

1) is it the injury or recovery from it?

2) Is it the lack of conditioning due to the injury?

3) Is it a simple lack of effort?

4) Is it a lack of improvement from last year?

5) Is it that he simply lacks the necessary talent?

6) Is it an off the court issue such as school work or a distraction from a significant other?

Not sure, but the performance as a whole has been underwhelming.  That said, he has shown some glimpses, so I personally am holding out hope.  But in the meantime, I get concerned when the appearance of unproductive minutes are replacing the appearance of productive minutes.

11 hours ago, huskercwg said:

Many of us have been hoping that this is the case through this part of the season.  So...

6) Is it an off the court issue such as school work or a distraction from a significant other?

Not sure, but the performance as a whole has been underwhelming.  That said, he has shown some glimpses, so I personally am holding out hope.  But in the meantime, I get concerned when the appearance of unproductive minutes are replacing the appearance of productive minutes.

Reggie Lynch is a very good center averaging 12pts, 10rb, 5blk, and 2 TO a game.

His stat line against Jordy:  9pts, 9rb, 2blk, and 5TO.  

Jordy's stats against Lynch:  4pts, 6rb, 1blk, 2 TO

So did Jordy lose the matchup battle?  Maybe, but 5TO is pretty awful.  Regardless, Lynch performed worse in every category.

When you look at our starting lineup, it seems that Jordy's job is to defend the paint and facilitate scoring for our natural scorers (Watson, Palmer, Copeland).  I personally thought he would score more points this year (and he may still), but I don't think many people are considering how much his frame and physicality affect games.  Jordy is not easy to score on, has decent lateral quickness, sets good screens, and wears down opposing bigs.  There is just no way to replace 6'11" 270lbs.  

Also, he's a true sophomore.  He was going against an All-Conference senior against Minn. and a 5-star TFrosh at MSU.  

37 minutes ago, LK1 said:

So did Jordy lose the matchup battle?  Maybe, but 5TO is pretty awful.  Regardless, Lynch performed worse in every category.

We sent double teams at Lynch.

They let Lynch handle Jordy.

13 hours ago, huskercwg said:

His passing ability has improved. Just from the outside I'd say it's probably not lack of effort and probably not off the court.  

You can't really say it's an issue of him being beaten out for playing time because we'd play him 30 minutes a game if he wasn't fouling out and/or more effective.

His offensive skills weren't great last year. It's a bit unexpected that he looks worse. "Light" knee surgery still seems like knee surgery thus the theory on his stunted growth.

At this point focusing on his body control and mental focus would help as much as anything.  Keep from reaching on fouls. Know when you need to fight for a ball or when you need to let it go. Be smart on hedges. Box out the biggest dude on the court. Do that plus make some passes and take shots in good opportunities and the rest of the team can handle the scoring load.

44 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

Oh man, Miles did pull him out after those two Minnesota guys ran into each other and chewed him out.

Yeah, it was pretty obvious at the time, at least to me. He whipped around, subbed Isaac (I think) and then rode Roby into the bench.

Good on him for apologizing to Roby.

A good tidbit from Flo:

Florent Thamba got a prime seat for Nebraska’s upset over No. 14 Minnesota on Tuesday night at Pinnacle Bank Arena.

But what stood out to the three-star recruit as much as anything was how close the Huskers were as a team both on and off the court.

“The thing that stood out to me the most was the chemistry,” Thamba said. “The guys were really bonded and a really connected unit, whether it be from the players’ standpoint or the from the coaches’ point of view. The guys were really bonded. They all knew their purpose, and just the connection with the whole team was good.”

This should serve NU well going forward. It was clear that the Huskers came to play, and will continue to do so. GBR