Bobby Jackson

Tallbaby21

OK - made me curious so I looked it up.   Yes Garner and Jackson came out the same year - after the 1994-95 season.   (As I should have expected Norm is 100% correct)   WNCC went 36-4 that year.   Dave "Soupy" Campbell was the coach.  He later was an assistant at NU under Collier.

Edited by HuskerBB

I remember this very well.  I grew up in Scottsbluff and worked at the golf course for several years where Soupy was a member.  

We did not recruit Bobby.  Had we even shown remote interest in him he would have joined Bernard here according to Soupy.

Bobby was a 2-guard for WNCC and his recruitment probably suffered for that as he was a little small for a 2 and unknown as a point guard.  We had Boone and Strickland returning as Seniors so we didn't necessarily need another scorer.  We had a highly touted point guard coming in but we were very nervous.  He failed to meet the minimum requirements for his ACT score and everyone backed off but Nebraska and we promised to bring him in as a partial qualifier.  When he passed the ACT in the Spring all the big boys came calling including Kansas and Missouri but Tyronn stayed committed to us.  Maybe if we'd taken Bobby it might have given Tyronn a reason to de-commit and look elsewhere....

Still can't believe that a team with Lue, Boone, Strickland, Garner, Mikki Moore, and Venson Hamilton couldn't make the NCAA tourney...

13 hours ago, Blindcheck said:

That was the team that walked out, if I remember correctly....I think Tom Best was part of that team as well.

NIT champs, though....that was a fun run.

What was the reason for the walk out?  The only thing I heard was verbal abuse at practice. (which pretty much every coach back then was into)  If memory serves me correct (which it often does not, just ask my wife) Lue and Garner went to practice and were not part of the walk out.  To some that showed a division on the team but I believe it was the first year at NU for both of them.

43 minutes ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

What was the reason for the walk out?  The only thing I heard was verbal abuse at practice. (which pretty much every coach back then was into)  If memory serves me correct (which it often does not, just ask my wife) Lue and Garner went to practice and were not part of the walk out.  To some that showed a division on the team but I believe it was the first year at NU for both of them.

Wasn't Garner's dad like a sheriff or something like that.  And I think Bernard called home to say that the team was walking out and his dad said something like where you going to live then?  Bernard showed up to practice and Lue was just a bit too young and good to worry about it.:mellow:

41 minutes ago, Silverbacked1 said:

Wasn't Garner's dad like a sheriff or something like that.  And I think Bernard called home to say that the team was walking out and his dad said something like where you going to live then?  Bernard showed up to practice and Lue was just a bit too young and good to worry about it.:mellow:

That does ring a bell

2 minutes ago, Red Don said:

Wasn't Garner on scholarship, and having limited means he was more concerned about losing it if he didn't show up for practice than he was about any boycott?  (I think I read this recently (within a year or two) from an interview with Garner. :ph34r:)

Plus I think he couldn't go home if he walked out because dad would have changed the locks.;)