Shooting % under Coach Miles

Here are the national rankings for shooting % - Nebraska under Miles:

2017-18: 246th (through 9 games)
2016-17: 302nd
2015-16: 123rd
2014-15: 264th
2013-14:  235th
2012-13: 285th

Now, I'm not saying shooting % is the best predictor of wins and losses, but the teams on the top of that list are generally very successful and the teams at the bottom are not. Have we not had the shooters? Is it Miles offense? Whatever it is, it has been frustrating to say the least.

24 minutes ago, dustystehl said:

If/when there is a coaching change, I'd like the next head coach to be someone who at least played at the D-I level.

Roy Williams never played in College. I have found no connection between good players and good coaches. Some players make good coaches and some do not. 

while I'm openly watching this season unfold through the "hot seat" lens, I'm not even remotely ready to talk about 'next coach' yet. I don't begrudge people that are ready to play that game, however.  The early signs I think justify the impulse to speculate. 

but to get back to the topic: those numbers are appalling. You're not going to be successful as a program shooting that poorly over time. even more interesting, is that with the significant roster changeover during those years, to see some consistency in the rating implies that there's something the way Nebraska plays basketball that is conducive to low shooting percentages. And after 6 years of this (with the one aberration of 2015/16), you'd think this would be a five-alarm fire in the staff offices. Maybe it is? 

Is there something we do structurally with player or game preparation that maybe gets us to the perpetual 230-ish range of percentages? 

Just now, tcp said:

while I'm openly watching this season unfold through the "hot seat" lens, I'm not even remotely ready to talk about 'next coach' yet. I don't begrudge people that are ready to play that game, however.  The early signs I think justify the impulse to speculate. 

but to get back to the topic: those numbers are appalling. You're not going to be successful as a program shooting that poorly over time. even more interesting, is that with the significant roster changeover during those years, to see some consistency in the rating implies that there's something the way Nebraska plays basketball that is conducive to low shooting percentages. And after 6 years of this (with the one aberration of 2015/16), you'd think this would be a five-alarm fire in the staff offices. Maybe it is? 

Is there something we do structurally with player or game preparation that maybe gets us to the perpetual 230-ish range of percentages? 

This isn't an overall shooting % but it breaks down 2s/3s and shows eFG%

image.png

Miles has had good shooting teams before.

Also our tourney run was fueled by FT attempts that augmented our poor 3pt shooting

so you think it's as simple as the players we're recruiting? 

if so, why are we still doing it knowing that we've been rolling snake eyes in the shooting category for most of the run? 

I can imagine the conundrum a coach faces. You need superior athletes to compete at the highest level in D1. But at the same time, those athletes still need a baseline level of skill in order for that athleticism to be impactful. 

And we somehow can't get the formula for it right yet. Apparently. 

54 minutes ago, Dean Smith said:

Roy Williams never played in College. I have found no connection between good players and good coaches. Some players make good coaches and some do not. 

It would be something different and fresh. I don't think that would hurt the program.

Edited by dustystehl

1 hour ago, 49r said:

This guy is probably at the top of his list.

Please, No!!

Here is his recent record at Washington St.:

2017-18:  6-1, with a loss to UC Davis by 67-81

2016-17:  13-18 overall, and 6-12 in Conference play

2015-16:  9-22 overall, and 1-17 in Conference play

2014-15:  13-18 overall, and 7-11 in Conference play.

Please.  Please.  Please, don't bring him here!

If you want to win in college athletics, you need a good coach. Good coaches cost money. Now that we're a "full" member of the Big Ten, I'm hoping the trend of paying head coaches competitive salaries ($5M per year for Frost, for example) continues. If we want Nebraska Basketball to be a winner, we need to dish out at least $3M per year.

1 hour ago, tcp said:

so you think it's as simple as the players we're recruiting? 

if so, why are we still doing it knowing that we've been rolling snake eyes in the shooting category for most of the run? 

I can imagine the conundrum a coach faces. You need superior athletes to compete at the highest level in D1. But at the same time, those athletes still need a baseline level of skill in order for that athleticism to be impactful. 

And we somehow can't get the formula for it right yet. Apparently. 

I think that's a big part of it though it's certainly not the whole story.

This John Gasaway article that just came out today touches upon shot selection and also learning to score in the paint.

To me the recruitment of Thomas Allen and Nana, two guys who are considered to be shooters first, is finally a move towards adding to our overall team shooting ability. 

45 minutes ago, dustystehl said:

Can you give me an example of an "established" coach who isn't a good coach?

I think what he's saying is not all good coaches are established yet, so they probably don't cost as much.

Tad Boyle at Colorado is a good example of this.  Up until at least recently he was being paid a shockingly low salary for the results he was getting out at CU.  IIRC, after Tom fired Doc we went after Tad before we settled on Tim.  At the time Boyle's salary was about even with Doc's.  He had just taken Colorado to the NCAA tourney (and won his first round game).  Boyle is still getting paid significantly less than Miles and he's done significantly better (albeit in the less-challenging Pac 12)

Colorado Buffaloes (Pac-12 Conference) (2011–present)
2011–12 Colorado 24–12 11–7 T–5th NCAA Third Round
2012–13 Colorado 21–12 10–8 5th NCAA Second Round
2013–14 Colorado 23–12 10–8 T–3rd NCAA Second Round
2014–15 Colorado 16–18 7–11 T–8th CBI Quarterfinals
2015–16 Colorado 22–12 10–8 5th NCAA Second Round
2016–17 Colorado 19–15 8–10 7th NIT First Round
2017–18 Colorado 5–0 0–0    
Colorado: 154–95 (.618) 64–60 (.516)