uneblinstu's postgame chatter: Vol: 10; ed: 9 - at Michigan St.

uneblinstu

45 minutes ago, TimSmiles said:

we shot 45% from 3 and only have 5 turnovers, but lost by 30. WTF

mich state might be the best team in the country, but losing by 30 is a bad sign.

7 out of 40 (17.5%) shooting from inside the 3 point arc will do it.  But credit MSU defense and dominant big men for a lot of that.

I'm not sure if this sounds realistic or too harsh or what... but NU has to work as hard as or harder than most opponents to see success. Rebounding effort has to be better, and zero to one pass shot selection has to go away! We do not see the same effort on the road as we do at home, and it doesn't seem that close.

1 hour ago, nustudent said:

Start Roby and Copeland.   Okeke first big in.   Real close to wanting to see Tanner over Jordy.   Tanner's ceiling is low...but at least he/we know his role.

Yes. I get needing/wishing to have success inside in order to open things up for everyone else. But you can't force that. Work it inside out. Emphasis on the out. There's no reason to have Jordy begin the game with 2 straight wasted possessions. We hung with them for quite a time to start the game. I mean, it was just 10-5 after the longest time. Seemed like an opportunity to come out swinging and try to hit some shots and get a lead. Watson hit the early 3 and then it was nothing. 

I feel we don’t have an identity. 

Offensively i I guess if you consider standing around the perimeter and trying to feed inferior low post offensive players the ball or set the occasional on ball screen in order to get nothing out of it because teams don’t feel the need to hedge hard because of guys unable/not willing to shoot the 3 when this happens then that is our identity. Lots of isolation ball with mid level talent and no offensive rebounding. Some motion principles installed would be nice. Very little off ball screening and no back cuts. Not dogging on any of the players because they give above average effort but we don’t have the talent to isolate guys against the big dog teams. 

Defensively is where I’m disappointed with identity.  Do we take away the drive?  No. Do we guard the 3?  No. Do we take away post entry?  No. When the perimeter guys do pressure the ball we give up easy entry passes. Our rotations are average but it’s hard to rotate when teams can constantly penetrate to the ft line area. Leslie smith was a good defensive post player because he hedged well, recovered well, and didn’t stand behind block post ups. Go watch the film.  I’d take 4 of him. I don’t know what the defensive philosophy is but I don’t see one.  Take away something. Otherwise there is no need for scouting or game plan because we are just going out there and playing 1 on 1 x 5.

May as well do 2 hour shoot arounds so we can hit contested 3s and hope we have more athletes than the other team to stop them on D. 

Frustrated by watching and it’s not because of the talent we have or effort given by the players.  Props to the staff on the effort given by the kids. However, they need to be put in good positions to be successful. 

5 minutes ago, TZAHL said:

I feel we don’t have an identity. 

Offensively i I guess if you consider standing around the perimeter and trying to feed inferior low post offensive players the ball or set the occasional on ball screen in order to get nothing out of it because teams don’t feel the need to hedge hard because of guys unable/not willing to shoot the 3 when this happens then that is our identity. Lots of isolation ball with mid level talent and no offensive rebounding. Some motion principles installed would be nice. Very little off ball screening and no back cuts. Not dogging on any of the players because they give above average effort but we don’t have the talent to isolate guys against the big dog teams. 

Defensively is where I’m disappointed with identity.  Do we take away the drive?  No. Do we guard the 3?  No. Do we take away post entry?  No. When the perimeter guys do pressure the ball we give up easy entry passes. Our rotations are average but it’s hard to rotate when teams can constantly penetrate to the ft line area. Leslie smith was a good defensive post player because he hedged well, recovered well, and didn’t stand behind block post ups. Go watch the film.  I’d take 4 of him. I don’t know what the defensive philosophy is but I don’t see one.  Take away something. Otherwise there is no need for scouting or game plan because we are just going out there and playing 1 on 1 x 5.

May as well do 2 hour shoot arounds so we can hit contested 3s and hope we have more athletes than the other team to stop them on D. 

Frustrated by watching and it’s not because of the talent we have or effort given by the players.  Props to the staff on the effort given by the kids. However, they need to be put in good positions to be successful. 

I stopped reading when I got to the part about teams not hedging hard on our ball screens. That’s exactly what  we’ve seen all year. 

Edited by Dean Smith

4 hours ago, nustudent said:

Start Roby and Copeland.   Okeke first big in.   Real close to wanting to see Tanner over Jordy.   Tanner's ceiling is low...but at least he/we know his role.

With Jordy on the floor today, Nebraska got outscored 18-25.  With Duby, it was 8-20.  With Copeland/Roby at center, it was 13-17.  With Tanner, it was 18-24 (with a 6-0 MSU stretch in the last minute at garbage time.)

But I don't think Roby/Copeland at the two interior positions would ever work for extended minutes against Michigan State or Purdue just because there wouldn't be enough interior defense.  It wouldn't work against Minnesota because they'd get killed on the boards.  Maryland, Penn State, Iowa, Ohio State, Wisconsin, and Indiana all have at least one physical presence down low that is averaging double figures that would cause that lineup a lot of problems.  Against Michigan and Illinois that's probably the best lineup defensively because they have 6'10" guys who can shoot the 3 that Duby and Jordy will never be able to guard.  It's probably the best lineup against Northwestern also because of the problems they've had against Pardon on the screen and roll.

Duby is a not quite 6'8" guy with no offensive skills that have been apparent, whose on-ball defense against low post threats hasn't been that great a lot of the time and who got beat down the floor constantly today.  I'm not sure how well you hold up in the Big Ten if he's your primary interior player.  The problem is, if Jordy is playing like hot garbage, the ceiling on this team just doesn't look that high, unless Watson/Palmer/Copeland/Gill all get on an extended hot streak shooting the ball.

Edited by Dead Dog Alley

4 hours ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

With Jordy on the floor today, Nebraska got outscored 18-25.  With Duby, it was 8-20.  With Copeland/Roby at center, it was 13-17.  With Tanner, it was 18-24 (with a 6-0 MSU stretch in the last minute at garbage time.)

But I don't think Roby/Copeland at the two interior positions would ever work for extended minutes against Michigan State or Purdue just because there wouldn't be enough interior defense.  It wouldn't work against Minnesota because they'd get killed on the boards.  Maryland, Penn State, Iowa, Ohio State, Wisconsin, and Indiana all have at least one physical presence down low that is averaging double figures that would cause that lineup a lot of problems.  Against Michigan and Illinois that's probably the best lineup defensively because they have 6'10" guys who can shoot the 3 that Duby and Jordy will never be able to guard.  It's probably the best lineup against Northwestern also because of the problems they've had against Pardon on the screen and roll.

Duby is a not quite 6'8" guy with no offensive skills that have been apparent, whose on-ball defense against low post threats hasn't been that great a lot of the time and who got beat down the floor constantly today.  I'm not sure how well you hold up in the Big Ten if he's your primary interior player.  The problem is, if Jordy is playing like hot garbage, the ceiling on this team just doesn't look that high, unless Watson/Palmer/Copeland/Gill all get on an extended hot streak shooting the ball.

That's the problem I see with the Roby/Cope front line too. There are some teams in the league it might work, but against most we'd see a huge physical mismatch. (as opposed to a basketball playing mismatch). 

3 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

That's the problem I see with the Roby/Cope front line too. There are some teams in the league it might work, but against most we'd see a huge physical mismatch. (as opposed to a basketball playing mismatch). 

I don't see that many teams where it'd put us at a huge disadvantage.   Michigan State and Purdue are big and physical.  Maybe Wisconsin with Happ and Minnesota with Murphy.   Though, I'd argue the increased athleticsm would help up more with Murphy than size.  Not to mention what it does for us on our end of the court.

Edited by nustudent

Jordy isn't a bad basketball player. He shot 45% from the floor and 62.5% from the line and that was after a slow start to the year. For him to take such a dramatic step backwards is perplexing.

Duby was better than 60% from the floor, too. He didn't attempt many shots, but over the course of 3 seasons he was much more efficient than he's been.

I gotta believe there's some reversion back to those numbers for both of them.

Edited by uneblinstu
Couldn't find the keys.

19 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

Jordy isn't a bad basketball player. He shot 45% from the floor and 62.5% from the line and that was after a slow start to the year. For him to take such a dramatic step backwards is perplexing.

Duby was better than 60% from the floor, too. He didn't attempt many shots, but over the course of 3 seasons he was much more efficient than he's been.

I gotta believe there's some reversion back to those numbers for both of them.

Watching them the last couple of games has been brutal.   Bad hands, bad feet, bad skills, really dumb fouls, lack of body control, can't shoot free throws, in Jordy's case no right hand, the list goes on.     Right now they can't play many minutes because of fouls, and when they do, it isn't pretty.   It's hard to see us being successful as a team, in this league, with these bigs.     There is an occasional glimmer with Jordy, but play in and play out it ain't good.  Maybe it will click.   Its gonna need to.   

Edited by HB

10 minutes ago, LK1 said:

PLAY ZONE PLAY ZONE PLAY ZONE.

We do not have the lateral quickness to consistently defend pick and rolls.  We do, however, have the length, skill, and savvy to be a very pesky 1-3-1 team.  

I agree. But Miles hates zone. I guess he's just stubborn? Would like to see us play more zone. I don't think it would hurt.

13 minutes ago, LK1 said:

PLAY ZONE PLAY ZONE PLAY ZONE.

We do not have the lateral quickness to consistently defend pick and rolls.  We do, however, have the length, skill, and savvy to be a very pesky 1-3-1 team.  

It looks like teams have figured out how to attack the 1-3-1 that we play, where we put our post player down low to protect the lane and he doesn't run the baseline.  We've given up a lot of easy open 3s from the corner when we've rolled it out there.

2 minutes ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

It looks like teams have figured out how to attack the 1-3-1 that we play, where we put our post player down low to protect the lane and he doesn't run the baseline.  We've given up a lot of easy open 3s from the corner when we've rolled it out there.

Then don't put a center there.

10 minutes ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

We play it the same way if Roby or Copeland is on the baseline, the guy down low has pretty much the same responsibility (the way we run it) as the guy in the middle of a 2-3.  They don't go out and cover the corners.

So put a guard there. Glynn would be great there.

I absolutely hate our 2-3 zone.  It's completely worthless unless you are a morph wizard like Boeheim--it's hardly a 2-3 with all the variations they work with.  We don't have that level of sophistication here with ours, so we shouldn't run it.  

But the 1-3-1 has been very disruptive with our length.  We've forced some uncomfortable shots and turnovers with it.  Now, MSU hit a baseline jumper right away, and we never even bothered trying it again.  I looked at it as a positive--everything we had given up to that point was a layup or putback, so at least it forced their center to shoot jump shots.  

And, yeah, I agree that Miles hates zone--he's adamant about this.  I just don't get it when it comes to our current roster--we don't have great lateral athletes, but we have good length and skill in addition to straight line speed.  It makes players like Jack and Jordy WAY more useful, and it creates a lot of fast break opportunities out of rebounds.