Nebraska (6-2) vs Mich St. (6-1) Game Thread

Bugeaters1

I'm not going to go crazy over this one.  I'm just glad we won't see them again.  Every team in the Big 10 is beatable this year.  Minny is a much bigger game and will give a more accurate representation of how the rest of the season might go.

MSU might not lose another game this year in the regular season.

6 minutes ago, jayschool said:

Just think if we ran this lineup out there:

1. Watson/Allen

2. Taylor/Gill

3. Palmer/Roby

4. Copeland/McVeigh

5. Ward/Schilling

We're that close to being a pretty darn good team. Such weakness at the 5. Any presence in there would open up so much.

If your guards were Watson, Gill, and Allen, your small wings were Palmer and Taylor, your bigger wings were Copeland, Roby, and McVeigh, and your interior players were Morrow, Jacobson, and Tshimanga, you'd probably finish in the top half of the conference.

1 minute ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

If your guards were Watson, Gill, and Allen, your small wings were Palmer and Taylor, your bigger wings were Copeland, Roby, and McVeigh, and your interior players were Morrow, Jacobson, and Tshimanga, you'd probably finish in the top half of the conference.

I see people keep saying things like this.  Are we assuming Morrow wouldn't mind doing the dirty work down inside for the next two years?  Are we assuming he is playing hard every single minute even though he considers himself "out of position?"  If so, then I would agree, we would be tougher than we are now.  However, if Morrow is going to want to play out further and not be banging inside, then I would take Copeland and Roby both over him.  Jacobson wouldn't have had much time on this team I'm afraid.

4 hours ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

I don't think they make that big of a difference. Copeland is not a big wing so he's taking minutes from both of the two that left if they were still here. Morrow plays if he can keep a good attitude and that helps with some of our rebounding issues. With Copeland and Roby and especially if Morrow stays as in your scenario, Jacobson just isn't getting on the floor which is why I think he left. 

46 minutes ago, Dean Smith said:

I don't think they make that big of a difference. Copeland is not a big wing so he's taking minutes from both of the two that left if they were still here. Morrow plays if he can keep a good attitude and that helps with some of our rebounding issues. With Copeland and Roby and especially if Morrow stays as in your scenario, Jacobson just isn't getting on the floor which is why I think he left. 

The way Jordy is performing right now, either Morrow or Jacobson would be a better option at the 5.  But, obviously, neither of them wanted to play the 5 in the Big Ten, and one would assume that neither Roby nor Copeland are enamored with doing it either.  Which leads to the problem we'll always have in this conference - if you can't recruit a 5, you'll have problems recruiting 4s because they don't want to be thrown in at center.

15 hours ago, nuhusker7 said:

The total score is going to make it look a lot worse than it really was. That was reasonably about 20 game.

Not going to ruin our season, we just need to get one of these next 3, and everything will be fine.

What game were you watching???  The final score was pretty accurate of how lopsided this game was. 

15 hours ago, jayschool said:

Just think if we ran this lineup out there:

1. Watson/Allen

2. Taylor/Gill

3. Palmer/Roby

4. Copeland/McVeigh

5. Ward/Schilling

We're that close to being a pretty darn good team. Such weakness at the 5. Any presence in there would open up so much.

Maybe a different coach.

43 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Yeah, the whole game we were teetering on the boarder of coming within 10 or going down by 20.  A few missed MSU shots and a few NU makes a couple of times would have cut the lead to 8-12 points in the second half.

Seems like we could never get over the hump.  Had lots of opportunities but couldn't get a rebound or a bucket when we needed it.  And Jordy's missed dunk certainly didn't help!!!

Just now, kldm64 said:

Seems like we could never get over the hump.  Had lots of opportunities but couldn't get a rebound or a bucket when we needed it.  And Jordy's missed dunk certainly didn't help!!!

If I remember right, we did end up scoring the possession that Jordy missed that dunk.  However, you are correct.  We never had that break.  Never could put together a string of 3-4 buckets and 3-4 stops.  

50 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

If I remember right, we did end up scoring the possession that Jordy missed that dunk.  However, you are correct.  We never had that break.  Never could put together a string of 3-4 buckets and 3-4 stops.  

Yeah, we actually gained a  point as we hit a 3.  Still........

• 1 month later...