Clempson (4-2) vs. Nebraska (4-2) Game Thread

Bugeaters1

9 hours ago, 12dozen said:

To those in the know, does it seem Coach Williams has settled on 5 players that will get the bulk of the minutes, or was it how the teams matched up, that dictated who played last night?  Along the same lines, were the match ups not favorable to have Rachel on the floor, or is she limited physically?  If wishing would make her physically 100% again, I'm sure those on this site, would have made her sound long ago. It's impossible not to root for that young lady.    

Not sure why Rachel only saw 3 minutes.  She had a turnover during that time... Maybe that was why she was a spectator for the remainder of the game.   She didn't know.  

I'm biased... acknowledged.  I fully acknowledge that Rachel is not an offensive scoring powerhouse.  However, I've watched her play at the Power 5 Conference level enough to know that her defense and her on-court leadership provide both tangible and intangible results.  I believe her defense and leadership would have been worth at least 4 points. 

46 minutes ago, dlrrk said:

Not sure why Rachel only saw 3 minutes.  She had a turnover during that time... Maybe that was why she was a spectator for the remainder of the game.   She didn't know.  

I'm biased... acknowledged.  I fully acknowledge that Rachel is not an offensive scoring powerhouse.  However, I've watched her play at the Power 5 Conference level enough to know that her defense and her on-court leadership provide both tangible and intangible results.  I believe her defense and leadership would have been worth at least 4 points. 

Watched a BTN replay tonight and thought I saw Rachel in her warn ups in the second half. Did she strain a knee...or something... maybe??

But after watching a replay, we really did have opportunities to win it. Played much better in the second half. And I see what was mentioned about the officiating ...bad....

One time Kissenger was hit in the face, and it looked intentional to me....and the over and back call later...bad call. 

We just missed maybe 5 fairly easy layups in the fourth qtr.....and at the end of the game. Definitely was a winnable game. Looked like it was in the bag with about 3-4 min to go.  We're just so close to putting it all together. Will just be patient and watch it play out. We are far better than last year at this time.

Edited by redsteve

9 hours ago, redsteve said:

Watched a BTN replay tonight and thought I saw Rachel in her warn ups in the second half. Did she strain a knee...or something... maybe??

But after watching a replay, we really did have opportunities to win it. Played much better in the second half. And I see what was mentioned about the officiating ...bad....

One time Kissenger was hit in the face, and it looked intentional to me....and the over and back call later...bad call. 

We just missed maybe 5 fairly easy layups in the fourth qtr.....and at the end of the game. Definitely was a winnable game. Looked like it was in the bag with about 3-4 min to go.  We're just so close to putting it all together. Will just be patient and watch it play out. We are far better than last year at this time.

Again, I'll state up front...  I'm unapologetically biased. 

Rachel was not in warmups following halftime.  I thought she'd play in the "second half..."  She thought she'd play.  Was she physically able to play? Yes.

I stand by my contention... More of her presence on the court would have accounted for fewer Clemson points.  How many fewer?  Who knows, but they didn't need many.

Sports and warfare have parallels.  They're not the same, but they have parallels.  Leadership is extremely important in both endeavors.  Leadership is the most important factor of combat power.  Leadership significantly impacts the other six elements of combat power (fires, maneuver...)  In sports, leadership doesn't show up in a stat line, but you're a fool if you don't think it matters as much in sports as it does in warfare.  Rachel brings that leadership aspect to the court.  I spoke with announcer Matt prior to the Creighton game. I was talking to him about how Rachel likes to put her hand on the girl she is guarding.  She does it to piss the girl off.  The more the opponent swipes Rachel's hand off, the more Rachel puts her hand on...  She lives "rent-free" inside the girl's head.  Matt said...  "They're a different team when she's out there."  Yep.

After Ms. Whitish missed the game's last shot, and the game ended... I watched, and the first player over to give encouragement to # 3 was #43.  It's what leaders do.  

Knees hurt... yep.  

I've already said too much, and my view means nothing anyway.  

So, beat Navy again.

Dlrrk, l for one respect your opinion regarding your daughter. She is one of my favorite players on the team and also don’t understand the lack of playing time. With Simon out, we need her rebounding and inside defense. She clearly has demonstrated her commitment to the team.  Hopefully that commitment will start translating to more playing time. We will need her when Big Ten play begins.