Expectations for the next 5 games?

FredsSlacks

It always seems to take Miles's teams half a dozen games or so for the pieces to start fitting together and the team to start totally gelling.  At least when they're mixing in a bunch of newcomers.  We lost to UAB the year we made the dance.  UAB for goshsakes.  We were a better team starting about mid-December that year.  It took everyone else a bit of time to adjust to Terran Petteway and how to play alongside him.

This year, the players have to get a sense of what happens when James Palmer has an off nite.  Copeland is starting to be more aggressive looking for his shot.  

I think we're already a better team than we were against St. John's or UCF.  Provided Roby is healthy and available.

12 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Y'know, I hate to say that we've played this game before, but we've played this game before.

It's never been about the players they've lost because those players get replaced by other players.  The players they lost LAST year should have had a bigger impact than the ones they'll lose this year.

We need to just get better ourselves and not worry about that other team.

Exactly. Pretty sure Creighton only loses Foster and Hegner after this year. We gotta get right first.

3 hours ago, dustystehl said:

I think 1-4 is the most likely scenario; followed by 0-5, 2-3, 3-2, 4-1, 5-0.

We're 5-2 now.  7 games.  You have 30 games in your post.  Are you implying we're going to the NIT and win the whole thing?  

If so, you think we're going to go 0-5 during this stretch???

Wed Dec 20   243 UTSA W, 79-67 72 86% Home      
Fri Dec 22   348 Delaware St. W, 80-58 67 98% Home      
Fri Dec 29   307 Stetson W, 82-67 71 92% Home      
Tue Jan 2   50 Northwestern L, 77-68 68 20% Away   × a.gif
Sat Jan 6   13 Purdue L, 81-65 69 8% Away   × a.gif

19 minutes ago, 49r said:

We're 5-2 now.  7 games.  You have 30 games in your post.  Are you implying we're going to the NIT and win the whole thing?  

If so, you think we're going to go 0-5 during this stretch???

Wed Dec 20   243 UTSA W, 79-67 72 86% Home      
Fri Dec 22   348 Delaware St. W, 80-58 67 98% Home      
Fri Dec 29   307 Stetson W, 82-67 71 92% Home      
Tue Jan 2   50 Northwestern L, 77-68 68 20% Away   × a.gif
Sat Jan 6   13 Purdue L, 81-65 69 8% Away   × a.gif

No, but at first I thought the same... then I realized the deal. Besides, NU plays the UTSA, DE St, & Stetson "Magnificent Trifecta" immediately following KU. :ph34r:

Edited by AuroranHusker

23 hours ago, dustystehl said:

I think 1-4 is the most likely scenario; followed by 0-5, 2-3, 3-2, 4-1, 5-0.

Unfortunately I agree.  That said, games are played in real life and not on paper.  In sports there are always suprises.  I would love to see us shock some people and go 3-2.  We need some guys to step up in a big way.

10 minutes ago, busticket said:

Unfortunately I agree.  That said, games are played in real life and not on paper.  In sports there are always suprises.  I would love to see us shock some people and go 3-2.  We need some guys to step up in a big way.

They play the games for a reason! GBR!

Just now, AuroranHusker said:

The whole "one game at a time" mantra. I like it.

Heck yes!  That and BC is going to be our Rutgers, Iowa’s, Illinois, type teams that we have to beat at home if we want to do something with this year.  Winning these games separates the top half from the bottom half in a conference.

15 minutes ago, TimSmiles said:

i think we have to win 2 or miles may find himself on the edge of the hot seat. if we go into january 1st with no quality wins, that is a bad sign.

I was thinking it but i wasn’t going to say it.  We really need to show something this year.  I believe we have the pieces to make a run.  We need Glynn, Copeland and Palmer firing on all cylinders by the time conference play hits.  I would prefer sooner, say starting tonight!  It would help so much if Jordy could get on track.

Edited by busticket

36 minutes ago, TimSmiles said:

i think we have to win 2 or miles may find himself on the edge of the hot seat. if we go into january 1st with no quality wins, that is a bad sign.

While it would certainly be nice, saying we have to win 2 is something that I do not think is entirely correct.  After the KU game, we only have 1 (currently ranked team) on our schedule the rest of the year.  While the Big 10 will be a dog fight this year, it will be a muddled mess I think at the end of the year.  We need to show good in in games we are supposed to win.

We need to win tonight, and then we will let the next four play out.  I am not going to make a "hot seat" judgement after one of the toughest 4 game stretches any team in the nation will play no matter the outcome.  

1 hour ago, hskr4life said:

I am not going to make a "hot seat" judgement after one of the toughest 4 game stretches any team in the nation will play no matter the outcome.  

I agree with you, but what if we get blown out (20+ points) in each of those games (not likely, but not impossible)? Would there be any validity for "hot seat" talk then?

Just want to know people's thoughts on this. Personally, January 1st is a bit early for such talk, but given the outcome of the past three seasons, one can't help but fear a similar result - a result which could (or even SHOULD) cost Miles his job.

Just now, dustystehl said:

I agree with you, but what if we get blown out (20+ points) in each of those games (not likely, but not impossible)? Would there be any validity for "hot seat" talk then?

Just want to know people's thoughts on this. Personally, January 1st is a bit early for such talk, but given the outcome of the past three seasons, one can't help but fear a similar result - a result which could (or even SHOULD) cost Miles his job.

If we get blown out by 20+ points in the 4 games after BC, I will be pissed.  I will be downright displeased.  My hopes for the season will be in the dumps.  I will be left wondering if we can compete with the upper tier teams that will take us somewhere come march.

However, I will save the hot seat talk until I see how we are playing against our biggest competition to make the dance.  I want to see how the first 6 games in conference go in January.  Those will be the teams that we need to be solid against.  Those will be the teams that decide if our record is 10-8+ in conference or 6-12 below in conference.  

11 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

If we get blown out by 20+ points in the 4 games after BC, I will be pissed.  I will be downright displeased.  My hopes for the season will be in the dumps.  I will be left wondering if we can compete with the upper tier teams that will take us somewhere come march.

Then we are on the same page!