nuhusker7

3 hours ago, dustystehl said:

We should run against everybody. This half-court protect-the-ball/possession offense is not working (look at the turnovers). We don't shoot well.

Why not use our athleticism to run and dunk on people? Because Tim Miles refuses to change. That's why.

We don’t have a possession offense. I’m not even sure what a protect the ball offense is, running the shot clock down every possession? If that’s what you mean, we don’t do that. We are trying to run. It’s hard to do that after made baskets and the packline defense we run is designed to not give up easy shots so that means it doesn’t create many turnovers. 

Go ahead and give your opinion but you should stop making technical comments because you don’t seem to really understand the game on a more than surface level. 

15 hours ago, Dean Smith said:

We don’t have a possession offense. I’m not even sure what a protect the ball offense is, running the shot clock down every possession? If that’s what you mean, we don’t do that. We are trying to run. It’s hard to do that after made baskets and the packline defense we run is designed to not give up easy shots so that means it doesn’t create many turnovers. 

Go ahead and give your opinion but you should stop making technical comments because you don’t seem to really understand the game on a more than surface level. 

You're right. Everything we've been doing is working and fits the personnel perfectly.

It was interesting watching the Marist broadcast.  We controlled the tempo throughout the game.  At times we ran, at times we didn't run, but literally had one pass and a shot, and other times we worked the ball and scored or at least shot late in the shot clock. 

Against Central Florida we couldn't or at least didn't control the tempo.  In the first half we simply passed the ball around the perimeter and shot, or dumped it to the post (unsuccessfully), we did much better in the second half. 

I guess that is a concern of mine.  We struggled in the same manner at St. John's.  We will struggle this year when we cannot dictate tempo.  I know that is not revolutionary, but nonetheless, it remains a concern of mine. 

That was our slowest KenPom Adj tempo game in terms of possessions for the season. ATM we're on pace for the fastest KPATempo season under Miles though were towards the bottom-middle of the pack as the NCAA itself has sped up tempo.

Tomorrow's Long Beach St team will be a fast paced team, at least offensively. 

This is why I'm in favor of majority zone for this team.  We don't have a ton of lateral quickness, but we have good straight line speed and we're lanky and skilled.  Zone gives us the chance to run more and get to our spots.  I just don't think there are a ton of teams that can pick apart a zone in 2017.  The game is so pick and roll/iso dominated now that zone seems to force midrange jumpers, which is now the most uncomfortable shot in basketball.  

25 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

That was our slowest KenPom Adj tempo game in terms of possessions for the season. ATM we're on pace for the fastest KPATempo season under Miles though were towards the bottom-middle of the pack as the NCAA itself has sped up tempo.

Tomorrow's Long Beach St team will be a fast paced team, at least offensively. 

I've been thinking that scoring this season seems to be up in College Hoops.  I assume it's due to the shorter shot clock and the freedom of movement rules finally paying off.

5 hours ago, LK1 said:

This is why I'm in favor of majority zone for this team.  We don't have a ton of lateral quickness, but we have good straight line speed and we're lanky and skilled.  Zone gives us the chance to run more and get to our spots.  I just don't think there are a ton of teams that can pick apart a zone in 2017.  The game is so pick and roll/iso dominated now that zone seems to force midrange jumpers, which is now the most uncomfortable shot in basketball.  

Agreed. Most teams aren't going to beat you if they are getting very few shots in the paint. Make them shoots jumpers and 3s. Tends to work for teams who run zone against us. I would love to see us run zone at least half of the time.

13 minutes ago, Silverbacked1 said:

Does the zone become not as useful as we use it more and other teams have a chance to prepare for it?

Just asking.. Or do we twink the zones so that others don't have the chance to know exactly what or how we are to run it?

Syracuse says here's our 2-3, now go ahead and beat it.

19 hours ago, 49r said:

I've been thinking that scoring this season seems to be up in College Hoops.  I assume it's due to the shorter shot clock and the freedom of movement rules finally paying off.

That's a big part of it. Also college kids are getting incrementally better at shooting FTs.