uneblinstu's postgame chatter: Vol: 10; ed: 5 - Advocare Invitational - Central Florida

uneblinstu

I only got to watch or listen to spurts of the first half. What I heard and saw was pretty ugly and felt pretty typical of what I've watched the past few years.

Second half:

• They hit a couple shots early and brought a lot more energy.
  • Switched the defense up that got UCF out of sorts.
  • I liked Jordy getting physical with Tacko.
  • NU seems to get out hustled a lot. NU needs to be junk-yard dogs. They're not most of the time. The opponent has been more often.
  • This is the best Jordy has looked all year.
  • Palmer and Watson showed up today.
  • They had a chance to cut it to 4 a couple of times. Jordy missed the front end, then UCF hit a 3 from a dude who'd been 1-8 on the season. Then, NU gets a bucket and a turnover, Glynn takes a quick 3 and then Jordy about killed a dude. Game was all but over at that point.
  • The next two are winnable. Make sure it happens. Nobody's gonna be watching tomorrow and, assuming Marist doesn't shock the world, they're gonna be winless on the season. Gotta end up in that 5th place game on Sunday. They *should* be the best team of those 4 that lost today. Doubtful I'll get to the chatter tomorrow.

59 points against that team is embarrasing.

The other 3 teams UCF have played are Gardner Webb, Mercer and William and Mary. All three put up more points than Nebraska.

We need someone on the bench who knows how to run a good offense. Not having one is likely going to cost Miles his job.

Honestly, we need to tighten our rotation. If Thomas is still hurting, why rush to bring him back? He looked a step slow. Also, the Tanner experiment can be over. Shouldn’t have gone in when Tako went out. What was that?

Not sure I see much time for Jack if we play against athletic teams, which is 98% of the big ten. Just sayin. Palmer, Copeland, and Watson all need to score in double digits for us to have a chance. 

We have to play a majority zone defense this season.  Mix in man to man to change it up.

Why can't all our guys have a good night at the same time?  Palmer has a good night, but Copeland and Watson have a terrible night.

Not a big fan of the sub pattern in the 2nd half.  Gill with only 3 minutes was questionable.  I kind of understand going with the guys that trimmed the lead, but he finally has some confidence in his shot.

Allen must be banged up. 

Can't shoot 34 % and allow the other team to shoot 51 % and expect to win.

3 minutes ago, hhcdave said:

Sure would be nice to have junior campaigns of Mike Jacobson and Ed Morrow. I know that's the hottest take of all hot takes and it doesn't matter because its not reality, but man.... oh man....

don't think they would have made a difference to be honest. jody and copeland put up 14 and 17. that's about what we were getting from morrow/jacobsen.

shooting is where we are struggling. i suppose horne could have helped in that area. i'm not sure why miles didn't play him more last year.

Edited by TimSmiles

Just now, hhcdave said:

Sure would be nice to have junior campaigns of Mike Jacobson and Ed Morrow. I know that's the hottest take of all hot takes and it doesn't matter because its not reality, but man.... oh man....

It would be nicer than an unused scholarship, or Thor, but other than that, I think we are about the same team with those guys playing.  Especially, with Morrow wanting to play outside.   Jacobson probably gets very few minutes. 

8 minutes ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

Honestly, we need to tighten our rotation. If Thomas is still hurting, why rush to bring him back? He looked a step slow. Also, the Tanner experiment can be over. Shouldn’t have gone in when Tako went out. What was that?

Not sure I see much time for Jack if we play against athletic teams, which is 98% of the big ten. Just sayin. Palmer, Copeland, and Watson all need to score in double digits for us to have a chance. 

I personally think it's a combination of him still being somewhat banged up and hitting the freshman wall extremely early in the season 

30 minutes ago, hhcdave said:

It's also very possible Jacobson and Morrow would have improved from last year, too.

Though our recent track record doesn't show too many guys getting much better from year to year (Pitchford, McVeigh, Jordy three that come to mind immediately)

their skills were pretty limited outside the paint, but obviously i'd rather have them both than duby/borchardt

This team is terrible.  It's another same team different year already this early in the season.  Tim Miles is done.  No way this team makes the tournament.  I'm getting sick of this and going to games when I already know how this season ends.  There is no identity and no offense.  It used to be isolate a player and let him score when they had lack of talent and now I don't know what it is.  This team is soft too.  For a coach that likes to talk about defense I see no threat inside or toughness grabbing boards or going after loose balls.  I know its early and may be an over reaction but Im just sick of the same old story every year.

15 minutes ago, coughunter said:

This team is terrible.  It's another same team different year already this early in the season.  Tim Miles is done.  No way this team makes the tournament.  I'm getting sick of this and going to games when I already know how this season ends.  There is no identity and no offense.  It used to be isolate a player and let him score when they had lack of talent and now I don't know what it is.  This team is soft too.  For a coach that likes to talk about defense I see no threat inside or toughness grabbing boards or going after loose balls.  I know its early and may be an over reaction but Im just sick of the same old story every year.

It is very early.  Our NCAA tournament run, we were 8-8, and 0-4 in conference.  That team had much less talent that year.  We were +4 on the offensive boards, and seemed in the 2nd half to have some energy on the defensive end.

26 minutes ago, brfrad said:

It is very early.  Our NCAA tournament run, we were 8-8, and 0-4 in conference.  That team had much less talent that year.  We were +4 on the offensive boards, and seemed in the 2nd half to have some energy on the defensive end.

Good reminder. Not because I think we should be focusing on the NCAA tournament, but more because we are two losses in. 

Need to go get the rotation tweaked. Lots of Watson Taylor Palmer Copeland and Roby. Like Gill and think Jordy, Jack, and Allen can offer some help too. I don't see a sixth man spark but think starting Roby would help others not to forget about him. 

At this point, walkons only play if a blowout. We have to play better. Harder. Tougher. I'm not down on the whole season yet, but am disappointed with this game. 

50 minutes ago, brfrad said:

Heres the problem though. 7 of those 8 losses were to top 60 rpi teams and were close games. We also had an OOC win against FGU who was considered a quality early win that made it not look awful.

UCF is weaker than every loss we had that 8 game stretch except for UAB and St. Johns is signficantly worse than UAB.

St. Johns is barely a top 150 team and is lower ranked than UNO.

1 hour ago, brfrad said:

I agree its early but this is year 6 and an overall losing record.  We do this all time in these tournaments and now will be playing 2 garbage teams.  Im sick of getting out butts kicked by Crayton every year and seeing the teams they have. There is no reason this team should be where it is and be the laughing stock of power 5 teams and even all of college basketball.  This team has too much money, resources, and facilities to be a bubble team or in the tournament almost every year.  Once again its bring in all this talent and I dont see any light at the end.

Just now, brfrad said:

I don't see anyone on this roster leading the B1G in scoring or to a 4th place Conference finish...

21 minutes ago, Blackshirt83 said:

Heres the problem though. 7 of those 8 losses were to top 60 rpi teams and were close games. We also had an OOC win against FGU who was considered a quality early win that made it not look awful.

UCF is weaker than every loss we had that 8 game stretch except for UAB and St. Johns is signficantly worse than UAB.

St. Johns is barely a top 150 team and is lower ranked than UNO.

What rankings are you looking at?  As of Monday, KenPom had St John's 48th, and UCF 64th.  Their RPI's are 28th and 22nd respectively. 

We really should be 9 - 4 in non conference.  That means a 7 - 11 record is all we need in conference to go 16 - 15.  Still doable. 

Watson has struggled trying to be the stud scorer and shooter this year.

Palmer had a nice 2nd half.  Hopefully he can carry that on going forward.  Really need him to take pressure off Watson.

Taylor has been decent.  Seems to have a better stroke from 3 than last year.  Doesn't shoot very many, though.

Copeland had a big game, and then struggled offensively, again.  Need more consistency from him.

Jordy had his best half of the season in the 2nd half.

Okeke is a foul waiting to happen.

Roby had his worst outing of the year.  Not much he could do going up against a guy 9 inches taller than him.

McVeigh is giving nothing to this team.

Gill has had 2 solid games.  Hopefully can give this team something offensively to help off the bench.

Allen's injury is a bummer.  Really need him to get healthy for his shooting.

Nana and Thor should have redshirted.

This team needs all it's parts playing well.  That hasn't happened, yet.  Doesn't mean it won't happen.