Postgame chatter: Vol: 10; ed: 4 - North Dakota

Bugeaters1

- North Dakota looked like a team of midgets to me, which may help explain why we seemed to perform better with smaller lineups in the game.

- North Dakota is not a good team no matter how polite you want to be.  We should have beat them by at least 30 and failing to do so is a disappointment in my opinion.

- North Dakota having a transfer from Creighton (who was also their top scorer today) made me dislike them very, very much.  I wish he would have fouled out.

- Good...no...GREAT to see Copeland and Gill get hooked up with the 3 point shots, but again, a lot of their success shooting may be attributable to the ND players being so tiny.

- Overall a win's a win, but this one was a solid "meh plus" in my book.  On to Orlando.  Maybe we can fit Scott Frost into the luggage compartment on the plane ride back.

Edited by 49r

Jordy has regressed in my book. 100% left moves only.  Sometimes does not even get his eyes on the rim before shooting the ball. Dribbles in the lane against double teams thus becoming a turnover machine. 

And finally he continues to bring the ball down to his waist so 5’9 guards can pick his pocket. He could be cured of this by running him until he pukes in practice EVERY TIME he brings the ball down. Guarantee it will work after the second time he puked his guts out.

But on the positive side he does hustle as much as any big man I’ve ever seen...diving for loose balls, etc., so in my book he gets minutes to improve his game.

IMO If he gets a good look at the rim before shooting and keeps the ball up high he’ll deserve minutes rather than playing charity minutes. With lots of coaching he could be very good.

Was able to upgrade from my usual 200 level seats to the second row of section 111 for this game. Wow, being up close, you really get to see so much more of facial expressions, hear the players chatter, and hear the coaches pretty crystal clear.  

Pregame: No Husker Power chant attempted by students at all. Too bad, as it’s been a mainstay tradition at PBA since the first season. Hopefully the usual leaders went home early for break.

Game: Very up close to Duby’s Alley Oop. Guy has amazing wingspan, should play tight end and be a FG blocker for our football team. Guy skies for rebounds. 

Great to see the Raleigh guys have breakout games. Gill looked very confident out there. 

Taylor runs the show much more than I thought, he’s barking out actions and pretty talkative. 

As previously mentioned, Palmer looked just a bit pressed today.

I personally thought Jordy in the second half hurt us and was a key reason why North Dakota pulled closer. He simply doesn’t have the foot speed to guard smaller players who drive at him. I think he may have given up at least 8 points in a small stretch. I aaw Miles look at Roby, who was waiting to check in, say “are you going to do something about this?” 

Postgame: Miles comments about UCF and the 7’6” Big was insightful. Said something about, our bigs not being able to run out front of them, but “we’ll get it figured out, Roby and Cope will.”

Good win today. On to Orlando. 

I only got to see the first half, but here are my impressions:

- This was the crispest basketball we've played in games that count this season. Hopefully they can carry that over. They'll need to be even better over the next few weeks.

- It was great to see Gill and Copeland play well. If we get half as much from them on most nights as we got from them today, the slow start will be a mere afterthought and we'll be very happy with how this season turns out.

- Jordy seems like everything is taking him by surprise right now. Not sure what's going on. Maybe things are moving really fast for him. He was a legit contributor by the end of the season last year. Need to get him back to that level pronto.

- In the pregame, Miles said they needed to contain Crandall or North Dakota could join the List of Ignominy. They did a great job of containing him.

- I don't know if North Dakota was bad or NU played well (probably some of both) but NU got just about whatever they wanted today. There finishing better at the rim, yet there's still room for improvement there.

- Got an update late in the 2nd half and thought we might have been able to crack the century mark for the first time under Miles. Maybe next time.

- I have no idea how much of their games I'll get to watch this weekend. I'd love to see them get a shot at WVU.

Do not agree these guys are horrible, anytime you beat a tourney team by 20+ is more than acceptable. They were small but so was E Illini and St Johns, we played much better on both ends than those two game.

I do agree Roby / Copeland is our best line up. If we want to reach our potential we have to get Jordy playing better, at least as he was to end last year. There are to many big guys in the BIG10 that would really wear down Roby and Copeland. So we need to play Jordy as much as possible without giving games away to get him back up to speed. On a bright note he is passing better than before, just needs to stop thinking what move he is going to go and just go.

Previous years this might be an L with our two top scorers having subpar games and this year we win by 20+, so that is a good sign. Hopefully it translates against better opponents.

Good:

Copeland with a break out game.  Hope he can continue with the confident shooting.

Gill with a nice game and extended minutes.  Nice to see him play well after fighting all the injuries.

Roby's all-around game.

Taylor's defense.

Bad:

Transition defense after a made basket.  How many relatively easy layups did they get after NU scored?

1 hour ago, huskercwg said:

Some of the great things about having Isaiah and Isaac on the floor at the same time:  both are excellent defenders (although they may struggle against classic centers) and they are interchangeable on both the offensive and defensive end.  Both can play on the perimeter, both can close out on shooters, both can play back to the basket, both have good post games and both have a good mid-range game.  Both can shoot free throws, both can get to the line and both can rebound, and oh yes, both can block or alter shots.  Both can also shoot the three, but we will see the quality of their "3" game as we move through the season.

Con- one can grow a sweet beard and the other may never shave in his life.:huh:

Edited by Silverbacked1

1 hour ago, bkamler said:

Jordy has regressed in my book. 100% left moves only.  Sometimes does not even get his eyes on the rim before shooting the ball. Dribbles in the lane against double teams thus becoming a turnover machine. 

And finally he continues to bring the ball down to his waist so 5’9 guards can pick his pocket. He could be cured of this by running him until he pukes in practice EVERY TIME he brings the ball down. Guarantee it will work after the second time he puked his guts out.

But on the positive side he does hustle as much as any big man I’ve ever seen...diving for loose balls, etc., so in my book he gets minutes to improve his game.

IMO If he gets a good look at the rim before shooting and keeps the ball up high he’ll deserve minutes rather than playing charity minutes. With lots of coaching he could be very good.

I can't tell if you are being facetious or not, but there are other and better ways to train someone to keep the ball chinned. I'm sure it has been mentioned to him before. You can only get so far with negative conditioning and even if you want to go that route, you can get the same effect with one sprint as opposed to the getting to the puking stage. 

57 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

I only got to see the first half, but here are my impressions:

- This was the crispest basketball we've played in games that count this season. Hopefully they can carry that over. They'll need to be even better over the next few weeks.

- It was great to see Gill and Copeland play well. If we get half as much from them on most nights as we got from them today, the slow start will be a mere afterthought and we'll be very happy with how this season turns out.

- Jordy seems like everything is taking him by surprise right now. Not sure what's going on. Maybe things are moving really fast for him. He was a legit contributor by the end of the season last year. Need to get him back to that level pronto.

- In the pregame, Miles said they needed to contain Crandall or North Dakota could join the List of Ignominy. They did a great job of containing him.

- I don't know if North Dakota was bad or NU played well (probably some of both) but NU got just about whatever they wanted today. There finishing better at the rim, yet there's still room for improvement there.

- Got an update late in the 2nd half and thought we might have been able to crack the century mark for the first time under Miles. Maybe next time.

- I have no idea how much of their games I'll get to watch this weekend. I'd love to see them get a shot at WVU.

One thing I would add is that we are at our best when we get out and run. We did the opposite of that vs. St. John's and let them dictate the entire game. I'd like to see them embrace the running game. Hopefully the defense will come around.

58 minutes ago, Art Vandalay said:

Do not agree these guys are horrible, anytime you beat a tourney team by 20+ is more than acceptable. They were small but so was E Illini and St Johns, we played much better on both ends than those two game.

I do agree Roby / Copeland is our best line up. If we want to reach our potential we have to get Jordy playing better, at least as he was to end last year. There are to many big guys in the BIG10 that would really wear down Roby and Copeland. So we need to play Jordy as much as possible without giving games away to get him back up to speed. On a bright note he is passing better than before, just needs to stop thinking what move he is going to go and just go.

Previous years this might be an L with our two top scorers having subpar games and this year we win by 20+, so that is a good sign. Hopefully it translates against better opponents.

Agree here about Jordy. I get why everyone's questioning whether he should start. Roby should start and Roby/Copeland are our best big guys are popular statements. These statements are correct to date and I can also see that Jordy is struggling mightily. 

Hopefully its just coming back from the knee surgery but we need Jordy badly. At some point we're gonna need Jordy to lean on somebody. On the season have we played a team with a traditional big yet? It certainly makes a difference. A lot of these smaller schools have "bigs" that are in the 6'7"-6'8" range who are athletic. I see all the things Jordy is doing wrong but these are also not ideal matchups for him. Hopefully he gets his act together before we see a traditional big. Like I said, at some point we'll need him.

11 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

One thing I would add is that we are at our best when we get out and run. We did the opposite of that vs. St. John's and let them dictate the entire game. I'd like to see them embrace the running game. Hopefully the defense will come around.

Agree that we are better when we get out and run. Interesting thing about St John's and those guards they have is they play best in a helter skelter type of game. So possibly, the thought was for us to be deliberate and try to get them out of their game. Regardless, it didn't work as St Johns clearly dictated everything in that game. 

This is weird, not sure I've seen it in a long, long time if ever.  And it probably won't last another game.

But, if my math is correct, right now we have six (6) guys averaging double figure scoring.

After 4 games ...

Glynn has scored 54 points

James and Isaac have both scored 51 points

Evan and Isaiah have both scored 41 points

And, in 2 games, Anton has scored 20.

1 hour ago, Dean Smith said:

I can't tell if you are being facetious or not, but there are other and better ways to train someone to keep the ball chinned. I'm sure it has been mentioned to him before. You can only get so far with negative conditioning and even if you want to go that route, you can get the same effect with one sprint as opposed to the getting to the puking stage. 

That beautiful post move Isaiah executed to perfection early in the first half?

There's no reason at all that Jordy couldn't do that from the other side of the lane.

No reason other than needing to practice it.

But, see, that's one of the shortcomings of his style of hook shot that we talked about.

When you try to shoot a hook from your shoulders parallel to the target rather than rotating into the shot, it's not a counter move and there's no counter move out of it.  You have no lateral movement at all to create separation.  Your hips are static.  Your shoulders are static; you're just using them to create the separation.  

The reason Isaiah found himself so wide open was his defender bit on the head fake and lunged toward the baseline while Isaiah spun clockwise away from the defender and had a wide open jumper.

Jordy could do that if someone would work with him on the footwork.  Maybe Isaiah could be that guy.  We know Isaiah knows how to do it.

8 hours ago, hhcdave said:

No way in heck we should have beaten that team by 30. We played great today. Vegas spread was 10. beating them by 20+ is terrific.

-The Ghost Named Dave

I was thinking the same thing.  But then again, 99% of people will find a negative thing to say over a positive for whatever reason.  Its why we have 2 pages of comments after a win and usually 5-6 after a loss.  Its sad really. 

11 hours ago, Dean Smith said:

How about making board members run till they puke after a bad post? :blink: 

• Great to see Copeland getting shots inside.  He's way too good of an athlete to not get bunnies for himself down low.  
  • Same with Roby--good to see him getting to the line a few times tonight.  
  • I'm still not nearly worried about Jordy as some.  We are going to need every bit of his size to matchup to the Purdues of the B1G.  Gotta cut him a bit of slack considering he has yet to match up against a true center.  I think as long as other teams are rolling out a front court of 6'7"-6'8" players, it's fine if we start Roby and and Copeland as an interchangeable 4-5.  But when we have to go against true skilled centers in the punishing B1G, I think Jordy will have a much bigger impact.  
  • It's a great sign that Palmer had an off night and still managed to contribute a good all around game.  

UCF's bigs are two forwards who go 6'9, 210 and 6'9, 240.  They also have the tallest player (Tacko Fall, 7'6" 270 and a decent player) in CBB who might be available for the game and a 6'11 F off the bench--you probably have to roll out Jordy for those matchups.  I wouldn't have a problem rolling out Watson, Taylor, Palmer, Copeland, and Roby as the starters on Thursday.   There's a whole bunch of skill in that lineup.