uneblinstu's postgame chatter: Vol: 10; ed: 3 - @ St. John's

uneblinstu

9 minutes ago, royalfan said:

Whatever you do, do not suggest we miss Craig Smith.  Our current staff is just as good at coaching.  You will get lynched around here if you bring up his name for some reason. 

Haha! But we DO miss him! Isn't it obvious that our offensive woes started the season after he left?

16 minutes ago, royalfan said:

Whatever you do, do not suggest we miss Craig Smith.  Our current staff is just as good at coaching.  You will get lynched around here if you bring up his name for some reason. 

IF this season ends up mirroring the last three, and IF Miles is somehow still retained for next year, I would fully support bringing in a different assistant, who is known as an offensive wizard.  This would probably mean letting go of Lewis.  

4 minutes ago, hal9000 said:

IF this season ends up mirroring the last three, and IF Miles is somehow still retained for next year, I would fully support bringing in a different assistant, who is known as an offensive wizard.  This would probably mean letting go of Lewis.  

I doubt that if this season goes like the last 3 (ie under .500) record, Miles is retained.  But, there is a lot of season left, so we are a long ways from going down that road.  Hopefully last night will be the exception not the rule, but it looked like same old Nebrasketball last night.

31 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

Disagree.  Your maturity level and overcoming getting rattled is due to the amount of years and games you have played.  It has nothing to do with how long the team has played together.  The T's the Palmer and Watson got had nothing to do with not playing together. 

Not the actual T's they got....how a team reacts an plays together is more a reflection of them playing together and trusting each other.

young teams can do this, old teams can do this....but In my  opinion players that have played together longer have a better ability to trust their teammates.

7 minutes ago, hal9000 said:

Wasn't that guy Lewis though?  By all accounts his was the offensive guy who was going to bring some new life in that area.  Honestly, I haven't seen it yet....is Miles too much of a control freak in that regard?  Is he not allowing Lewis to put his fingerprint on our identity? I don't know.  Then again, when you have players that can hit shots you offense magically looks better.  But, we more times than not look disorganized and our spacing is typically pretty horrible. 

2 minutes ago, Blindcheck said:

Not the actual T's they got....how a team reacts an plays together is more a reflection of them playing together and trusting each other.

young teams can do this, old teams can do this....but In my  opinion players that have played together longer have a better ability to trust their teammates.

Palmer got T'd up for talking trash.  That has nothing to with playing together longer or trusting their teammates?  I don't understand your point.

1 minute ago, kldm64 said:

Palmer got T'd up for talking trash.  That has nothing to with playing together longer or trusting their teammates?  I don't understand your point.

It is not the T that I am talking about.

It is how a team reacts when adversity hits.....The T was the adversity...and to me the team just lost all of its intensity and did not react well after the technical.

in my opinion, teams that have chemistry from playing together, seem to be better at overcoming obstacles in their game.

Stjohns1.gif

I slowed this down.

Jordy sealing 6'7" 210lb Ahmed. Waston trying to get him the ball early on.

Was this one Jordy making himself so small and/or Watson trying to deliver it down there?

Also this is part of the motion offense we're trying to run, right? Watson as the option to deliver it down to Jordy or catch Copeland rotation to the top. On the other side Palmer and Taylor are spaced out ready to start the same 2-3 man action on their side of the court should when the ball comes their way.

5 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

Stjohns1.gif

I slowed this down.

Was this one Jordy making himself so small and/or Watson trying to deliver it down there?

Also this is part of the motion offense we're trying to run, right? Watson as the option to deliver it down to Jordy or catch Copeland rotation to the top. On the other side Palmer and Taylor are spaced out ready to start the same 2-3 man action on their side of the court should when the ball comes their way.

That's a bad pass. And I (from Hubie Brown) always stressed keep your shoulders squared to the ball at all times to make yourself as large a target as possible. It also sets up seals on reversal passes but I know a lot of coaches don't stress that.

1 hour ago, dustystehl said:

Haha! But we DO miss him! Isn't it obvious that our offensive woes started the season after he left?

No, it is not obvious to me at all. I don't see any difference between the offence we ran when he was here and what we do now. There was that one year the ball went in more than usual for Nebraska but we were running the fundamentally same offense. 

4 minutes ago, Dean Smith said:

No, it is not obvious to me at all. I don't see any difference between the offence we ran when he was here and what we do now. There was that one year the ball went in more than usual for Nebraska but we were running the fundamentally same offense. 

Perhaps I use the departure of Craig Smith as a scapegoat. I think you're right - the ball just went in more that season. In addition to Petteway and Pitchford making a lot of shots, we had Gallegos that year, too. He couldn't be left alone. We don't have too many "can't be left alone" guys right now.

21 minutes ago, Dean Smith said:

Yeah, our offense was still pretty mediocre even with Smith here.  Smith to me was more of a "glue guy" for the program and Coach Miles IMO.  Our best year by far looks to be in 2016.  Unfortunately, that year we were a pretty poor defensive team so we still finished with a losing record.  The below numbers are pretty hard to stomach and unfortunately it doesn't appear that there have been any adjustments of our style of play that we can count on in the future. 

2013(total ranking)

EFG%- 297

3PT%- 304

2PT%- 272

2014(total ranking)

EFG%- 224

3PT%- 211

2PT%- 219

2015(total ranking)

EFG%- 287

3PT%- 341

2PT%- 156

2016(total ranking)

EFG%- 147

3PT%- 166

2PT%- 140

2017(total ranking)

EFG%- 328

3PT%- 308

2PT%- 313

2018(total ranking)

EFG%- 313

3PT%- 280

2PT%- 289

31 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Yeah, our offense was still pretty mediocre even with Smith here.  Smith to me was more of a "glue guy" for the program and Coach Miles IMO.  Our best year by far looks to be in 2016.  Unfortunately, that year we were a pretty poor defensive team so we still finished with a losing record.  The below numbers are pretty hard to stomach and unfortunately it doesn't appear that there have been any adjustments of our style of play that we can count on in the future. 

2013(total ranking)

EFG%- 297

3PT%- 304

2PT%- 272

2014(total ranking)

EFG%- 224

3PT%- 211

2PT%- 219

2015(total ranking)

EFG%- 287

3PT%- 341

2PT%- 156

2016(total ranking)

EFG%- 147

3PT%- 166

2PT%- 140

2017(total ranking)

EFG%- 328

3PT%- 308

2PT%- 313

2018(total ranking)

EFG%- 313

3PT%- 280

2PT%- 289

Thanks for this! I guess I'll just but all the blame on Miles now! Haha!

9 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

Stjohns1.gif

I slowed this down.

Thanks for showing this.  Bad pass and spacing here, but it was painfully obvious to me the entire game that Jordy could've had great post position on the low block every single play.  We could've put Jack or Roby at the 4 to space it out a bit more, but that was the matchup we should've been exploiting all night.  

10 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

Stjohns1.gif

I slowed this down.

Watson should have never attempted that pass.

Copeland makes a poor attempt to screen  #13 and #8 beats Watson to the point were he wants to pass the ball forcing Watson to reach to attempt the pass. Taylor and Palmer are acting as spectators. Watson should have recognized this. I liked how Jordy was using his body to shield off #1. St. Johns was determined to not let us beat them on the inside.

While Watson is a very good PG he is not that good at distributing the ball about a 1.1 assist/TO. 

3rd game of the season so I'm not giving up but I don't like the trend. We've seen this the last several years. It seems that every season we are building a brand new team. Losing Morrow and Jacobson hus really hurt us. If we could keep a core group of guys together for more than 1 year in a row we have a chance. This is no way to run a program especially one that is bad as we have been.

7 hours ago, Ron Mexico said:

Losing Morrow and Jacobson has really hurt us. If we could keep a core group of guys together for more than 1 year in a row we have a chance. This is no way to run a program especially one that is bad as we have been.

Nailed it. All the time spent debating Jacobson, Horne and Morrow's flaws, and drawing up imaginary lineups, and this is the bigger issue. What happened against St. John's is exactly what happens when you have heavy roster turnover. Nobody knows how to play together. 

The good news is that it's a long season, but the first look at how Miles has put together the pieces is brutal.