uneblinstu's postgame chatter: Vol: 10; ed: 3 - @ St. John's

uneblinstu

2 hours ago, TimSmiles said:

it's a long year, but definitely not encouraged by tonight. 

watson and copeland were suppose to be the stars of this team and went 3-18.

Allen 2 of 6, Gill 2 of 13, Watson 2 of 14, it's almost surprising we shot 28%. Oh, and BTW, can anyone play with their back to the basket or attempt a low post move?   

Edited by Handy Johnson

2 hours ago, uneblinstu said:

First half:

• St. John’s, from the opening tip, looked like they cared about this game. They came out aggressive and played with passion. NU looked surprised by that. SJU’s athleticism smothered NU’s guards. They were disruptive and pesky. The arena seemed to be fairly sleepy, not a ton of atmosphere. NU seemed to match that energy. St. John’s on the other hand, wasn’t gonna let that dictate their effort. They played with purpose and sensed opportunity. They punched NU in the nose and the Huskers recoiled.
  • It’s so annoying because it’s stretches of basketball like this that validates all the skepticism people have about this team and program. They are more talented than they showed in these first three games.
  • For as much was made about NU’s supposed advantage in the paint, it’s been St. John's that controlled it.
  • Watson’s foul trouble loomed large.

Second half:

• It turned into a street fight. The team from Queens won it. What kind of mental toughness does this team have?
  • After that technical foul on Palmer they called everything, that was NU’s opportunity. They couldn’t take advantage of it.
  • Copeland’s gonna make a 3 at some point, right?
  • Maybe it was St. John's athleticism, but NU didn’t look like much defensively, they really haven't in what I've been able to see from them all year. If they don’t figure that out soon, it’s gonna be a rough season. It might be anyway.
  • Maybe they're just a bad shooting team, but this was really bad tonight.

I’m super annoyed by this game. I don’t have much else to say right now.

It's always tough dissecting a beatdown like this. Thank you for doing so. 

I'm dumb. We always start the season poorly and every year I talk myself into the reasons why we'll come firing out of a cannon. This looked like the team who struggled to beat Eastern Illinois.

When we ran that 1-3-1 and St John's called a time out to draw up a play, wouldn't the chess board move have been to come out of the time out running man?  We immediately give up a corner 3.

I agree. Unleash Roby. Play him 30+. Insist that he shoot more. Make him the point forward if he can handle it. 

Has Jordy regressed or is he not physically/mentally recovered from that surgery. I don't know which one I should hope it is.

Can Duby only hit hook shots vs Jordy because I've seen him make some.  

Is Tanner Borchardt are best offensive center right now? Are we at some point thinking of working the ball into the paint?

I wasn't that upset with the Palmer T because it really didn't matter and at least it showed some spark. Can he harness his garbage talk? I feel like he should be taking more 3s but then who drives into the paint? 

Copeland looked a lot more aggressive on the boards at least in the first half. He's doing about everything we need him to do except for making 3s. It's tough because I think we need him to take those.

I don't blame Gill for missing all those 3s. It's not his strength and either the staff or his teammates needed to put a guy who hadn't played in 2 weeks in a better spot.

Those Taylor 3s were a nice bonus but overall it didn't seem like he had a good decision making night.

I don't know if we can win many games without good Watson performances. One of the worst nights of his otherwise stellar career here.

Can I buy Jack some beard growing gel? Bearded Jack makes 3. Also, has anyone blocked his shot yet? If he can shoot and make those shots, do so with someone in your face.

Give Allen the green light to shoot when he's out there.

The AD interview for like 15 minutes really threw off my game viewing experience. 

2 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Dale, you're like the angel of death.  You show up when things look bleak and everyone kind of checks their pulse to make sure they're not the ones dying.

When you show up it means something bad happened.

Norm, you’re like a labrador.  Dumb as shit but always sees the good in things.  Please never change.

9 hours ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Change the offensive gameplan? To be fair...we actually had quite a bit of open looks. But to also be fair...we have been bad on offense for years. I don’t see that magically changing unfortunately.  Not shocked we lost. But I am shocked at just how disorganized we are. Not good. Not good at all

Send em to ray Allen shooting school!!! 3 weeks of set pieces and mechanic training!!:angry: (for real)

10 hours ago, hskr4life said:

Raquetball?  Curling?  Cricket?  Calf Roping?  Barrel Racing?

Since I chose to go to the US Olympic Curling trials last night in Omaha, let's go with Curling. Based on what I saw on my Twitter feed and comments on this board, the Curling match was more entertaining.

32 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

I didn't see any post game during the game as well...

After that I suspect it was screw this and get back on a plane.

There should be a post-game show on radio i can pull up.  I don't know that we show up for post game pressers on most road games TBH

Ugly in every way possible.  It's only 3 games in, but there just seems to be nothing they do well, that they can fall back on.  With a lot of new faces, maybe the 'chemistry' or comfort of playing with each other will improve as the season goes along.

Hopefully this game was an anomaly, but past experience leads me to believe it was not.  Sixth verse, same as the first.

Most worrisome to me is that NU looked like they didn't belong on the court athletically.  Throw out the poor shooting, defense, rebounding, schemes, etc. that have been consistent over the last several years, if they're that physically overmatched by freaking St. John's, how can they expect to compete with the teams remaining on the schedule with better talent/coaching? 

P.S.

9 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

The AD interview for like 15 minutes really threw off my game viewing experience. 

Good grief, that was brutal.  After about 3 minutes I was screaming at the TV to get that goober out of there.

I stated in a post a few weeks ago that i thought we would get a W in Omaha this year but I am now taking that back until I see some real fight and shooting from this team. Once again I was caught up in the pre-season hype about how good the Huskers would be this year. I will not do that again. I really like Miles but he needs to show us that he can coach this team up. Roby needs to be on the floor as much as possible and I say we give Nana and T Allen more minutes and let them shoot the ball. That's why they are here. 

Edited by BigTate

11 hours ago, OmahaHusker said:

Allen can't drive

Reminded me of Tai a bit his freshman year. He'd been able to do a lot of that sort of thing at Brewster and probably wasn't playing talent capable of shutting it down. That's not gonna work at this level, certainly not against a springy 6' 11" dude. He'll make the adjustment, but he's gotta go through the rough stuff first.

5 minutes ago, BigTate said:

I stated in a post a few weeks ago that i thought we would get a W in Omaha this year but I am now taking that back until I see some real fight and shooting from this team. Once again I was caught up in the pre-season hype about how good the Huskers would be this year. I will not do that again. I really like Miles but he needs to show us that he can coach this team up. Roby needs to be on the floor as much as possible and I say we give Nana and T Allen more minutes and let them shoot the ball. That's why they are here. 

I guess crazier things have happened...but one team/program actually runs a competent offense and the other looks like they would rather be playing at Rucker Park.  Anybody know who is in charge of developing the bigs within the program?  I know Smith was tasked at doing that under Miles...but whose role is it now?  It's just 3 games in, and I know Jordy had some health issues in the fall but lack of development out of him is a bit alarming.  He has zero offensive game right now.  To think, in the offseason we actually discussed if he should be allowed to shoot threes.  :wacko: 

1 minute ago, hhcdimes said:

Kent: Matt, you want to check the stats here?

**Pause**

Matt: Seriously?

Kent: Well..uh..it's your job

Matt: I'll do it! Ok....not good Kent.

The FS1 crew didn't do their job for 15 minutes last night.  Let's interview the SJU's AD, and forget about the game.  I wish I would have recorded the game because Taylor hits a 3 to make it 19 - 16.  The announcer says something like "Ah, Nebraska has cut it to 3."