2020 recruiting...

whoopdeedoo

55 minutes ago, kansashusker said:

Staffs great relationship with and development of Nicole seeckamp from Australia who played for them in South Dakota and is n WNBA is serving them well in recruiting Australian kids 

i was thinking Seekamp was being recruited and made her decision while Ryun Williams was head coach. don't take it wrong, as evidently she liked what she saw in the new staff, also---and coach williams and staff have been able to keep that door open.

from an article on Seekamp:

Seekamp said she was hesitant to come to America at first, even though she was being heavily recruited by  assistant coach Ryan Larsen. He had recruited Seekamp for over two years, even making a trip to Australia to watch her play in their state tournament. She opted to stay in Australia for an extra year, which cost her a year of NCAA eligibility, but she is glad that she came to USD.

“Eventually I said yes because I thought it was a good place to come and I liked the coaches,” said Seekamp.

from another article:

By the time she graduated from high school in December 2009, Seekamp had already played in a number of national basketball events, among them: U18 Australia Championships, the Australia Youth Olympic Festival and the FIBA Oceania Tournament.

It was right around that time that a young assistant coach named Ryan Larsen from the University of South Dakota emailed Seekamp. The school, new to the NCAA Division I waters at that time, was interested in bringing Seekamp over to the United States.

Ultimately she stayed over in Australia for nearly two more years, but all the while remained in contact with Larsen – he is now the head coach at South Dakota Tech in Rapid City.

“He was like a brother to me,” Seekamp said. “We got really close. He was a huge part of me coming here.”

There were also options for Seekamp to come over and play for Oregon State University or the University of Wyoming, but she eventually decided to sign with USD in 2011. What was the ultimate deciding factor?

Trust, Seekamp will tell you, matter-of-factly.

“Coaches can tell you, ‘You’ll start,’ or ‘You’ll play a lot of minutes,’ but I felt like USD was really honest and truthful with me,” Seekamp said. “They seemed like it would be a great fit.

“I gave it a try and haven’t looked back since.”

And the USD women’s basketball program, now led by head coach Amy Williams (who took over for Ryun Williams, who was there when Seekamp joined), has benefited from her presence.

Edited by whoopdeedoo

16 minutes ago, kansashusker said:

I don’t think they recruited Seekamp but I think they coached her and have a great relationship with her 

absolutely---after Seekamp made her decision to attend USD, new head coach williams and staff built a great relationship with her. never doubted that part. i am sure a huge reason why Seekamp stuck it out.

Edited by whoopdeedoo

While the Lincoln Journal Star has an article on Ruby Porters commitment on the Husker Extra web page:

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/womens-basketball/nebraska-women-s-basketball-gets-commit-from-international-player/article_04af7c6a-0f2a-5c62-b4a9-0ce0e1616c5a.html

the paper chose to only include the following in the NE Area News on Tuesday in the paper copy and the e-edition!!  Pretty weak support of the NE women's basketball program!   I totally missed the below as I usually minimally look at NE Area News.

BASKETBALL: Ruby Porter from Adelaide announced her commitment to play for the Huskers women's team on Twitter. She’s a 5-foot-10 guard who is one of the top college prospects in Australia. She’s played with the Australian national team, and recently was on a three-on-three team that won the championship at the under-18 Asia Cup. ... The Husker women added four television appearances to the 2019-20 season. Nebraska will play on the Big Ten Network on Dec. 31 against Michigan State. Other appearances include: Duke Dec. 4 (BTN); Minnesota Jan. 4 (BTN); Wisconsin Jan. 9 (NET); Ohio State Feb. 2 (NET).