Kelsey Griffin and Chelsea Aubrey

hoop_head

Former Huskers Chelsea Aubrey and Kelsey Griffin are once again team-mates for Austrailian (WNBL) league Bendigo Spirit. 

The Spirit were expected to be contenders in the league but they've straight up dominated so far. Chelsea and Kelsey have been playing very well for a team that seems to have great chemistry. Tonight is the last chance for a while (from what I've found so far) we'd be able to see a live stream until playoffs.

There's a live stream link on that page as well as a schedule. I'll be tuning in about 1:30 AM Mountain tonight.

It was a really fun game to watch, and I'll be seeing more Aussie hoops. I like the way the refs let the players play the game and only seemed to blow when they had to.

Kelsey & Chelsea's team blew the other team up pretty badly. You would have recognized Kelsey easily...same hustle player. Shooting passing lanes, playing tough d, running the floor for easy hoops etc. Chelsea also played well, tough defense and knocked down a couple shots. 

Fun night of basketball as Huskers played really well and won and two former Huskers played really well and won. My two favorite teams to watch right now!!

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

The Spirit wrapped up first place in the playoffs and will face second place Dandenong Rangers Sunday 24 February at Bendigo Stadium, Tip-off: 4:00pm AEDT. The winner of that game will play in the final. Loser will face the winner of Adelaide Lightning (3rd) v Townsville Fire (4th).

Cory Montgomery's Logan Thunder sadly missed the playoffs. 

http://www.wnbl.com.au/index.php?id=375&tx_ttnews%5Btt_news%5D=4353&tx_ttnews%5BbackPid%5D=121&cHash=94e74ac440

My link in the original post to the ABC Australia site should work if you want to catch it live. It would be Saturday the 23rd around 11PM Central.

They have a facebook page with links to a lot of the games posted on youtube also. 

• 2 weeks later...

A little update before tonights semi final. KG ended the regular season tied for 1st in the league in steals at 1.8, 4th scoring 16.3 and 4th rebounding 8.1.  Chelsea was really solid all season, hit some big shots, always played great d.

A little KG interview here:

http://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/story/1319697/video-addy-sport-tv-kelsey-griffin/?cs=81

KG quote: "I hate losing. There's not a whole lot of things that quite irritate me as much as losing"

She talked about finding herself as a basketball player again and enjoying playing for her teammates instead of just playing for money. (paraphrasing, but that's what I got out of it)

Huskers vs. Hawkeyes up here pretty soon... this will be a great one to cap off the night. 

• 2 weeks later...

Tonight is the championship. Forgot to update after last game. It looked like Bendigo might be in trouble after the 1st half of the last game as they were down 10 points going into half time but Bendigo came out of the half on a 19-0 run and never looked back.

KG23 and Chelsea were both big, both started the game, and KG ended up with 16 pts and 14 rebounds in the win.

Tonight they face the Townsville Fire whose main import you might recognize of Gonzaga's Kayla Standish. 

Nice cap to the night after my Huskers losing. Chelsea and Kelsey really played big. For those who didn't delve, the Spirit are a rural team that almost had to fold because of financial reasons last year, now they're champions of the league. 

I feel like I watched Cinderella for the first time. It'll be posted to facebook soon for those who missed it.

• 7 months later...