uneblinstu's postgame chatter: Vol: 10; ed: 1 - Eastern Illinois

uneblinstu

Once the initial excitement wore off after 5 minutes, I think we kind of shied away from the feisty play EIU brought, outside of Roby blocking every shot taken in the city limits. The way he was going I thought he might get another block or two from the locker room on the little kids at halftime. Took a long time for NU to ratchet up the intensity level again after the first media timeout. EIU just outscrapped us for a good chunk of the game.

Jordy struggled offensively, but I thought he was the guy that really got our attitude back in the 2nd half. He started throwing his body around and I felt like he got the guys going. He also did a nice job shielding defenders in the lane in the 2nd half, opened up some driving lanes. And he had 2-3 great passes out of the post. So he certainly struggled - mightily - in some aspects, but I was encouraged that he found other ways to contribute.

After Turner was on the bench for that long stretch in the 2nd half, I thought he brought some nastiness on the boards too when he came back in. This team needs its big guards to rebound. And Glynn just took over late, showed a lot of toughness, because you could tell he was hurting.

Liked the way Allen played. He has a big time confidence to his game. Certainly wasn't perfect, but never shied away from anything either. When NU asked him to guard EIU's #2, I was really concerned, but I thought he did a nice job staying in front of him. When you think about where guys like Glynn and Tai were as true freshmen & where they are now/ended up, tons and tons of upside coming for Allen if he can follow that same trajectory.

Edited by throwback

27 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

Jordy, Gill, Okeke, and Mcveigh combined for 2 points. That CAN'T happen... 

Jack is clearly at the end of the rotation. If he's scoring, he'll stay on the floor. If he isn't, other guys are taking his minutes, like we saw last night. He's going to have to come in and get some shots up quickly and hit them if he wants minutes. His role is going to have to be instant offense.

Edited by throwback

38 minutes ago, throwback said:

Jack is clearly at the end of the rotation. If he's scoring, he'll stay on the floor. If he isn't, other guys are taking his minutes, like we saw last night. He's going to have to come in and get some shots up quickly and hit them if he wants minutes. His role is going to have to be instant offense.

It may also be matchup driven with Jack.   EIU was small, quick and athletic.  Not a game for Jack.  

1 hour ago, HB said:

Especially Gill.  I can't believe he went scoreless in zero seconds of action.  B)

I KNOW he didn't play, I can read a box score. Is he still "hurt"? From everything I heard and read he was good to go. All I'm saying is, if you have a starter and 3 main guys off the bench giving you TWO points, then you better pack a lunch...

Just now, Handy Johnson said:

I KNOW he didn't play, I can read a box score. Is he still "hurt"? From everything I heard and read he was good to go. All I'm saying is, if you have a starter and 3 main guys off the bench giving you TWO points, then you better pack a lunch...

Miles said all three were good to go for the game (unless something happened between when he said that and the game). Which means Gill might not be a main guy off the bench...

23 minutes ago, khoock said:

Miles said all three were good to go for the game (unless something happened between when he said that and the game). Which means Gill might not be a main guy off the bench...

Supposedly Gill was hurting a little bit.  Understandable.  

In reference to another post... I am not counting on Okeke to give us anything on the offensive end.  Everything he gives us will be a bonus.  As noted, Gill DNP.  Jack will be a wildcard.  He will have games where he goes off, and games where he doesn't play a lot.  Last night he didn't play a lot which is why scoring was lower and that is OK with me.  What I don't want from Jack is 10-15 minutes with no points.  Finally, Jordy didn't score a lot.  I would like to see that go up.  However, he did do some good things as mentioned in another post.

So while yes, I was a tad disappointed with the offensive production of a few players, they also either did some good things OR didn't play (or play a lot).  I think we will be ok.

To me... our main scores each night have to be Watson and Palmer.  One of those guys have to have a good night every night.  Then I also expect offense from Allen, Taylor, Copeland.  Then after all of those guys "get theirs," I would say we want Jordy, Roby, Okeke, Jack.  However, if Roby can play yesterday like every game, we will be tough when other guys are on.

A few other idle thoughts:

1)  We ran one zone set (1-3-1).  I believe that our length was causing issues, but the little 5'1" dude hit a tough shot.  We didn't go back to it.

2)  Perhaps the crowd would be a bit more spry IF they turned down the heat five or ten degrees.  Just saying...

3)  Game PA announcer still does meet my expectations. 

1 hour ago, hhcdimes said:

Specifically said groin injury during the pre-game with Kent.

Feel bad for the kid, Anton has dealt with this nagging injury for awhile now and it appears it will always be an issue moving forward. Never thought Duby would light it up, but I expected some put-backs at least. Jack needs to be more than just a stand still jump shooter, we need his length and Bball IQ on the floor.

Hi all. First post but long time die hard season ticket holder. Would consider myself one of the “6500” Lee B has made reference to. EIU was a strange team to gauge, feisty, sneaky athletic, and played loose. I wish Jordy had improved over the summer for better post moves but he does give us some rebounding. Jack had a play on a rebound where he didn’t quite squeeze it and it got poked away. On to North Texas. 

I thought that Jack played pretty good D last night. 

When he comes in his "job" is to stand and wait for the pass.  He got one.  So not all his fault for the rather weak stat line.

He is a heady player, just a bit slow against that team.

Edited by Silverbacked1

My concern with Jack is that offensively he is taking on the appearance of a one-trick-pony.  Perhaps that is his stated role, but he seems to gravitate to the three point line, and currently shows little versatility.  As a result, he is not getting any open looks. 

Now that I say that, Coach Miles did have a complaint last night with some players being a bit selfish on offense.  He specifically mentioned James.  He took the ball to the hole and he had two or three people collapse on him.  If our spacing is correct, that should mean two players are wide open.  I think once we get into offensive rhythm,  we are going to find those open players and will reap the benefits.  At least that is my hope...

And oh yes, lest I forget, welcome aboard Faux Mike Peltz

Edited by huskercwg

50 minutes ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

Hi all. First post but long time die hard season ticket holder. Would consider myself one of the “6500” Lee B has made reference to. EIU was a strange team to gauge, feisty, sneaky athletic, and played loose. I wish Jordy had improved over the summer for better post moves but he does give us some rebounding. Jack had a play on a rebound where he didn’t quite squeeze it and it got poked away. On to North Texas. 

Welcome.   It's a good place to hang out. 

Certainly agree with EIU being a bad matchup for McVeigh - and apologies if my reply earlier came off a bit harsh or anti-Jack. We're a better team if he's playing and contributing.

I guess my thought is that he only is going to play the 4 for us - maybe he gets minutes at the 3 in a big lineup where we're playing zone. Defensively, he just can't guard a 3 or a 5, I don't believe.

So at the 4 he's competing with Roby & Copeland for minutes. To take minutes from those guys, he has to be scoring, because he can't match Roby's rebounding and defense, and Copeland is just going to get better and better the healthier he gets/more minutes he plays - I liked his mid-range game last night and really am looking forward to seeing him make progress.

But when Jack is hot offensively, he can score in bunches, which I don't think those other two can do. 

For those reasons, It's going to be tough for the coaches to plan on playing McVeigh 20 min a game. He's the kind of player where I think he gets 5-7 min in the first half, and if he's scoring, you leave him in. If he's quiet like last night, he doesn't get many more minutes because you have some other really good options. 

He's going to have some big games, and some games like he had last night I'd guess. Love to see him earn more playing time, because that means he's scoring, and that makes us better.

Edited by throwback

7 hours ago, New huskers fan said:

Are there any links to listen to this game on radio still?

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk

If you go to Husker.com and follow the links you can listen to the radio broadcast on-line.  If you simply want to listen via the radio, you need to locate one of the Husker Sports Network stations:

2017-18 Husker Sports Network Stations 

• Ainsworth - KBRB-1400 AM
  • Alliance - KCOW-1400 AM
  • Beatrice - KWBE-1450 AM
  • Broken Bow - KBBN-95.3 FM
  • Chadron - KCSR-610 AM
  • Cozad - KAMI-1580 AM
  • Falls City - KTNC-1230 AM
  • Falls City - KLZA-101.3 FM
  • Fremont - KFMT-105.5 FM
  • Grand Island - KRGI-1430 AM
  • Hastings* - KHAS-1230 AM
  • Hastings - KLIQ-94.5 FM
  • Hiawatha (Kansas) - KLZA-101.3 FM
  • Holdrege - KUVR-1380 AM
  • Huskers.com & Husker App
  • Imperial - KADL-102.9 FM
  • Kearney - KGFW-1340 AM
  • Lexington - KRVN-880 AM
  • Lincoln - KBBK-107.3 FM
  • McCook - KSWN-93.9 FM
  • North Platte - KODY-1240 AM
  • North Platte - KXNP-103.5 FM
  • Omaha - KXSP-590 AM
  • Omaha - KKCD-105.9 FM
  • Scottsbluff - KNEB-94.1 FM
  • Scottsbluff - KNEB-960 AM
  • Sidney - KSID-1340 AM
  • Superior - KRFS-1600 AM
  • Superior - KRFS-103.9 FM
  • TuneIn.com & TuneIn App
  • Valentine - KVSH-940 AM
  • York - KAWL - 1370 AM

All games can be heard for free around the world on Huskers.com.

On 11/12/2017 at 6:31 AM, kleitus said:

If you hit elbows at 50% and threes at 35% the threes win over the course of a season.

If you shoot better it is obvious which wins.

Streakier but better math... Which is why it has been faded out.  Scoring explosions win games when you can play d along with it... Generally speaking of course.

Or you shoot 70% at the free throw area & 35% at three. ;)

Obviously some guys are not capable of either shot, but you gotta get guys to perform to their capabilities (wherever their range might take them).

Edited by AuroranHusker