Husker Signing Day

AuroranHusker

7 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

“I believe Nana may be one of the most underrated kids out there this year,” Miles said. “He has tremendous work ethic and commitment to the game. He is an exceptional athlete. He can really guard, his shooting ability is excellent and his range looks effortless. He will be expected to come in and help us immediately, and I know Nana is up for that challenge.”

https://www.cornnation.com/2016/11/10/13568810/nana-akenten-nebraska-huskers-basketball-letter-of-intent

1 minute ago, Norm Peterson said:

“I believe Nana may be one of the most underrated kids out there this year,” Miles said. “He has tremendous work ethic and commitment to the game. He is an exceptional athlete. He can really guard, his shooting ability is excellent and his range looks effortless. He will be expected to come in and help us immediately, and I know Nana is up for that challenge.”

https://www.cornnation.com/2016/11/10/13568810/nana-akenten-nebraska-huskers-basketball-letter-of-intent

Notice he said "help" and not "play."  I am sure that he is helping this year... even if he doesn't play.

46 minutes ago, lang said:

He was still in college in the early 80’s—fwiw.  

Oh yeah, I know. Was just referencing who he played with in the Pros. As far as OUR Xavier I'll coattail hal9000's thought and hope he DOES play right away. You can never have too many scorers/shooters.  

Edited by Handy Johnson

I love both of these pickups so much.  Heiman has huge upside and is way ahead of his age in terms of body control and ball skills.  He's the first legit 4-5 swing player since Walt, which really fits a need, IMO.  Being able to play "small ball" with a 6'10" mobile player at the 5 can be a tremendous luxury.  

I've said this before:  Xavier is my favorite prospect Miles has recruited.  He's a Thomas Allen level recruit.  What I love the most about him is that he is, without question, a TRUE point guard through and through, and an elite one at that.  He is extremely athletic and D1 strong, and his IQ is through the roof in terms of court awareness and setting up teammates.  He puts crazy pressure on the defense.  He and Allen at the 1-2 are going to be one of the best combos in the country as upperclassmen.  Unguardable.   This kid is an absolute coup.  

The one thing that sort of stuns me is that X has played a lot of basketball and at a pretty high level.  He plays for a Wooten whose name is right near the top of HS coaching royalty.  Yet his launch point on his jump shot is noticeably low.  Perhaps someone has attempted to change his launch point, and he doesn't want to, or can't, but it still stuns me.

11 minutes ago, LK1 said:

I love both of these pickups so much.  Heiman has huge upside and is way ahead of his age in terms of body control and ball skills.  He's the first legit 4-5 swing player since Walt, which really fits a need, IMO.  Being able to play "small ball" with a 6'10" mobile player at the 5 can be a tremendous luxury.  

I've said this before:  Xavier is my favorite prospect Miles has recruited.  He's a Thomas Allen level recruit.  What I love the most about him is that he is, without question, a TRUE point guard through and through, and an elite one at that.  He is extremely athletic and D1 strong, and his IQ is through the roof in terms of court awareness and setting up teammates.  He puts crazy pressure on the defense.  He and Allen at the 1-2 are going to be one of the best combos in the country as upperclassmen.  Unguardable.   This kid is an absolute coup.  

So - first thing - I need you to hang out with me on a daily basis just hyping me up.

Second, I actually agree with your hype here. I really think Xavier is special. If he has Glynn's toughness, I think he's a more athletic, explosive, better bodied version of GW. 

I think BH could be nice, but it will solely depend on if he's here to work and in the for the long haul or not. He has a lot of work to do. 

Jones, I can give you some hype, too. I watched a lot of extended highlight video of Brady on Hudl.  The kid has some legit tools. Now, I can’t speak to his work ethic or attitude, but he seems to have more than adequate athleticism for a guy his size to play at this level. He also has a good looking jumper with 3-point range. Probably needs to work on consistency and accuracy, but he has the platform to build on.

10 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Jones, I can give you some hype, too. I watched a lot of extended highlight video of Brady on Hudl.  The kid has some legit tools. Now, I can’t speak to his work ethic or attitude, but he seems to have more than adequate athleticism for a guy his size to play at this level. He also has a good looking jumper with 3-point range. Probably needs to work on consistency and accuracy, but he has the platform to build on.

I watched the same video and agree completely.  His HS coach spoke glowingly of his work ethic and said he basically manufactured his way into a D1 prospect with great work ethic.  Creighton offered him too.  

As for Wingett, I'm in agreement if it's a possibility (I think there's more at play here).  The kid is a fearless competitor and absolutely lit up the PBA.  

3 hours ago, uneblinstu said:

Ok, if we're breaking down players, thoughts on Wingett? I've been vocal in saying I want him here. I think he's got the game to play at this level and I think it'd be one heckuva story. I might be along on that island, but am I crazy to think he could be a contributor at this level?

I wonder if academics is (still) an issue. I may be wrong, but I believe Winnebago was hesitant to release transcripts, preventing his initial recruiting process from gaining momentum. Hopefully he's gotten some of that squared away. I would love to have a 6-7 guy who can score - especially if he's an in-state product!