2018-19 Husker opponents

AuroranHusker

Late on this and just repeating what others said, but I don't like Miss Valley State. We need them to be much improved over last year. Even if they are improved and they end up  being one of the best teams in SWAC, it's still the SWAC and the RPI will still drag because of the opponents' opponents' winning percentage.

To the poster who said every team plays these games - I say two things. 1) Remove the worst team from our schedule last year and replace it with a 200-RPI opponent and we go up 4-5 spots - not insignificant. 2) There was a team last year - Buffalo maybe -  who worked the RPI formula very well and had strong numbers all year long. It's not a requirement to play these 300-level teams.

2 hours ago, HuskerActuary said:

To the poster who said every team plays these games - I say two things. 1) Remove the worst team from our schedule last year and replace it with a 200-RPI opponent and we go up 4-5 spots - not insignificant. 2) There was a team last year - Buffalo maybe -  who worked the RPI formula very well and had strong numbers all year long. It's not a requirement to play these 300-level teams.

1. Does moving up 4-5 spots in the RPI get us in the NCAA tourney?  I doubt it.

2. Does 13 seed Buffalo and their sub 40 RPI even get in the tournament without winning their conference tourney?

The focus is beating tier 1 and 2 teams and not losing to anyone else. If we want to go on the road vs some mid-major team to add one more that would enhance our tournament resume (with risk involved). Hosting Stony Brook instead of Miss Valley St at home might create a slight RPI boost but come tourney time it wouldn't move the needle for us one way or another.

2 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

1. Does moving up 4-5 spots in the RPI get us in the NCAA tourney?  I doubt it.

2. Does 13 seed Buffalo and their sub 40 RPI even get in the tournament without winning their conference tourney?

The focus is beating tier 1 and 2 teams and not losing to anyone else. If we want to go on the road vs some mid-major team to add one more that would enhance our tournament resume (with risk involved). Hosting Stony Brook instead of Miss Valley St at home might create a slight RPI boost but come tourney time it wouldn't move the needle for us one way or another.

Yeah, I see what you are saying. But do keep in mind that tier 1 and 2 wins are not the only things that matter. It just felt that way to Nebraska fans last year because it was the metric that we were so sorely lacking in and so it's all we thought about. You just need 2-3 pretty solid wins that you can point to on the resume and once you get past that point, you remove this from being a potential black mark on your resume.

I have a hard time seeing Texas Tech being a top 30 team next year. These guys probably know more than me but they lost their best 2 players in Evans and Smith this year. Of course Smith wasn’t supposed to be a great player last year so maybe they have a great coach but you certainly can’t replace his athleticism and wing span that allowed him to play the four in one of the most unique roles in the NCAA last year. Evans was basically their version of Tyrann P last year so he’s a big loss too. 

• 2 weeks later...

Will be interesting to see if the Big Ten has 2 league games scheduled in early December again. Guess we'll find out Tuesday

NU has the Nov. 30-Dec. 2 weekend still open on its schedule. That would be the weekend they used last year, scheduling around the Big Ten Football championship game on that Saturday.

If they do that, that would leave 18 league games to be played over a 10-week span from Dec. 31 to March 10, so they could give teams 2 games a week with a couple of byes/1-game weeks. Much better than last year's condensed schedule.

• Nov 6 – Missi Valley St
  • Nov 11 – SE Louisiana
  • Nov 14 – Seton Hall
  • Nov 19 – Missouri St (at KC)
  • Nov 20 – Tex Tech/USC (at KC)
  • Nov 24 – W Illinois
  • Nov 26 – at Clemson
  •   ??? 2 Big Ten games ???
  • Dec 8 – Creighton
  • Dec 16 – Okla St (at Sioux Falls)

2 non-con games left to announce -- finals week is Dec 10-14, so we won't have any games during that week I'd imagine.

• Mar 13-17 – Big Ten Tourney

---

Also interesting, last year NU played 31 regular season games between Nov 11 and Feb 25 = 107 days

This year, NU will play 31 regular season games between Nov 6 and March 10 = 125 days

Should be helpful for our short bench in the front court.

• Nov 6 – Missi Valley St
  • Nov 11 – SE Louisiana
  • Nov 14 – Seton Hall
  • Nov 19 – Missouri St (at KC)
  • Nov 20 – Tex Tech/USC (at KC)
  • Nov 24 – W Illinois
  • Nov 26 – at Clemson
  • Dec 2 – Illinois
  • Dec 5 – at Minnesota
  • Dec 8 Creighton
  • Dec 16 – Okla St (at Sioux Falls)

Edited by AuroranHusker