Closed Scrimmage

bball23

1 hour ago, OmahaHusker said:

Let me ask the real question Jacob, is Palmer good enough to be able to score when Creighton puts Khyri Thomas on him or not? That's what we all really care about. (I'm kidding of course, but I'm also not kidding)

Imma let you finish, Jacob, but first - Yes, Palmer has the size and strength to cause Khyri some issues. HOWEVER, it's important to remember that KT is one of the best defenders in the country - everyone has problems with him. So I won't consider it a huge advantage gained by CU if Khyri was able to hold him below his averages (or whatever), because that's expected. 

Re: lack of players for the Cyclones

Proehm is very much a guy who plays games with only 6-7 guys. 

I can really find any meaningful games with which Proehm has played 10 guys.

Given how much Tally shot at Old Dominion (not necessarily at a high level) I wonder how much the game would have been different either way; same for Brase. (That would have given them 10)

In addition to the things already mentioned:

1.  Jack is getting open looks that aren't drawn up plays--that's a great sign.  Those are easier shots for him than trying to lose his man off of screens.  Hell of a stat line from him.  

2.  That's a heck of a jump from game 1 to game 2 for Allen, even if it seems a little understated.  Also, I actually think it's a great sign that those points weren't threes.  I think this kid will be impossible to guard by midseason.  He can shoot from anywhere on the court, but my only question mark about his offensive game was his ability to get to the rim at this level as a freshman.  

10 hours ago, Jacob Padilla said:

His jumper isn't just good from deep. He can shoot off the dribble as well as the catch; has that mid-range game in his arsenal. The tough part for most young, small guards is figuring out how to finish in the lane against length and athleticism. It will be interesting to see how he does in that area early on.

Is this in regard to Palmer or Allen?  By all accounts, Allen's jumper from deep was supposed to be a big part of his game. 

9 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Is this in regard to Palmer or Allen?  By all accounts, Allen's jumper from deep was supposed to be a big part of his game. 

I believe that might be an awkwardly worded sentence. I read it as his jumper is good from mid-range in addition to being good from long range.

12 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

I believe that might be an awkwardly worded sentence. I read it as his jumper is good from mid-range in addition to being good from long range.

I read it the other way (though I had to change some words around in my head).  I think he's saying Palmer isn't a good three-point shooter, so the fact he scored as many points as he did without making any threes is irrelevant; that's the way he's probably going to be.

???

We scored 90+ points last year and needed double OT to do so vs Iowa.

We have scored 90+ five times in the Miles Era.

Iowa St plays fast and probably didn't play much D in this one but it's not like we've been racking up 90+ scores vs the teams we pay to bring in here every year. 

Seems like this team might have a bit more firepower. Are we planning to use it?

25 minutes ago, atskooc said:

I read it the other way (though I had to change some words around in my head).  I think he's saying Palmer isn't a good three-point shooter, so the fact he scored as many points as he did without making any threes is irrelevant; that's the way he's probably going to be.

???

The addition of the young, small guards comment led me to believe it was about Allen.  Also, I did quite well on my ACTs back in the day.

29 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

The addition of the young, small guards comment led me to believe it was about Allen.  Also, I did quite well on my ACTs back in the day.

Looking back on the original post, I only read the first part of the post he was referring to (the part about Palmer).  I misinterpreted things based on that. 

My ACT score wasn't overly impressive.  ;)

35 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

We scored 90+ points last year and needed double OT to do so vs Iowa.

We have scored 90+ five times in the Miles Era.

Iowa St plays fast and probably didn't play much D in this one but it's not like we've been racking up 90+ scores vs the teams we pay to bring in here every year. 

Seems like this team might have a bit more firepower. Are we planning to use it?

Nebraska with Tim Miles at the helm has scored over 90 in some exhibition games. I'm assuming the "five times" is referring to only regular season games, though.

50 minutes ago, atskooc said:

Looking back on the original post, I only read the first part of the post he was referring to (the part about Palmer).  I misinterpreted things based on that. 

My ACT score wasn't overly impressive.  ;)

Remember the ACT score back in the day would be a much higher score than the ACT today.  At least that is what I tell myself.  

1 hour ago, AuroranHusker said:

Nebraska with Tim Miles at the helm has scored over 90 in some exhibition games. I'm assuming the "five times" is referring to only regular season games, though.

Correct. I'm putting more stock into a game I didn't see vs Iowa St than I am vs a non-D1 school.

From the ISU site...giggle, giggle...

Yesterday at 9:20 PM

Last edited: Yesterday at 9:34 PM
Against a vastly inferior opponent. Nebraska is, at least and more-or-less, picking on somebody our own size. I know I am reasoning a symphony out of one note, and I know how much game-to-game performance can vary even for great players over the course of an entire season, but, come on, it was for fun, and it is all we have right now.

I am glad we will have something to drink in terms of actual data the next few weeks.

I know some of you did not like the critical things that I said, but that box score was not the most encouraging at this stage. Focusing on the positives again -- DJack is a warrior and playing like the senior point guard that we are going to need him to be, Cameron Lard looks like an experienced sophomore, not a wet-behind-the-ears freshman, Beverly belonged on the court, and our offense seemed to click, even without the experience of Brase/Talley.

Assuming we get those two back and strong and Prohm can coach out some of the obvious mental errors in that box score, this team could be very competitive.

I cannot imagine our rotation being limited to 8 players this year.

Which two among the following are you going to keep off the floor in order to limit the rotation to 8?

Thomas Allen?

Jack McVeigh?

Isaiah Roby?

Anton Gill?

Duby Okeke/Tanner Borchardt?

I'd suggest AT LEAST 4 of the above 6 are going to see regular minutes in addition to the 5 starters.

And as I look at the roster, I think we're really going to have to hit the transfer market hard this next off-season.  Palmer and Copeland having good seasons would really boost our appeal in that regard.