Nebraska v Georgetown

Huskerpapa

I thought I would start a different thread on a topic that Coach Miles mentioned in his recent press conference.  To paraphrase Coach, he said:

The style Nebraska plays vs what Georgetown plays will be an adjustment for Isaac Copeland.

When I think of Georgetown, I think of two things.  Hard ass defense and an offense that plays inside out.  Meaning the focus of the offense is to get a shot inside the key. 

So the question I throw out is how does Nebraska compare and contrast to Georgetown basketball?

Pete Carril's  Princeton Offense has been one used by lesser teams but not always. The concepts are five players in constant motion played from the outside in focusing on cuts more than picks or posts. You need to leave the basket empty most times to be open for cuts but you can dive in to post. You need a good passing post player to pull it off. Depending on who is using it you can have pages and pages of rules regarding who cuts where and when. Players have to be basketball knowledgeable to make it work.  JTIII had been using a variation part of the time with more post ups to meet his personal.  The idea of hard ass defense and playing inside out kind of went away with the first JT. We will see if Patrick Ewing tries to bring it back.

I think Miles was talking mostly about the pace of the game. Georgetown was more half-court focused. The Princeton often takes a lot of the shot clock in order to create good looks. It's a very patient offense. I think Miles wants to push the pace a little more and he wants his guys to be more aggressive. He'll run a lot of motion offense with guys cutting all over the place as well, but he'll also run some spread pick-and-roll and give guys like Watson and Palmer a chance to make plays off the dribble.

3 hours ago, Jacob Padilla said:

I think Miles was talking mostly about the pace of the game. Georgetown was more half-court focused. The Princeton often takes a lot of the shot clock in order to create good looks. It's a very patient offense. I think Miles wants to push the pace a little more and he wants his guys to be more aggressive. He'll run a lot of motion offense with guys cutting all over the place as well, but he'll also run some spread pick-and-roll and give guys like Watson and Palmer a chance to make plays off the dribble.

Any good tidbits from practice yesterday? Seems like you were there with other reports but I have not seen any articles?

I need some info man :D, it will be a long month

7 hours ago, Art Vandalay said:

Any good tidbits from practice yesterday? Seems like you were there with other reports but I have not seen any articles?

I need some info man :D, it will be a long month

Can't give everything away, but James Palmer looked really good. Glynn is Glynn. I'm not ready to declare Evan Taylor an all-conference player (still saw some things that give me pause) but I will say that he looks a lot better than he did a year ago. I was impressed with what Thomas Allen showed as a shooter and P&R ball-handler. Isaiah Roby's shot form from 3 looks smoother when he has some time and space to get it off and he continues to show immense defensive potential. Jack's shooting was up-and-down but he was all over the offensive glass throughout the practice and his length really stood out. It was only practice three so they're just getting started.

5 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

Roby's defensive potential: who was he guarding? Thanks for the update, we're starving for news.

Two of the highlights of the practice were him rotting over to snag a baby-hook by Duby out of the air and Isaiah  manning up Duby in the post and ripping it from him. It's just practice so it's not like there were designed defensive match-ups or anything. But his length is still tremendous and he is looking pretty bouncy. 

Back in the day when I was learning to play competitive badminton (true story) you placed yourself in position to cover the court with a step and a slide.  I swear, when watching Isaiah on the court, he looks like he can cover the half court in that same step and a slide... 

8 minutes ago, ConkintheCorner said:

thoughts on how Copeland and Gill looked?  if you can comment

Anton moved pretty well. Shot well at the end of practice when the guys were just getting shots up. Didn't necessarily stand out in any way during the practice itself. 

Highlight from Copeland was a mid-post turn-around fadeaway jump that he cashed. Perimeter shot was very hit or miss.

1 hour ago, Jacob Padilla said:

Anton moved pretty well. Shot well at the end of practice when the guys were just getting shots up. Didn't necessarily stand out in any way during the practice itself. 

Highlight from Copeland was a mid-post turn-around fadeaway jump that he cashed. Perimeter shot was very hit or miss.

Do you get to attend practices?  If so, I appreciate it as any info is great and fun to hear what is going on.