2017-2018 KenPom Rankings Thread

49r

It's October, practice has begun and @jimmykc has had his quicky in the sack with Lindy so that can mean only one thing.  It's time to start this season's KenPom thread!  As always, Nebraska starts off with a triple-digit ranking and is mired near the bottom of the league standings.  Keep in mind these are the numbers as of the end of last season, KenPom won't release this year's rankings for a few weeks yet.

A little format change for this year, I thought it might be a fun exercise to put the numbers from the end of 2015 in parenthesis just to show how the B1G teams progressed over the season last year (let me know if you want to keep this feature going throughout the season).  Additionally, I listed the B1G teams that made the postseason and the round they eventually lost in.  NCAA is in Red and NIT in Blue.

Finally, don't forget to click here to see all the previous years KenPom threads.  Here we go!

KenPom rankings as of 4-03-17

=========================

B1G (0-0):
(14) -> 19. Purdue S16
(58) -> 20. Michigan S16

(33) -> 21. Wisconsin S16

(223) -> 37. Minnesota R64
(78) -> 38. Northwestern R32
(5) -> 40. Michigan State R32

(15) -> 44. Indiana 1st RD

(25) -> 46. Maryland R64
(132) -> 66. Illinois 3rd RD
(23) -> 71. Iowa 2nd RD
(80) -> 73. Ohio State
(146) -> 87. Penn State
(98) -> 107. Nebraska
(291) -> 135. Rutgers

Non-Conference (0-0):
220. Eastern Illinois
320. North Texas

---Gavitt Tip-Off---
99. @St. John's

168. North Dakota

---Advocare Invitational---
68. UCF F4
7. / 312. West Virginia S16 / Marist
99. / 156. / 225. / 264. St. John's / Missouri / Long Beach State / Oregon State

---B1G/ACC Challenge--- 
173. Boston College

28. @Creighton R64

---Shelter Insurance Showcase---
6. Kansas E8

251. UTSA
339. Delaware State
319. Stetson

20 minutes ago, 49r said:

oh, dammit.  I thought that was the exhibition.  Okay it's fixed.  Thanks @AuroranHusker

Yeah, playing Tony Romo's alma mater does seem like an exhibition for the Huskers... remember last season NU played Miles alma mater (University of Mary) in a regular season game? 

[Former Neebrasketball player Jeff Rekeweg and his Northwood (MI) team is NU's exhibition.]

Edited by AuroranHusker

6 hours ago, 49r said:

A little format change for this year, I thought it might be a fun exercise to put the numbers from the end of 2015 in parenthesis just to show how the B1G teams progressed over the season last year (let me know if you want to keep this feature going throughout the season).  Additionally, I listed the B1G teams that made the postseason and the round they eventually lost in.  NCAA is in Red and NIT in Blue.

Why 2015 ending numbers?  Was that a typo?

35 minutes ago, atskooc said:

I think it's because the 2016 ending numbers are the ones we're starting with right now. 

Correct, and the 2015 ending numbers are what we started last year with - I only wanted to show the progress through the season...like Rutgers going from 291 to 135.

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

Minnesota going from 223 to 37 shows what the realm of possibility is.

If you look closely, Minnesota last year mirrored pretty well what we did in 2014 200-ish range to high 30's with a long winning streak to finish the conference season.  One big difference seems to be they had a bit better non-con record, but it was against a quite a bit softer schedule than ours that year.

• 3 weeks later...

Good news everybody!  Just in time for the charity exhibitions, the new KenPom rankings are out!  Just a few housekeeping items to mention here.  First, the conference teams have the final rankings from last year as the first number in parenthesis.  The second number is the current ranking.  I will move those numbers into parenthesis with my next update (if everyone agrees they might be useful).  Also, I kept the color coding indicating postseason teams from last year.  Please give me feedback on if you think both of these features should be continued this season or if it's better to just go back to the way I was doing it before.

Second, Pomeroy has projected our final record based on these rankings to be 13-16 (6-12).  Naturally that omits the second two games from the Advocare Invitational so there is a chance to pick up an additional win or two there to get to right around .500 which is kind of where I expect this team to be by the end of the year.

Finally, I won't include exhibitions in the schedule, but in the "for what it's worth" category, Mississippi State enters the season as KenPom #59, Iowa State is #34, and Northwood is not included.  With all that said, here we go!

KenPom rankings as of 10-23-17

==========================

B1G (0-0):
(40) -> 10. Michigan State R32
(19) -> 17. Purdue S16
(38) -> 18. Northwestern R32

(21) -> 31. Wisconsin S16

(20) -> 32. Michigan S16

(37) -> 36. Minnesota R64
(87) -> 40. Penn State
(46) -> 41. Maryland R64
(71) -> 54. Iowa 2nd RD
(44) -> 65. Indiana 1st RD
(73) -> 78. Ohio State
(107) -> 98. Nebraska
(66) -> 104. Illinois 3rd RD
(135) -> 125. Rutgers

Non-Conference (0-0):
205. Eastern Illinois
303. North Texas

---Gavitt Tip-Off---
51. @St. John's

228. North Dakota

---Advocare Invitational---
60. UCF F4
7. / 307. West Virginia S16 / Marist
51. / 70. / 81. / 262. St. John's / Oregon State / Missouri / Long Beach State

---B1G/ACC Challenge--- 
95. Boston College

45. @Creighton R64

---Shelter Insurance Showcase---
5. Kansas E8

284. UTSA
347. Delaware State
313. Stetson
Edited by 49r

11 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

Penn St. at 40, huh?

Yeah, big year for Pat Chambers and the Lions.  The core of their talented kids from Philly are upperclassmen now and it's probably NCAA's or bust for Chambers.  They are probably the Northwestern type breakthrough team for the B1G this year.

27 minutes ago, 49r said:

PSA for stats geeks out there.  Ken Pomeroy will be fielding questions on Reddit this Thursday at Noon CST.  Could be a fun time....if you're into that kind of thing....

I would come off looking like such a nube, I'd piss off the guys with more of a handle on his stat stuff who had real questions to ask.

I'd be like "what's the little e in front of the FG%?"

By the way, does AMA stand for Ask Me Anything?

1 hour ago, AuroranHusker said:

How do Penn State and Illinois essentially swap positioning between April and October? Just curious if anyone knows the reasoning with zero games being played in that time-frame.

Penn St brings back a core of freshmen who played really well. In fact, they didn't have any seniors so they bring back the entire team.

Illinois graduated 5+ seniors and lost a 1 (or more?) guys to transfer. I think they have 11 guys on schollie, 5 of which are freshmen. 

33 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

Penn St brings back a core of freshmen who played really well. In fact, they didn't have any seniors so they bring back the entire team.

Illinois graduated 5+ seniors and lost a 1 (or more?) guys to transfer. I think they have 11 guys on schollie, 5 of which are freshmen. 

And Illinois has a new coach in Brad Underwood. Yet, Penn State has Pat Chambers.

Does coaching factor in?!?

Edited by AuroranHusker