---B1G/ACC Challenge--- 
81. Boston College - W

23. @Creighton - L

---Shelter Insurance Showcase---
9. Kansas - L

180. UTSA - W
351. Delaware State - W
309. Stetson - W

**Parenthesis after the Big Ten team names indicates the season starting KenPom ranking.

**Blue indicates NIT team from last year, Red is NCAA Tourney

Edited by 49r

Just now, HuskerActuary said:

Hmm, I wouldn't think so. Maryland is a bubble team. 

Would it be better for us to beat a bubble team or have bubble teams lose and us still beat them.

I would tend to agree with you and see the 2nd option.  I want bubbly teams to lose.  I would rather be 22-23 wins and other bubble teams have 19-20 than us be fighting for a spot with a team who has 20-21 wins.

I can see it both ways though.

Edited by hskr4life

1 minute ago, 49r said:

I'm thinking more that a Maryland win moves us to just half a game back of MSU for 3rd place.

The problem with this viewpoint IMO, is that if it come to be that we were to pass Michigan St. in the league, we are going to be in the dance anyway.  As far as strictly making the tournament is concerned, I see very little to no logic behind a Maryland win being helpful in that endeavor.  

9 minutes ago, royalfan said:

The problem with this viewpoint IMO, is that if it come to be that we were to pass Michigan St. in the league, we are going to be in the dance anyway.  As far as strictly making the tournament is concerned, I see very little to no logic behind a Maryland win being helpful in that endeavor.  

I certainly would take a Maryland win.  We could really use another quality win and I think only Maryland, and to a lesser extent, Penn St. could represent that until the Big tourney.  A win over a top 50 Maryland team and one that is on the bubble as well could make a difference to the committee, especially if there is a debate between Maryland and Nebraska.  

10 minutes ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

I certainly would take a Maryland win.  We could really use another quality win and I think only Maryland, and to a lesser extent, Penn St. could represent that until the Big tourney.  A win over a top 50 Maryland team and one that is on the bubble as well could make a difference to the committee, especially if there is a debate between Maryland and Nebraska.  

Would take or want a Maryland win?  I root for one thing or the other.  

29 minutes ago, royalfan said:

I must be missing something.  I cannot see any logical reason we would want Maryland to win today.  

Is Maryland going to be a top 30 team? If so then it provides us the chance to get a top 30 win at home.  Are they going to beat Mich St and Purdue on the road and lose to everyone else but us? Probably not but that's the possibility.

It's more probable that it's more important for us to get the first round bye in the tourney so Maryland losing would be beneficial.

20 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

Is Maryland going to be a top 30 team? If so then it provides us the chance to get a top 30 win at home.  Are they going to beat Mich St and Purdue on the road and lose to everyone else but us? Probably not but that's the possibility.

It's more probable that it's more important for us to get the first round bye in the tourney so Maryland losing would be beneficial.

I don't disagree with your logic which is why I think a Maryland win is helpful.  Maryland likely has at least two more losses coming so if we take care of them at home, I don't see any way we drop 3-4 more games and fall below them.  Having their RPI and KenPom around or better than 50 would be helpful for our computer rankings if we beat them.  The tiers are an important metric but the computer rankings are still one of the criterion in the room as well.  We are probably splitting hairs though, bottom line is we need to win and win in bunches.

There is not a 1-1 correlation there especially when I guess at what I expect Mich St to do the rest of the year.  I think Mich St. is going to figure it out some point relatively soon and start rolling again, which would help offset a small drop in RPI from a road loss.  I am arguing for having another higher quality win, so to that extent I am pulling for Maryland.  It won't matter though if we don't take care of business.

2 minutes ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

There is not a 1-1 correlation there especially when I guess at what I expect Mich St to do the rest of the year.  I think Mich St. is going to figure it out some point relatively soon and start rolling again, which would help offset a small drop in RPI from a road loss.  I am arguing for having another higher quality win, so to that extent I am pulling for Maryland.  It won't matter though if we don't take care of business.

Haha, looks like Mich St. figured it out at halftime

New to the board. What are everyone's thoughts on what we're going to need to do to dance? Unfortunately, I'm thinking we're going to need 23 wins. At minimum, 22. I know this is a KenPom thread, but I've been looking at RPI so that's what I'll be referencing.

Our RPI isn't climbing much at all anymore. We moved up one spot after last night's win, and I don't anticipate the rest of our games will help much more than that. The next two road games as well as the Maryland game would hopefully bump us up five spots apiece if we win them, but other than that there probably won't be much movement. If we finish 6-1 with a first round exit at MSG we're going to be 22-10 with an RPI around 55 (my estimate). That would be really cutting it close.

And actually, I don't know how much RPI will factor into the decision-making now that they're using the Quadrants. Sadly, the Quadrants are going to hurt us.

21 minutes ago, Cookie Miller Wasn't Dirty said:

New to the board. What are everyone's thoughts on what we're going to need to do to dance? Unfortunately, I'm thinking we're going to need 23 wins. At minimum, 22. I know this is a KenPom thread, but I've been looking at RPI so that's what I'll be referencing.

Our RPI isn't climbing much at all anymore. We moved up one spot after last night's win, and I don't anticipate the rest of our games will help much more than that. The next two road games as well as the Maryland game would hopefully bump us up five spots apiece if we win them, but other than that there probably won't be much movement. If we finish 6-1 with a first round exit at MSG we're going to be 22-10 with an RPI around 55 (my estimate). That would be really cutting it close.

And actually, I don't know how much RPI will factor into the decision-making now that they're using the Quadrants. Sadly, the Quadrants are going to hurt us.

Welcome...I think the general consensus is that 21 leaves us on the wrong side of the bubble, 22 and I think the opinion is split.  My opinion is that we are probably falling just short.  I think most everyone agrees that we are dancing at 23.  If we had just one of the wins against Kansas, Creighton, or Ohio St., I don't think you would see as much debate over whether it's better for us if Mich. St. or Maryland wins ?

23 minutes ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

Welcome...I think the general consensus is that 21 leaves us on the wrong side of the bubble, 22 and I think the opinion is split.  My opinion is that we are probably falling just short.  I think most everyone agrees that we are dancing at 23.  If we had just one of the wins against Kansas, Creighton, or Ohio St., I don't think you would see as much debate over whether it's better for us if Mich. St. or Maryland wins ?

Agree. Gotta just keep chugging along.