2017-2018 KenPom Rankings Thread

49r

33 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

The Michigan game is actually game 5 of the 3rd to last set of 5 games in the regular season.  We need to win it to have legit NCAA aspirations.

The next 5 games after that I think will be tough.  I think we need to get 2 wins in the @OSU, @Rutgers, Iowa, @Wisconsin, @Minnesota stretch.  Most likely wins would be @Rutgers and home vs. Iowa.  Lose either of those games and it's a bad loss.  Question is can we sneak a win somewhere else?  If we beat Rutgers on the road and Iowa at home, we only keep our NCAA hopes alive, we don't really improve them.  A win on the road at Ohio State, though, as unlikely as that might be, would really elevate our standing and put us squarely in the discussion provided we take care of business in those other two games.

The final 5 games of the regular season are all winnable.  All of them.  And we can ill-afford to drop any of them in order to maintain our NCAA hopes.  Only if we beat Ohio State on the road can we afford to drop one to Illinois in Champagne in that last stretch.  Otherwise, we host Rutgers, Maryland, Indiana and Penn State.  We cannot lose any of those games.

So, there you have it.  That's the blueprint.

I find the next 5 to be rather winnable. It’s always tough to win on the road and OSU is by far our toughest of the next 5, but those other road games are extremely winnable. Rutgers, Minnesota, and Wisconsin will most likely finish the season in the bottom third of the conference. Road games we MUST win. Iowa is very winnable at home too. For me, 3-2 is the bare minimum and I expect 4-1 with a loss to OSU. WE GO 4-1 we are sitting nice at either 8-5 or  9-4 in conference play depending on the result of the Michigan game 

That was the signature win this team desperately needed.  Here is today's KenPom update:

KenPom rankings as of 1-19-18

=========================

B1G (5-3):

2. Purdue (17) - L

5. Michigan State (10) - L

12. Ohio State (78)

28. Michigan (32) - W
38. Maryland (41)
54. Penn State (40) - L
65. Nebraska (98)
66. Minnesota (36) - W
84. Northwestern (18) - W
89. Wisconsin (31) - W
92. Indiana (65)
93. Illinois (104) - W
98. Iowa (54)
117. Rutgers (125)

Non-Conference (9-4):
241. Eastern Illinois - W
185. North Texas - W

---Gavitt Tip-Off---
78. @St. John's - L

226. North Dakota - W

---Advocare Invitational---
83. UCF - L
321. Marist - W
214. Long Beach State - W

---B1G/ACC Challenge--- 
74. Boston College - W

18. @Creighton - L

---Shelter Insurance Showcase---
10. Kansas - L

200. UTSA - W
350. Delaware State - W
305. Stetson - W

Sad thing is some of the teams we played early have suffered injury/eligibility issues and underperformed after playing us. St. John’s, for example, lost their second best player to a season ending injury.  Minnesota was a better win when we beat them early in the year, too.

North Dakota got a guy hurt in our game and I can’t think who else but there was another team that had one of their better players go down in their game against us.  Affects our resume. Some of those wins would look a bit better; some of the losses not so bad.

2 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

BC, Deontae Hawkins, Norm.

That's the one.  

And he was averaging 12 ppg and 9 bds up to the point in time we played them and he suffered a season-ending injury in the game against us.

They beat #1 Duke shortly thereafter, but dropped a 1 point game at #9 Virginia and lost by 4 to #25 Clemson.  Put him in the lineup and they might win both of those games.  In which case, that might have been a Tier 1 win for us.  Instead, they're Kenpom #74.

14 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

BC, Deontae Hawkins, Norm.

Also, Umoja Gibson from North Texas, talented freshman who put up 19 points in their first game of the season before suffering a season-ending injury in the first half of game 2 against us.  I'm guessing from looking at their schedule that they've probably lost to some teams they wouldn't have if he hadn't gotten hurt.

2 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Also, Umoja Gibson from North Texas, talented freshman who put up 19 points in their first game of the season before suffering a season-ending injury in the first half of game 2 against us.  I'm guessing from looking at their schedule that they've probably lost to some teams they wouldn't have if he hadn't gotten hurt.

And, don't forget Mo Wagner, whose feelings were hurt last night...........

;)

Edited by AuroranHusker

32 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

And, don't forget Mo Wagner, whose feelings were hurt last night...........

;)

I'm sorry, are you talking about Mo Vog-ner or Mo Wag-ner?

It's possible Mo Vog-ner might return, but I think Mo Wag-ner is done for the season.  

Chronic butt-hurt is usually a 6-8 week recovery.

23 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

I'm sorry, are you talking about Mo Vog-ner or Mo Wag-ner?

It's possible Mo Vog-ner might return, but I think Mo Wag-ner is done for the season.  

Chronic butt-hurt is usually a 6-8 week recovery.

Only under the skilled care of a sports proctologist. Left untreated it just "sits" there and festers.

On 1/19/2018 at 9:53 AM, Norm Peterson said:

That's the one.  

And he was averaging 12 ppg and 9 bds up to the point in time we played them and he suffered a season-ending injury in the game against us.

They beat #1 Duke shortly thereafter, but dropped a 1 point game at #9 Virginia and lost by 4 to #25 Clemson.  Put him in the lineup and they might win both of those games.  In which case, that might have been a Tier 1 win for us.  Instead, they're Kenpom #74.

Add to list.